Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Playing alone

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 9:09 pm
My three year old daughter will not play alone. The only time she plays nicely is if I'm sitting with her on the floor. Even if I answer a quick phone call, she will stop and wait for me. I lover her dearly and I do sit with he a lot, but there's a limit... Very Happy How can I get her to play alone? Is this a stage that will pass? Or is it her personality?

amother
Purple

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 9:31 pm
Wow. Could have written this WORD FOR WORD!! Would love some advice as well.

I think its definitely a personality type. But I also think (hope) it will improve somewhat with time and maturity.

What is also interesting is that when my DH watches her she plays alone more (not so long but 20 minutes or so- much longer than she would ever play alone if I were home). I think because she knows he will not play with her the same way I would. When I am home she follows me around non stop and is simply not interested in her toys (Of which she has many!). I try to start her off with a game or dolls or coloring for a few minutes then causally start doing something else but it doesn't work.

It really saps my energy. When she goes to sleep at night I literally just detox on the couch for 40 minutes. (BH BH not complaining just venting)

SnowLeopard

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 9:57 pm
My daughter was like this at age 3 too. At age four, she plays really nicely by herself and it has been amazing! Hopefully you will have that experience soon too!

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 9:58 pm
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this issue!!! I go through this too (thank g-d! No complaints) and I lose my mind sometimes. It really takes a lot of energy out of me !!!

SingALong

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 11:12 pm
My almost 3 yr old is the exact same. I thought he’s just a major social butterfly! And it’s probably also the developmental stage they’re in. My playroom is adjacent to my kitchen so he can literally see me making supper, cleaning etc while he’s several feet away playing. But he only wants me in there with him. Even if I sit on the couch and talk to him while he plays, that’s no good he wants me to sit on the floor and play with him. Ow my aching back!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics