Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Boys English education
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 9:11 am
We may be moving to the area for a few different reasons. I’m wondering what the boys English education is like both in elementary and high school. Any information about schools and the English curriculum would be appreciated, thanks!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 6:44 pm
Bumping this up in hopes for some information.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 7:08 pm
If you're talking about middle and high school, from what I hear as a non-Lakewooder, it's nonexistent. That's one of the reasons we'd never move there.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 7:18 pm
Some elementary boys schools have better English than others like YTT, Tashbar, orchos Chaim, but these schools are not considered yeshivish don’t know what ur family is like. The schools that have ladies teaching English have better English. Shagas aryeh and toras Aharon have men English teachers and I heard it’s a joke.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:00 pm
There are plenty schools with decent English in elementary.
My boys are in orchos chaim and we pretty yeshivish (no screen time, kids don’t use internet at all, etc). I find a nice part of school is like us and we fit in very well. I personally like that it isn’t one type.

High school is a huge problem. R’ Aahron didn’t allow English. Years ago boys left Lakewood for English (like my DH). Now there are about 2 very good yeshivas with English. One is very intense and the other boys are cool. It has to fit for the boy, it didn’t for us. There are a few programs with 45 minutes of English where you get a ged. But it is Optional and boys have to be motivated. Also boys who have no English at all take ged course motzei Shabbos But is so hard because they have a long day.
Boys go to Passaic or Staten Island or philly or other out of town places if want really good English.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:11 pm
Thanks so much for the responses! I’m concerned about both elementary and high school. Hmm. So based on what you’re saying forest green, it seems like there’s basically no English and if someone wants to pursue a GED they have to be very self motivated. Oy. I’m not excited about that. I was kind of hoping that even though I hadn’t heard much about boys’ English curriculums, it would’ve just been that; that I hadn’t heard about it but it exists. Now it’s seeming like it doesn’t exist. Sad

amother
White

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:34 pm
Even in elementary school it’s a joke. Perhaps in the younger grades it’s half decent, but as they get older it’s really a joke.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:37 pm
Honestly, it boggles my mind that throngs and throngs of people move to Lakewood without a care about this. Not everyone who moves there is yeshivish. Even if you bus your kids to other places for high school, you're not doing that for middle school, which means that if they go to a place with decent secular education for high school, they're going to be way behind!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:42 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Honestly, it boggles my mind that throngs and throngs of people move to Lakewood without a care about this. Not everyone who moves there is yeshivish. Even if you bus your kids to other places for high school, you're not doing that for middle school, which means that if they go to a place with decent secular education for high school, they're going to be way behind!

Middle school and elementary school are same thing here.
Yes it’s true. 6-8 education isn’t that great in any school. My boys have had some fantastic male English teachers. And some really not so great. You can’t compare to some schools in New York. They’re writing, reading, English, math is in a much lower level. And there is no computers.

I’m assuming as Lakewood evolves more high school options will open. Maybe. Right now a new high school opens every year to accommodate the growing number of boys. But for the most part they lean very right because that is the type of Rosh Yeshiva that wants to have a school.

Boys don’t bus right now (accept maybe to deal or adelphia). Most boys dorm wherever they are. Like bows in phillie or Passaic dorm.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:46 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Middle school and elementary school are same thing here.
Yes it’s true. 6-8 education isn’t that great in any school. My boys have had some fantastic male English teachers. And some really not so great. You can’t compare to some schools in New York. They’re writing, reading, English, math is in a much lower level. And there is no computers.

I’m assuming as Lakewood evolves more high school options will open. Maybe. Right now a new high school opens every year to accommodate the growing number of boys. But for the most part they lean very right because that is the type of Rosh Yeshiva that wants to have a school.

Boys don’t bus right now (accept maybe to deal or adelphia). Most boys dorm wherever they are. Like bows in phillie or Passaic dorm.

The point stands; you're not going to send an elementary or middle schooler to a dorm!

Lakewood has evolved plenty already; it's bursting at the seams, and yet I haven't heard about changes in the school system. Someone has a chokehold on the place.

sky

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:48 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
The point stands; you're not going to send an elementary or middle schooler to a dorm!

Lakewood has evolved plenty already; it's bursting at the seams, and yet I haven't heard about changes in the school system. Someone has a chokehold on the place.

Anyone is welcome to open a school. It would be embraced. This is who is opening yeshivas. So many men want to be a Rosh Yeshiva they open a high school.

You are welcome to hire a Rosh Yeshiva, staff, and find a building. I believe you would be full. Why wait for someone else to do it? It bothers me when ppl are so quick to criticize but would never take action.

Personally I agree English is a huge issue in boys high schools. I just hope my sons will get their geds.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:50 pm
sky wrote:
Anyone is welcome to open a school. It would be embraced. This is who is opening yeshivas. So many men want to be a Rosh Yeshiva they open a high school.
You are welcome to hire a Rosh Yeshiva, staff, and find a building. I believe you would be full. Why wait for someone else to do it?

Well, as I said before, that's one (of many, many, many) reasons that DH and I won't consider Lakewood, despite the many people who have urged us to do so.

sky

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:53 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Well, as I said before, that's one (of many, many, many) reasons that DH and I won't consider Lakewood, despite the many people who have urged us to do so.

I totally get and respect that.
I wonder if many ppl moving to Lakewood haven't thought about it or just assume the future will be different.
I think a lot of ppl also believe Toms River isn’t Lakewood. Not realizing Lakewood provided the only schools for now.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 9:01 pm
sky wrote:
I totally get and respect that.
I wonder if many ppl moving to Lakewood haven't thought about it or just assume the future will be different.
I think a lot of ppl also believe Toms River isn’t Lakewood. Not realizing Lakewood provided the only schools for now.

I asked one of my friends who recently bought a house in TR about the advisability of moving to a place where the prospect of getting your child into school is so iffy. She said that Hashem is in charge and you need to have emunah. I was tempted to respond, "Tell that to the multitudes of people who don't have schools to send their kids to." (Easy for her to say, she has pull. Protektzia makes "emunah" a very convenient word.)

Anyway, if someone is moving and assuming the future is going to be different, their outlook isn't that different than my friend's. "Just go and figure it out." That doesn't work for me.

sky

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 10:42 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I asked one of my friends who recently bought a house in TR about the advisability of moving to a place where the prospect of getting your child into school is so iffy. She said that Hashem is in charge and you need to have emunah. I was tempted to respond, "Tell that to the multitudes of people who don't have schools to send their kids to." (Easy for her to say, she has pull. Protektzia makes "emunah" a very convenient word.)

Anyway, if someone is moving and assuming the future is going to be different, their outlook isn't that different than my friend's. "Just go and figure it out." That doesn't work for me.

Everyone gets their kids into school eventually so that part wouldn’t worry me so much.
It’s more if the level of education matches what you expect. That I think will disappoint ppl more in the long run.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 11:13 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Some elementary boys schools have better English than others like YTT, Tashbar, orchos Chaim, but these schools are not considered yeshivish don’t know what ur family is like. The schools that have ladies teaching English have better English. Shagas aryeh and toras Aharon have men English teachers and I heard it’s a joke.

Idk about shagas aryeh but since toras aron got new English principal a few years ago, their English department has gone up. It's considered pretty good English now

malki2

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 12:24 am
I mentioned this on the other thread. The Cheder has the best boys English program in Lakewood, surprisingly. They take it pretty seriously and have quality teachers and a good curriculum. Very Yeshivish (but normal) parent body though.

amother
White

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 1:30 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Idk about shagas aryeh but since toras aron got new English principal a few years ago, their English department has gone up. It's considered pretty good English now

Oy. Pretty good in Lakewood is not pretty good.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 1:37 pm
malki2 wrote:
I mentioned this on the other thread. The Cheder has the best boys English program in Lakewood, surprisingly. They take it pretty seriously and have quality teachers and a good curriculum. Very Yeshivish (but normal) parent body though.

Math is normally on par.
But science? History? Computers?
Writing? Sure they learn the parts of a sentence. And can write an interview. And persuasive letter. They learn spelling and vocabulary.
But how many boys can actually sit down and write a short essay or book report in 8th grade with no hand holding.
How many have any clue how to write references for a report - or even know what that is.
How many can read or write in script?

My sons school takes English super serious. You must behave. There is homework and tests. They do try their best. Most teachers are excellent - we had some issues - but in all fairness even the best schools run into teacher issues (as long as it’s resolved the next year). Just the curriculum is lacking.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:43 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Math is normally on par.
But science? History? Computers?
Writing? Sure they learn the parts of a sentence. And can write an interview. And persuasive letter. They learn spelling and vocabulary.
But how many boys can actually sit down and write a short essay or book report in 8th grade with no hand holding.
How many have any clue how to write references for a report - or even know what that is.
How many can read or write in script?

My sons school takes English super serious. You must behave. There is homework and tests. They do try their best. Most teachers are excellent - we had some issues - but in all fairness even the best schools run into teacher issues (as long as it’s resolved the next year). Just the curriculum is lacking.

Just saying...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries