Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Saying tehillim at night

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 10:33 pm
At night I say tehillim sometimes it's when I can connect to hashem or need to get things off my chest

I remember hearing your not supposed to. But can I?

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 10:35 pm
Youre not supposed to unless its something like maybe someone is critical chv...

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 10:51 pm
According to Kabbalah (I believe) one should not say (learning is fine) Torah Shebichsav at night, except for a Refuah Sheleimah for someone.

HOWEVER, DH was listening to a shiur by a big Rav (don't want to name him in case I'm not quoting precisely) who said that this is only if you are choosing between (I.e.) Tehillim or Mishnayos, not if it will be Tehillim or novel-reading.

IOW, it's not a BAD thing to say Tehillim at night, but should not be your first choice if you have another subject to say/learn.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 10:58 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
According to Kabbalah (I believe) one should not say (learning is fine) Torah Shebichsav at night, except for a Refuah Sheleimah for someone.

HOWEVER, DH was listening to a shiur by a big Rav (don't want to name him in case I'm not quoting precisely) who said that this is only if you are choosing between (I.e.) Tehillim or Mishnayos, not if it will be Tehillim or novel-reading.

IOW, it's not a BAD thing to say Tehillim at night, but should not be your first choice if you have another subject to say/learn.

Thanks

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 12:31 am
I have a super frum woman in my neighborhood who runs a tehillim group every morning and is VERY into it. Once someone asked her to go to another group at night and she said, "No, we don't say tehillim at night." That's how I grew up.

I always heard it brings out the Shaydim - did anyone else ever hear that? It's "spooky" and makes no "sense" but that's what I've heard.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 6:09 am
https://www.torahanytime.com/#.....91246 Rabbi Eliezer Krohn, halachos of saying Tehillim.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions