Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ankles bend inwards- orthotics

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 9:36 pm
My 4 year old has her ankles bending inwards it sort of looks like all the weight is on one side of the heel. Most of her shoes hurt her and her feet get tired out easily. She has had orthotics which she wore for about 6 months already she fights to put it on each day. Anyone’s child had this condition and have seen improvement with orthotics? How long does it take to correct this issue? Or this won’t help much? Or have u seen better help with over the counter shoe inserts.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 4:31 am
amother wrote:
My 4 year old has her ankles bending inwards it sort of looks like all the weight is on one side of the heel. Most of her shoes hurt her and her feet get tired out easily. She has had orthotics which she wore for about 6 months already she fights to put it on each day. Anyone’s child had this condition and have seen improvement with orthotics? How long does it take to correct this issue? Or this won’t help much? Or have u seen better help with over the counter shoe inserts.

My 4yr old dd daughter has custom orthotics for the same type of issue (weak arch, turned in ankles). She would always run more slowly than her friends, stumbled often, and frequently complained about deep knee pain at night. We got her orthotics a year ago and Bh she is doing a million times better. I don’t think her ankles are fixed in any way but her knees rarely hurt her and she can often keep up either her friends. Because my dd has associated pain, she wants to wear the orthotics because she saw a real difference.

Is it possible your dd grew out of them already? Or the shape is not quite right for her foot? Maybe take her for a follow up visit.
I do know that different doctors create slightly different shaped orthotics. I was very happy with the one we got, the design was originally created by the podiatrist with a PT. If you’re in the NY area, definitely give Dr. Louis Jablin a call and ask for the insert Bracha recommends.

Dr. Louis Jablin
718-439-8888
6105 5th avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11220

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jul 31 2018, 7:48 am
Thanks! I am getting her refitted again I think there may just be an embarrassment factor that none of her friends have it. I’m also wondering if anyone knows if this is an always thing or it corrects it after a certain number of years.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 7:31 am
4 is still borderline for whether it is a permanent issue or not. Many say if there is no pain, don't treat. Others say to treat regardless. A million opinions. It also depends if there is a clear underlying issue or not.

FOr my dd (age 5), orthopedist told us no to orthotics yet, it could still self correct (again, a different orthopedist might tell us the opposite). So instead, we use shoes designed for those with over pronation (ankles falling inward) and we have noticed a clear difference in how she walks with them and she has no pain and fatigue in her legs after walking/playing a long time. Her ankles fall in just the same when she isn't wearing them though, but it doesn't seem to bother her. Ask your dd's orthopedist or PT (and if you haven't seen an orthopedist, now is the time) if this could be an option for you, as it gets rid of the embarrassment factor, though is likely less effective than orthotics. Both New Balance and Asics make excellent supportive children's sneakers for overpronation.

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 10:09 pm
We have the orthotics my daughter needs to be fitted for a new pair of shoes to wear with her orthotics any Brooklyn stores know how to help with this and have a large selection?

Its Friday

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 12:20 am
Call and ask Teitelbaum. They have an office in Boro Park and Williamsburg

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 3:30 am
Has anyone had experience with Teitelbaum above poster posted, as far as measuring and making orthotics? Need to make sure he is really good before I go be cause my insurance does not cover orthotics..I'll be paying out of pocket....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics