Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
S/o how to treat cleaning lady so she will come back

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 2:25 pm
Aside from the obvious (pay on time), any advice? When and what should I offer her to eat? What cleaning supplies should I give her? What can I and can't I expect from her? Should I tell her to take a break? Any other advice/stories?
Thanks!

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 2:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Aside from the obvious (pay on time), any advice? When and what should I offer her to eat? What cleaning supplies should I give her? What can I and can't I expect from her? Should I tell her to take a break? Any other advice/stories?
Thanks!

If she is at your house for a long time, offer her a sandwich or something. Make sure she knows where the cups (or water bottles) are, and that she can always take a drink. Treat her like a Mentch. Ask her what cleaning supplies she likes, and provide those.

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 2:46 pm
Treat her like a person. Nothing extra nothing less.
Personally I showed her where the cups and water is, and often leave out cookies or cake but she isn't at my house for that long.
If it was logner I would offer her a lunch break.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 2:46 pm
Provide all cleaning supplies you use when you clean. Give directions of what you want used where. Make sure she has an ample amount of disposable gloves , rags and paper towels. Provide a good broom and good mop as well.
Give a sandwich , a yogurt and a fruit for lunch or if you are making lunch for yourself give her whatever you make for yourself.
She should have access to make herself a coffee as needed and access to cups and drinks.
Show her what and how you want something cleaned. If she doesn’t do a good enough job, show her again in a respectful way but don’t criticize constantly. Compliment her when she does a good job on something.
Treat her with the same respect you’d have for anyone else in your home.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 3:22 pm
Greet her when she arrives. Ask her how she is. Make her a cup of coffee. Make her a hot lunch if that's her culture. I usually give chicken and rice. Wish her a nice weekend when she leaves.

zaftigmom

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 6:51 pm
I like to give her something nice (cookies,soup) that I'm making anyway every few weeks. If I'm not home I'll text her when I get home that the house looks beautiful.

I'm truly grateful to her and it shows. Even my not yet 2 year old knows to thank her before she leaves.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 7:16 pm
I serve her lunch (a main, drink, pastries, yogurt, fresh fruit, etc.), pack her up dinner to go, and every few weeks randomly give her a little gift, such as an inexpensive piece of jewelry, diffuser, bath bombs, etc.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 7:27 pm
Very nice to hear the way ppl treat their cleaning ladies and at the same time are showing a great kiddish hashem as well!!!

How would u treat her if u not with her in the house all day. And not there either when she leaves ? Who is to be on top of her in this case?

naomi2

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:21 pm
Train her in the first few days. Show her around each room and tell her what to clean and any specifics like moving beds, how often to change linens, where you keep supplies, how to operate Appliances etc. Dont expect her to know everything and do a perfect job In the beginning. She may also work slowly the first few times while she is learning your house. When you ask her to do something, ask nicely and say please. As if you are talking to a friend doing a task for you. It's really all about respect.

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:17 am
Ask how she's doing every single time. Offer a hot drink when it's miserable outside, or a ride if you can if it's late and dark and cold. Occasionally I give a little extra towards transport especially if I know she travelled just for me. Make your kids pick up what they're doing while she's there, and make them thank her when she leaves. Holiday cards get signed by each kid personally, with a bonus. If I'm out when she leaves, or notice she's taken initiative to do something extra, I say thank you specifically for that. Except for when I'm pregnant or PP, I never sit on the couch while she's working, I pitch in or am busy doing something else. If there's a big sorting job, I tell her we'll do it together. She doesn't like cleaning showers, so I don't push it, I'll usually do it myself. She knows I don't ask her to do anything too gross that I wouldn't do myself. If we're all eating, or she's helping with a simcha/shabbos dinner, I make her a plate and my husband thanks her in his announcements. Her birthday is just a few days after we have several birthdays near each other, so last year I decorated a cupcake for her for her birthday too. If she has to cancel, and she rarely does, I don't guilt trip her or give her a hard time (may ask if she has extra hours another time that week). I try not to cancel on her often.
She's been with me now for almost 5 years, currently on extended winter break, but due back next week, and she knows very well how much we appreciate (and rely on) her.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:11 am
I never feed nor hear of it outside imamother
yet our ladies don't seem as crazy as those online
no gift ever
I don't ask what she likes to do it
I pay what she works
I will relax as I see fit

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:24 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Very nice to hear the way ppl treat their cleaning ladies and at the same time are showing a great kiddish hashem as well!!!

How would u treat her if u not with her in the house all day. And not there either when she leaves ? Who is to be on top of her in this case?

Text her to let her know where you left her lunch. Where you left the money. When you come home text her a thank you for the clean home!

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:50 am
yOungM0mmy wrote:
Ask how she's doing every single time. Offer a hot drink when it's miserable outside, or a ride if you can if it's late and dark and cold. Occasionally I give a little extra towards transport especially if I know she travelled just for me. Make your kids pick up what they're doing while she's there, and make them thank her when she leaves. Holiday cards get signed by each kid personally, with a bonus. If I'm out when she leaves, or notice she's taken initiative to do something extra, I say thank you specifically for that. Except for when I'm pregnant or PP, I never sit on the couch while she's working, I pitch in or am busy doing something else. If there's a big sorting job, I tell her we'll do it together. She doesn't like cleaning showers, so I don't push it, I'll usually do it myself. She knows I don't ask her to do anything too gross that I wouldn't do myself. If we're all eating, or she's helping with a simcha/shabbos dinner, I make her a plate and my husband thanks her in his announcements. Her birthday is just a few days after we have several birthdays near each other, so last year I decorated a cupcake for her for her birthday too. If she has to cancel, and she rarely does, I don't guilt trip her or give her a hard time (may ask if she has extra hours another time that week). I try not to cancel on her often.
She's been with me now for almost 5 years, currently on extended winter break, but due back next week, and she knows very well how much we appreciate (and rely on) her.

I could never work with her all the time while she works. She's here 30 hours a week. I usually get my most of my work done before she gets here. I relax when she is here.

I also keep my cleaning ladies for years.

NewYorkgal31

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 12:51 pm
My mother in law has had 2 cleaning lady’s in the past 30 or so years. The first one left to get a medical degree... she was there for about 15 years... the second one is there for 15 years... all I can say is she treats them like a human being, shows interest in their lives and helps them when they need. I never saw someone treat their cleaning help the way she does. She is really amazing
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics