Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Carsick Toddler

2mother

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 3:11 pm
My 3 year old gets extremely carsick the minute we get into a car. (Can it be mind over matter at that age? ) We have her in a forward facing car seat, middle row of the minivan. We make sure to keep the car at a cool temperature/open windows when possible. She refuses to take dramamine. We bought sea bands and they help somewhat but I need a foolproof solution. I'm tired of cleaning vomit after every ten minute car ride Sad

teachkids

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 3:26 pm
Lollipops help many kids. Also looking out the front window. Play I spy to encourage it.

cbsp

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 3:26 pm
Oy, I was that kid.

It didn't get any better until I learned how to drive - now I can tolerate being a passenger but can't read or even turn around when the car is in motion.

I would think a window seat might work better than the middle.

Maybe see if this is something OT can help with?

There's also this new glasses invention - the person wears it for 10 minutes or so and then is nausea-free free ready of the trip.

https://www.amazon.com/Wuli-Pe.....PLFJ/

Hatzlacha!

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 3:59 pm
We give benedril to the kids before traveling. Give about 1/2 hour before. It really helps and is a very safe drug

2mother

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 4:10 pm
cbsp wrote:
Oy, I was that kid.

It didn't get any better until I learned how to drive - now I can tolerate being a passenger but can't read or even turn around when the car is in motion.

I would think a window seat might work better than the middle.

Maybe see if this is something OT can help with?

There's also this new glasses invention - the person wears it for 10 minutes or so and then is nausea-free free ready of the trip.

https://www.amazon.com/Wuli-Pe.....PLFJ/

Hatzlacha!

We do put her at the window seat. Do you know anyone who tried the glasses? Do they actually work?

cbsp

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 5:27 pm
2mother wrote:
We do put her at the window seat. Do you know anyone who tried the glasses? Do they actually work?

Oh, I see I misread your OP. Middle row is definitely better than the back row. Fresh air blowing is great as well.

I don't personally know anyone who tried it but the reviews look good. In fact, when I first heard about the glasses they were priced over $100. Thank you for the opportunity to look at them again, I see they've gone down to a more affordable price and I might try them for DS6 who seems to have inherited my genes. (once the 10-15 minutes are up bother passenger can use them, so maybe I'll benefit as well).

When my daughter went for an OT eval they mentioned OT can help with motion sickness but I don't know anyone who's gone that route (it's not her issue, she can read and color and play games while being a passenger).

Lastly, is it only your vehicle? Our old minivan had an exhaust issue which impacted everyone's tolerance for car rides. Our new vehicle BH has a working exhaust system and the other kids are back to being great passengers.

2mother

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 5:30 pm
cbsp wrote:
Oh, I see I misread your OP. Middle row is definitely better than the back row. Fresh air blowing is great as well.

I don't personally know anyone who tried it but the reviews look good. In fact, when I first heard about the glasses they were priced over $100. Thank you for the opportunity to look at them again, I see they've gone down to a more affordable price and I might try them for DS6 who seems to have inherited my genes. (once the 10-15 minutes are up bother passenger can use them, so maybe I'll benefit as well).

When my daughter went for an OT eval they mentioned OT can help with motion sickness but I don't know anyone who's gone that route (it's not her issue, she can read and color and play games while being a passenger).

Lastly, is it only your vehicle? Our old minivan had an exhaust issue which impacted everyone's tolerance for car rides. Our new vehicle BH has a working exhaust system and the other kids are back to being great passengers.

Unfortunately it's in all cars she's been in, most of them new.
I doubt she'll get approved for OT just for motion sickness.
Maybe I will try those glasses. Thank you.

littleprincess

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 5:32 pm
That's me !!! But I dont get as sick when I sit in the front . Check the laws in your country at what age a child can sit in the front .

studying_torah

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 9:08 pm
We have this problem w a few of my kids so I'm curious about the glasses too

2mother

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 9:09 pm
studying_torah wrote:
We have this problem w a few of my kids so I'm curious about the glasses too

If I end up trying them, I'll try to remember to report back.
Thanks guys for the empathy and advice!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics