Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
S/O Feminism
Previous  1  2  3  4

gingertop

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:40 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Those are the operative words, IMO.

Yes, they're operative and I guess I should probably get off this site before I start sounding more defensive about my choice than I already do.

I think some people (not you, PF specifically, but some people) are overthinking or projecting their own personalities too much onto this discussion.

There are different people with different personalities and if some would find an expanded knowledge of Torah Sh'Baal Peh a journey that would lead to greater closeness to the Giver of the Torah, why is their decision being second guessed as "trying to be equal to the men"? Where is such a ridiculous notion even coming from? I love being a woman and would totally say a bracha shelo asani ish very happily. I do not have any desire to be man like in any way.

Why do we keep hearing about different ways *other* people find spiritual fulfillment? First of all, it's not a binary choice. We all have time that we waste (or we wouldn't be here). And second, when I learnt chumash in depth, I felt closer to Hashem, prouder to be Jewish, and more inspired to do mitzvos than most of the time when I'm davening (yomim noraim being the exception). Learning does different things for different people so why can't we just leave it at that.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 6:39 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Regarding gm the learning why not choose something like Halacha to learn,Chumash Rashi, pirkei avos all these stuff are amazing I learned in school Megillah if I had time I would learn that none of these are men’s learning no one would think your trying to compete. Verses when someone wants to learn Gemara I feel there’s so much more to learn but they chose the mans learning to compete.

Women who learn are not learning to compete with men. They are not learning Gemara because men learn Gemara. They are learning Gemara for the same reason(s) that men learn Gemara - to gain deeper understanding of our religion and to connect to our Creator.

From an article on OU.org entitled “Why We Learn Gemara”: “So why are our husbands, children, and brothers devoting thousands of hours a year to studying these things? Because Jews, like the American Association for Forensic Science, have an intense desire to understand the Lawmaker’s desire, and to comprehend the principles that lie beneath all the laws of the Torah. Studying only pertinent laws such as the laws of Kashrut, Tzitzit, and Shabbat, wouldn’t necessarily allow them to plumb the depths of Torah understanding, or the boundaries of its wisdom. To get to the greatest understanding of the Torah and its Writer, we need to go to the furthest reaches, and analyze things at the edge!”

Gemara learning resonates with me. It makes me feel more alive and more connected. The reason mentioned in the OU article applies to me (and many other women) as well as to our husbands, children, and brothers.

As it says in Gemara (Avoda Zara 19a): לעולם ילמוד אדם תורה במקום שלבו חפץ

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 8:46 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Seriously? A man's word was the law of the house. If there was a conflict of opinion, it was the man who had his way. Men ruled over the house, all property acquired by a woman belongs to her husband. Women's employment were mostly in low status jobs. Women were considered to be less intelligent & the weaker gender. Women were not to hold any political offices.

And just look at the Torah laws - aren't they based on patriarchy?

If it were purim id think u drank before megillah reading and took ahaseures words too literally King
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics