Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Food ideas. No kosher food
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 7:38 pm
I am going away next week with my husband and kids and some other family members. ( Sunday till Friday) There is no kosher food (chabad is going to be three hours away and extremely pricey) I don't know about cooking facilities but assuming not really as we are changing hotels a few times and doubt there will be. We can get fruits and veggies there and possibly some other basics in a supermarket. What would you bring along? I have pretty picky kids.
So far was thinking instant soups and cans.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 7:44 pm
No fridge or ice?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 7:47 pm
Non perishable items that you can take are dried salami/beef jerky/beef sticks, tuna pouches, mayo packets, natural dried fruit leather, a]applesauce pouches, nuts, granola bars, protein bars, chocolate, peanut butter, rice cakes...

Humus if you find the non perishable cups...

Soup cups, instant oatmeal, instant lentil/rice cups if you'll have access to boiling water from a clean coffee maker or if you take along a camping hot water insertion piece...
https://www.amazon.com/Travel-.....r=8-6

You can also take shelf stable/no refrigeration needed ice cappuccino (if you're checking in luggage and can bring liquids)...

If you'll have access to a microwave you can take the shelf stable Meal Mart Amazing Meals that are double wrapped and don't need refrigeration...

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 7:49 pm
I cant help you with picky kids. When my children were smal they knew that you est what there is or we stay home.. Simple

For you , I would take aling plenty of LaBriut meals.

thriver

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 8:05 pm
Couscous and bulgur can be made in a tin pan using equal amounts of boiling water to couscous/bulgur. Cover and leave for ten minutes and it will be fully cooked. No need for a flame.

Canned tuna.

If you have access to a fridge, hot dogs and deli and you can bring along a George foreman type of grill.

Nuts.

Oatmeal packets.

Noodles can be cooked in a plug in rice cooker.

Peanut butter

ayintova

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 8:08 pm
Do you have room to bring a toaster oven or crock pot/instant pot? We have gone on vacation with one. Also portable outdoor grill if it’s warm where you are. Ours runs on a small propane tank the size of a water bottle. We bring a cooler filled with frozen meat.

jfk92

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 8:10 pm
Ive taken appliances with me. Sandwich/ Panini maker for instance goes along way. Veggies and eggs -> omlettes. fruit with flour milk sugar and eggs-> pancakes or get shelf stable bread and its french toast. Potatoes (sliced really thin so it doesnt take forever) you've got French fries. You can get really creative. Oh and I have a tiny coffee machine which ive cooked pasta in.

For fleishigs its difficult but ive brought dried salami (if you have a fridge/freezer you may get away with more- like making shnitzel at home - itll be room temp for the first night).

There's tuna and salmon in a pouch that's ready to go or you can add mayo and veggies w some pita. Its not heavy when its in a bag vs can.

No matter where ive traveled ive always found kosher chummus and peanut butter. Those make for a great snack with fruits and veggies.

Otherwise its more about canned/instant food. Which you try to freshen up with your fruits and veggies.

Gl

yamz

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 8:20 pm
I could probably give you more relevant suggestions if I had more information.
What kind of accommodations do you expect to have?
Do you eat cholov stam?
How much cooking/food prep are you willing to do?
Since I don't have much to go on, here are some random suggestions. Take what is useful to your situation and leave the rest.

I assume you will have some kind of counter space if you are going to cut up fruits and veggies in your hotel rooms. If you don't have any counter space, stick to baby carrots, bananas, apples and blueberries which don't need to be cut. If your kids eat them you can also bring a can opener with cans of baby corn and Israeli pickles.

Bring some wraps and/or sliced supermarket bread (the type you buy in the grocery that has preservatives so it will stay fresh for a few days). You can bring a jar of peanut butter and tuna pouches for sandwiches.

Consider starting your trip with a cooler. Ice is readily available on the road and you can keep things cold for a few days. Now you can bring vaccuum packed cold cuts and grilled chicken cutlets from home. Even if you are flying, you can bring a small cooler as a piece of luggage.

You can request a refrigerator in most hotels. It may be small, but it should hold a few packages of meat. If you eat cholov staam, you can buy cereal, yogurt, and milk locally and keep the dairy in the fridge in your room.

Consider bringing an instant pot or electric skillet with you. You can make one pot meals in an instant pot. An electric skillet is really versatile. You can make many simple meals this way. Cook a big batch of scrambled eggs, make pasta, stir fry, rice, the list is endless.

If your kids eat those little snack bags all the time, don't forget to bring those with you, you won't find them on the road.

imasinger

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 8:29 pm
How old are your kids?

What do they eat? How picky are they about food temperature?

How are you traveling? A car or van could potentially take a small microwave, grill, or camp stove; a plane would not.

Can you consider pooling cooking with other family members?

Would you consider talking to hotel staff about heating triple wrapped frozen meals in their ovens? Many are willing to accommodate you if you ask nicely.

Your best bet may be to brainstorm foods that they like, then make a menu of meals for each of the days.

It sounds like you will have a wonderful adventure!

dankbar

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 8:39 pm
If you take along a small sandwich maker to plug in for dairy you can do lots of stuff like grilled cheese/panini. Warm up frozen pancakes/blintzes/pizza.pizza snaps/falafel balls. You can even make omelettes on it.

For fleishig you can take along a foldable hot plate-griddle & grill chicken strips, rib steak, veggies, potatoes & sweet potatoes.

You can fry burgers or shnitzel on it too.

Take lots of dry stuff rice cake, melba toast, crackers, pretzels, pita, ww bread, bagged mini rolls, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, flatbread,

String cheese & cold cut packets can last you a little without a fridge.
You can take along powdered milk or shelf stable milk & use with cereal.

Frozen shnitzel or burgers you can use next day when defrosted & use cold.

Blintzes you can freeze & use defrosted next day cold, same thing with cheese latkes, lukshen cheese kugel.

Most butchers can vacuum pack or can any of your own cooked food

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 9:14 pm
ra_mom wrote:
No fridge or ice?

No idea yet

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 9:29 pm
Ok thanks so much! Here is more info
We are flying. Flight is about 4 hours. It's a tropical country so really hot there. We are staying in a few hotels but honestly not sure how decent they will be. I am planning on being an electric hot water plug in thing. I actually have an instant pot I never used so maybe I can take it.
My plan so far was to take:

Breakfast: cereals/oat packets/fruit etc
Lunch: hardest meal for me. My kids doesn't eat fresh veggies nicely, don't eat tuna or sardines, they like cheese but it's hot there so not sure how long I can keep it for honestly, I may be able to take a grilled cheese/waffle machine with me.
We will be out and about each day so needs to be portable.
Supper: instant soups with noodles (I usually don't but them so still decing on this) and also my kids like the rice and lentil cups so some of those. They like canned chilli so I can bring tortilla chips to eat with it.

I am planning on taking some deli for dh but no one else likes it....but I don't know about a fridge so no idea if it will even stay good yet.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 9:33 pm
dankbar wrote:
If you take along a small sandwich maker to plug in for dairy you can do lots of stuff like grilled cheese/panini. Warm up frozen pancakes/blintzes/pizza.pizza snaps/falafel balls. You can even make omelettes on it.

I may bring along a sandwich maker/waffle.machine.

For fleishig you can take along a foldable hot plate-griddle & grill chicken strips, rib steak, veggies, potatoes & sweet potatoes.

I can't brings my real meat into this country. I am gonna try to take some cold cuts but not even sure I can do that. I am still finding out.

You can fry burgers or shnitzel on it too.

Take lots of dry stuff rice cake, melba toast, crackers, pretzels, pita, ww bread, bagged mini rolls, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, flatbread,

That's the plan

String cheese & cold cut packets can last you a little without a fridge.
You can take along powdered milk or shelf stable milk & use with cereal.

We dont really drink milk. I may take some almond milk but not a necessity.

Frozen shnitzel or burgers you can use next day when defrosted & use cold.

Blintzes you can freeze & use defrosted next day cold, same thing with cheese latkes, lukshen cheese kugel.

I give every little dairy so just bringing some cheese to eat with crackers/bread. Nothing else.

Most butchers can vacuum pack or can any of your own cooked food

I will have a problem taking that in to where j am going I think.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 9:36 pm
imasinger wrote:
How old are your kids? Aged 3-8

What do they eat? How picky are they about food temperature? Pretty picky Rolling Eyes

How are you traveling? A car or van could potentially take a small microwave, grill, or camp stove; a plane would not.
Plane

Can you consider pooling cooking with other family members?
Yes we are all going to be together but I want to make sure I have sufficient stuff for my kids without relying on them.

Would you consider talking to hotel staff about heating triple wrapped frozen meals in their ovens? Many are willing to accommodate you if you ask nicely.

I don't know if they will do that....

Your best bet may be to brainstorm foods that they like, then make a menu of meals for each of the days.

It sounds like you will have a wonderful adventure!

trixx

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 12:07 am
One pot (cheap lightweight one) and an electric burner can...
Fry eggs
Hard boil eggs
Cook pasta
Cook instant rice (rice pilaf etc)
Cook instant rice and you can stick salmon and veggies on top
Steam fresh or frozen veggies
Boil hot water for instant things

Master the instant pot before bringing it with you. It's super heavy and has a learning curve.

mlc

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 12:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am going away next week with my husband and kids and some other family members. ( Sunday till Friday) There is no kosher food (chabad is going to be three hours away and extremely pricey) I don't know about cooking facilities but assuming not really as we are changing hotels a few times and doubt there will be. We can get fruits and veggies there and possibly some other basics in a supermarket. What would you bring along? I have pretty picky kids.
So far was thinking instant soups and cans.

Freeze cold cuts so they will stay fresh as you travel. No cooking required Smile

You can make deli sandwiches, my picky eaters love those

malki2

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 12:19 am
Personally, I thought the La Briute meals were terrible. What I did find to be really good (and cheap) are the boxed Meal Mart meals. They have a large variety and they are 5 bucks a box. They have chicken, brisket, salmon, stuffed cabbage, shwarma, cholent, and more. And they taste pretty good. And they are non-perishable and are double-wrapped so they can be microwaved.

Another more expensive alternative if you live near Brooklyn is Pomegranate. They make packaged travel meals. They either double wrap in foil so you can have the hotel heat them in their oven or they package them for microwave. They have a milchig and fleshing menu.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 2:42 am
If u can take a Betty Crocker pizza maker you can do a ton.
Eggs for breakfast or cheese panini.
Lunch or dinner- salmon, potatoes
You can grill some veggies on it
Or hotdogs if fleishig

thanks

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:20 am
Pancake mix - buy the ones that are powder and need only water. You can make them in your sandwich/waffle maker.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:28 am
Thanks for all the ideas!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics