Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Were any of you or your kids ever kidnapped?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 5:58 pm
I always have this fear that my kids will be kidnapped and I wonder if it’s something very rare that kids can get kidnapped or if it’s something I should be nervous about.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 6:00 pm
I'm also always nervous!

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 6:01 pm
Most of the time it’s a family member like the ex husband etc that kidnaps the child. Just daven to hashem to keep your kids safe forever and ever and ever and ever🙏🙏🙏

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 6:01 pm
Do you live in Venezuela?

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 6:03 pm
When I was 4 years old a teenage boy with his cronies yelled "come here" to me. I don't want to give much info as I've told the story to many, but it was really scary. I ran home so fast and when I came home I was mute from fear.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 6:16 pm
Most kidnappings are not strangers, but they unfortunately do sometimes occur. I think one needs to always be diligent to supervise their children, and maintain safety (teach children stranger danger/not to help people find a lost puppy/take candy...) but you do not need to walk around in fear.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 6:17 pm
I had a bad date and my then bf said im going to kidnap you
I shoulod have jumped out at the gas station I was lucky I was not hurt
he also would tkae me somewhere and say ill leave you here

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 6:19 pm
In SCRANTON PA where I grew up two boys were kidnapped and it did not end well it happened when I was in grade school im 57 now
my parents stil let me walk home to school alone and go to the park etc with friends alone

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 6:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I always have this fear that my kids will be kidnapped and I wonder if it’s something very rare that kids can get kidnapped or if it’s something I should be nervous about.

What kind of question is this? Who gets kidnapped?????

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 6:22 pm
in westchester ny 20 years ago my girls and their friends were stopped by a car was told to get in they ran I should have called the police

I have an app called neighbors that reports crime I have a ring door bell and you can join ring and see crimes in youre area

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 6:24 pm
Most kidnappings are done by a family member. My dh was kidnapped by his father when he was a kid. His mother had more custody and his father was jealous.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 6:27 pm
B"H never, but one time when I was postpartum I was terrified to leave my house with my baby out of obsessive fear of somebody stealing her.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 6:35 pm
Happened when I was about 12 years old. There was a car that was circling the blocks to our house one shabbos afternoon. (We were playing a game where each person picks a color car and then whenever that color car passed, the person got a point. That’s when we realized we kept seeing the same car with the same guy driving it over and over.) my parents called the police and they took a report. A few weeks later I was walking down the block when a car pulled up alongside. That same car (I still remember, a green grand Cherokee) with that same guy (clean shaven, navy blue baseball cap) inside. He asked me for directions. I was terrified and gave him the wrong ones. He said “I can’t hear you, can you come closer?” I accidentally told him the opposite way of the street he wanted. He said to me “are you SURE it’s that way?” Like he obviously knew. I fled. Cops came and gave a long speech about stranger danger but I dont know if they ever caught him or if he was really a criminal.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 6:48 pm
When I was a girl someone left their car running with a few kids inside. Both parent were right outside one had an injury so it was taking a long time to get into the car and the other parent was helping them.

A neighbors son (not Jewish) high on drugs - jumped in the running car and drove off with the kids. My mother said the scream of the children’s mother was terrifying as she saw it happen.

He got into a single car accident soon after. The oldest boy got out and flagged down help. The kids had minor injuries.

I hate seeing ppl leaving cars running even for 2 seconds. Even if they are right next to the car.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 7:14 pm
And yet it's OK to leave your stroller with a sleeping baby outside of the store? Banging head

Talk about lousy risk assessment.

A school age child is as likely to be abducted by a stranger, as they are to be struck by lightning. Nobody wants to get abducted OR struck by lightning, but you can't live your entire life indoors, paralyzed by fear either.

Teach your kids that they can talk to strangers (Police, neighbors, the emergency room staff, shop keepers), but they cannot GO with anyone without your being with them, and that they cannot go near anyone who is calling them to come closer.

Now if we are talking babies or toddlers, you have to be in charge and take reasonable precautions. Your child does not have to be handcuffed to you 24/7 in order to be safe. Try to listen more to your seichel, and less to your paranoia.

If you are post partum, and are having really excessive fears, you MUST get to a doctor ASAP. PPD can turn into post partum psychosis very quickly if you are prone to worrying all the time.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 7:19 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
In SCRANTON PA where I grew up two boys were kidnapped and it did not end well it happened when I was in grade school im 57 now
my parents stil let me walk home to school alone and go to the park etc with friends alone

Just wondering, was the kidnapper a family member?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 7:25 pm
Someone attempted to kidnap me when I was 10 years old. It was a year after the ‘91 Crown Heights riots on the same street. I ran into my building. The door opened for me just in time BH. My parents called police. By the time they came, the guy and his van had disappeared.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 7:50 pm
When I was in seminary in Brooklyn, a girl that was two years younger than me (11th grade) was walking to school around 11:00 am after she had a dental appointment and then went to school. On her way to school, a non Jewish guy came out of his car, grabbed her and pushed her in and drove off. She is very short. He drove from BP to the Kensington area , got out of the car to make a call from a pay phone outside a store. He took the girl with her, he had his hand gripped on her shoulder but she felt him loosen the grip (so people wouldn’t be suspicious) and she took off and ran and ran until she saw a house with a mezuzah. The people took her in and they called the police etc. After that BY seminary and highschool had us walk in groups.

I had on more than one occasion a man lure me towards his car and revealed his private parts to me. It happened at least twice . He was a frum looking man and he called me over like to ask for directions and I innocently went to give it to him until I realized that he had his pants open and I ran inside. Both times it happened in front of my house and I had no idea who it was. I wasn’t the only person. It happened to multiple people that year or two in Boro Park.

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:07 pm
No, but a schoolmate of mine was on a TWA flight that was hijacked to Jordan and blown up. by the PFLP in 1970. The hostages were released after about six days. Hijacking planes to take the passengers hostage as bargaining points against the West was a popular trick employed by Arab malcontents and others.

Between 1968 and 1972 over 160 US planes were hijacked. B”H hijacking is less popular now but it still goes on.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:09 pm
Yes, happened to me when I was 4 years old. Fortunately, I am here to tell the tale.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics