Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Prof organizers help me help a friend

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 6:01 pm
I offered to help my friend whose house is flying to just reduce clutter, make systems etc purely as a favor. But is there anything I should know or keep in mind? Any tips or tricks? (like - should I come with tons of garbage bags??)

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 6:12 pm
I have unlimited garbage bags šŸ˜˜
I'm very excited lol

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 6:17 pm
Look through Pinterest it can help you get ideas even if it's not exactly the same I get a lot of ideas that way then I make it work with my space/ budget

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 6:19 pm
Oh my god. CRINGE. anyway im super jealous of you op! I find decluttering to be super therapeutic. Hard work that you really can see the fruits of your labor after, and getting a mitzvah while ur at it!
Which parts of the house? Maybe I have some advice?
A label maker is always handy especially it the person whos house it is wont be able to find her own stuff..

wife2

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 6:36 pm
Bring a lot of empty containers of different sizes to help sort toys and other stuff.

https://www.michaels.com/stora.....04261

You can get for very cheap. You need to get things with closed lids or everything will be knocked over and fall all over the place.

There are also closet organizers

https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor.....psc=1

You don't need to buy before, but see what she has and then get an organizational system to keep stuff in. Without that, you won't be able to stay organized. I am happy to help with more specific questions. Or use google - there is no end to online organizational hacks.

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 6:38 pm
I would advise going thru each item together with her & let her decide if she still needs it or not. Of course, help her along, to help her let stuff go, but let it ultimately be her decision, if not she will just be resentful that you threw out her stuff

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 6:51 pm
check out minimal mom on youtube. she has great videos all about decluttering!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 6:52 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Oh my god. CRINGE. anyway im super jealous of you op! I find decluttering to be super therapeutic. Hard work that you really can see the fruits of your labor after, and getting a mitzvah while ur at it!
Which parts of the house? Maybe I have some advice?
A label maker is always handy especially it the person whos house it is wont be able to find her own stuff..

Why the cringe? It's a win win, she wants another pair of hands and I get to spend time with her.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 6:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why the cringe? It's a win win, she wants another pair of hands and I get to spend time with her.

Cuz shes on this thread saying hi Hiding

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 7:06 pm
Iā€™m not a professional organizer but I did a huge decluttering binge last year on my entire House, I basically followed Marie kondo for bedrooms, Laundry room, bathrooms, linen closet, and other random spaces. I watched her on Netflix and went by her tutorials on you tube, especially how to fold. but I went room by room, closet by closet, although she advises not to. That worked for me The playroom and kitchen I found difficult to us her method, just went through random organization posts on Pinterest for those areas.

Declutter first, then get necessary Storage containers. I got a lot from target/ Walmart, and amazon. Must measure spaces to get the optimal size contains!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 7:31 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Cuz shes on this thread saying hi Hiding

Nah unlikely
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics