Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Food ideas. No kosher food
Previous  1  2

sky

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 5:33 am
You don’t have to take grill cheese maker with you. Make sandwiches in the morning in hotel and then just take with you.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 5:37 am
Ok. You're going by plane. Your kids are ages 3-8.

You aren't comfortable asking the hotel restaurant about heating triple wrapped meals for you.

Are you traveling internationally? Do you have to worry about bringing your food, and customs?

Does the rest of your family keep kosher? If not, in recognition of the hardship this imposes, would they help you pitch in for the expenses? Sounds like a portable grill and electric hot pot aren't too expensive, and would help significantly.

Have you spoken to the folks at that Chabad that's a few hours away? They may have dealt with this kind of thing before, and have suggestions. You really never know what resources might be available.

For example, I have close friends who are frum that have a second home on Maui, and are the type to offer to help a traveling family in your situation. Anyone traveling there would think there's nothing, but actually, you never know.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 5:37 am
Anything instant- soups, oatmeal.
A sandwich maker.
A small crockpot.
You can buy ingredients for wraps, bagels, sandwiches.
Bring a cooler with deli, chicken, meat (if you're planning on using crockpot).

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 5:42 am
I’d come along as a chef. Sounds like an amazing location. Your kids are lucky.
As long as they are hydrated, you are safe. But hungry cranky kids can be a bummer. Tell them before the trip that food will be different.
On your end, although certain foods are off limit at home, don’t sweat it in these few days, it will not affect their health.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 5:48 am
If you bring a lightweight teflon frying pan, and buy some olive oil, then you can do a lot of things. I do not understand the obsession with panini makers. They are heavy and require electricity. If you can't make a sandwich in a frying pan, then you need someone to show you how. (Youngin's these days, SMH!)

Since you'll be in a tropical area, you'll have access to tons of amazing fresh fruit. While you're there, go to the fish markets, and get whatever is fresh that day. Bring your own knife and ask them to clean and fillet it for you.

Then all you have to do is fry the fish in your pan, and serve with instant rice and some steamed veggies. Fruit for dessert. I did this in Hawaii for two weeks, and it was really easy.

Shoshie

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:42 am
Check to verify the electrical appliance you're taking has the right voltage for the country you'll be visiting. Even if the country uses 110v, like the U.S. does, you may need to purchase a plug adapter.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 5:56 pm
Ask the hotel if it is easy to find fruits and vegetables nearby. My friend went to a tropical country for vacation and figured they would buy fresh fish, eggs, potatoes and veggies. They had a very hard time finding food. It was a very poor country and fresh food was nearly impossible to find.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 6:05 pm
imasinger wrote:
Ok. You're going by plane. Your kids are ages 3-8.

You aren't comfortable asking the hotel restaurant about heating triple wrapped meals for you.

Are you traveling internationally? Do you have to worry about bringing your food, and customs?

Does the rest of your family keep kosher? If not, in recognition of the hardship this imposes, would they help you pitch in for the expenses? Sounds like a portable grill and electric hot pot aren't too expensive, and would help significantly.

Have you spoken to the folks at that Chabad that's a few hours away? They may have dealt with this kind of thing before, and have suggestions. You really never know what resources might be available.

For example, I have close friends who are frum that have a second home on Maui, and are the type to offer to help a traveling family in your situation. Anyone traveling there would think there's nothing, but actually, you never know.

It is international and I do have a problem bringing certain things into the country. Everyone bh keeps kosher and we will collaborate things to bring it seems. I never went but some other relatives have gone there a few times, there is nothing Jewish or kosher besides the chabad family which is the other side of the country. When they went last times they lived off local fruits and veggies and some canned things.
I was just looking for ideas, we will end up being fine....my kids are just on the picky side something to figure out now what I should take.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 6:06 pm
Shoshie wrote:
Check to verify the electrical appliance you're taking has the right voltage for the country you'll be visiting. Even if the country uses 110v, like the U.S. does, you may need to purchase a plug adapter.

I think it is the same but it's on my list to find out.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 6:07 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Ask the hotel if it is easy to find fruits and vegetables nearby. My friend went to a tropical country for vacation and figured they would buy fresh fish, eggs, potatoes and veggies. They had a very hard time finding food. It was a very poor country and fresh food was nearly impossible to find.

As mentioned, some of my family has been there a few times. We will definitely be able to get lots of fresh stuff.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics