Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Possible move to lkwd. Please help.
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 11:39 pm
I live in the five towns and am very happy but dh was offered a job in lkwd that may just be too good to pass up. He is in chinuch but we are definitely not your typical lkwd chinuch family. I am from oot and we are more open minded yeshivish.

As far as housing our budget is around 650k but if there is a tenant we can swing more. I like the big frum lkwd houses but I also like having my space and not living on top of my neighbor. I have no idea what type White Oak or the developement near sunset and James but I would love an area that is physically like that.

As far as schools, right now my boys are in darchai and my girls in bby. I like a healthy mix of ppl. I am not into schools making rules just to be the frummest. I like a healthy mix of ppl learning working klai kodesh etc. it is very important to me that my boys get an English education. We are by no means fancy brand name ppl.

What schools and housing areas should I look into.

malki2

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 12:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I live in the five towns and am very happy but dh was offered a job in lkwd that may just be too good to pass up. He is in chinuch but we are definitely not your typical lkwd chinuch family. I am from oot and we are more open minded yeshivish.

As far as housing our budget is around 650k but if there is a tenant we can swing more. I like the big frum lkwd houses but I also like having my space and not living on top of my neighbor. I have no idea what type White Oak or the developement near sunset and James but I would love an area that is physically like that.

As far as schools, right now my boys are in darchai and my girls in bby. I like a healthy mix of ppl. I am not into schools making rules just to be the frummest. I like a healthy mix of ppl learning working klai kodesh etc. it is very important to me that my boys get an English education. We are by no means fancy brand name ppl.

What schools and housing areas should I look into.

I would suggest Tashbar or Orchos Chaim for boys. The Cheder probably has the best English, but the parent body is very yeshivish. For girls, Bais Tova or Bnos Dvora or Bnos Orchos Chaim are good.

Regarding housing, it really depends on if you want a tenant or not. And do you want a single family home, or would you go with a duplex?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 1:06 am
malki2 wrote:
I would suggest Tashbar or Orchos Chaim for boys. The Cheder probably has the best English, but the parent body is very yeshivish. For girls, Bais Tova or Bnos Dvora or Bnos Orchos Chaim are good.

Regarding housing, it really depends on if you want a tenant or not. And do you want a single family home, or would you go with a duplex?

I would like a tenant. I would love an area simile to white oak or sunset and James where the houses are large and built for a frum family yet spread apart and you have a nice year. I do not know if any area like that is in my price range or has my crowd. Please advise.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 1:29 am
Oak and vine in lakewood is for the most part chassidish but two avenue blocks off of oak and vine (right behind presidential estates) called london properties has a very nice mix of heimish, litvish, chassidish, yeshivish etc.
And the housing there fit your requirements

malki2

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 1:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I would like a tenant. I would love an area simile to white oak or sunset and James where the houses are large and built for a frum family yet spread apart and you have a nice year. I do not know if any area like that is in my price range or has my crowd. Please advise.

The areas that you like are probably in the 700-750 range. Which you should be able to handle with a tenant. The problem is that I don’t know how many are actually available. They are not new developments and it’s not like people move out every day. As far as crowds, I would suggest that you get in touch with an agent. They know the neighborhoods and crowds down to a T.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:46 am
Please verify if any of the high schools there have English.

galbis

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:58 am
I would suggest you try to call Perri Goodman. She is a realtor and knows all the areas of Lakewood and the surrounding towns very well. Her number is 718 974 4800. I used her to purchase my home and know others who have as well and all found her to be very knowledgeable.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 9:14 am
No matter what anyone tells you, NONE of the boys’ elementary schools here have a good English curriculum. High schools are worse. Type wise, Tashbar sounds like a better match for you than Orchos Chaim. The girls’ schools mentioned above are pretty yeshivish. I don’t think you mentioned your girls’ ages, but some of the newer schools may be a better option for you.

malki2

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 9:33 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Please verify if any of the high schools there have English.

I did earlier. Are you talking about elementary or high school? All the elementary schools have English. Some programs better than others.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:33 pm
Before you start all your inquiries, the question is CAN you get into a school. Good luck even getting into the newer ones.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:46 pm
THERE is a thread going on now about boys high schools. I wrote a long post there. Please read it there. It’s very hard.

Sebastian

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 9:14 pm
The sunset and james area is btw 600 and 700. Call an experienced realtor.

malki2

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 9:25 pm
Sebastian wrote:
The sunset and james area is btw 600 and 700. Call an experienced realtor.

I know of a house that went over a year ago over there for over 750.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 9:30 pm
OP, can the person offering the chinuch job get your children into schools?
Since they are Menahel they probably have "protekzia" with other schools.

malki2

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 9:33 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
No matter what anyone tells you, NONE of the boys’ elementary schools here have a good English curriculum. High schools are worse. Type wise, Tashbar sounds like a better match for you than Orchos Chaim. The girls’ schools mentioned above are pretty yeshivish. I don’t think you mentioned your girls’ ages, but some of the newer schools may be a better option for you.

I will tell you that I grew up out of town and even went to a MO school until 7th grade, and know very well what an English education is. Surprisingly the Lakewood Cheder where my sons attended has an English program that holds its own against most out of town schools. Unfortunately it is the exception to the rule. The other schools really aren’t as good, most are not even close. So with regards to the other schools, I am in agreement with you. There are a couple of high schools that offer a decent English program, but even those only offer full English for 9th and 10th. In 11th grade they already start truncating the English program to a couple of classes a day.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 10:40 pm
malki2 wrote:
I will tell you that I grew up out of town and even went to a MO school until 7th grade, and know very well what an English education is. Surprisingly the Lakewood Cheder where my sons attended has an English program that holds its own against most out of town schools. Unfortunately it is the exception to the rule. The other schools really aren’t as good, most are not even close. So with regards to the other schools, I am in agreement with you. There are a couple of high schools that offer a decent English program, but even those only offer full English for 9th and 10th. In 11th grade they already start truncating the English program to a couple of classes a day.

There are only 2 good English high schools And a specific type for a specific boy. Like neither were a good fit for my son. Plus you have to get in. Some are 45 minutes per day ged optional program. And some have none.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 12:07 am
I am talking about elementary schools here. My oldest son is seven and my oldest girl is five. I may not get into my first choice school but being that we’d move for a chinuch job I’m not so worried. What is the crowd in bnos devora and how do orchos Chaim and tashbar compare. I really want a healthy mix of ppl in school. Kollel rebbe doctor accountant etc. does that even exists in lkwd?

malki2

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 12:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am talking about elementary schools here. My oldest son is seven and my oldest girl is five. I may not get into my first choice school but being that we’d move for a chinuch job I’m not so worried. What is the crowd in bnos devora and how do orchos Chaim and tashbar compare. I really want a healthy mix of ppl in school. Kollel rebbe doctor accountant etc. does that even exists in lkwd?

The crowds in all the schools I mentioned are a combination of Klei kodesh and working people. Very few kollel families in those schools.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 12:35 am
I'm not sure from your post that you'd be happy there. Have you considered any of the surrounding communities with a small commute time?

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 12:53 am
For girls schools, look into Bnos Esther Malka and Nachlas- both of these seem to have the mix you are looking for. However, if you are applying for this coming September you will need pull since most of the school slots are filled already.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries