Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Were any of you or your kids ever kidnapped?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:31 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Yes, happened to me when I was 4 years old. Fortunately, I am here to tell the tale.

By someone you knew or a stranger?

newmommy22

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:47 pm
This thread is really scaring me. I always thought stranger kidnappings are extremely rare and yet there are so many women posting about it.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 9:12 pm
I was kidnapped by ACS (Administration for Children's Services) when I was about 10 because I confided in the school counselor that I wanted to kill myself. I thought that everything I told her was confidential. I learned that it wasn't. My parents had to fight in court to bring me back home. I learned not to speak to the school counselor again. (They lied in court and said that I tried to kill myself with a wire hangar. I spoke to someone over the phone and said it was a lie.)

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 9:45 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
I was kidnapped by ACS (Administration for Children's Services) when I was about 10 because I confided in the school counselor that I wanted to kill myself. I thought that everything I told her was confidential. I learned that it wasn't. My parents had to fight in court to bring me back home. I learned not to speak to the school counselor again. (They lied in court and said that I tried to kill myself with a wire hangar. I spoke to someone over the phone and said it was a lie.)
You poor little girl. I hope you weren’t scared away from therapists and counselors for life because of that . What a traumatic experience it must have been for you. Hugs 🤗

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 9:51 pm
How can we forget Leiby Kletzky??

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 11:03 pm
When I was in high school, a frum lady with a huge limp got out of her car near my house, where I was out alone, and asked me if I knew where (uncommon frum last name, lived on my block) lives. I told her idk the address and started walking her there, was like 1/2 a long black away, and she walked extremely slowly with her huge limp, the likes of which I've never seen before. She asked if it's far, and if she can drive me to the house because it's too far for her to walk. I ran inside to check up the address because obviously I'm not going to go in her car, and that was it. But I always wonder if she was legit or not

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 11:09 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:

I’m sorry for your trauma.

But no, no professional can sit idly by when a child says she wants to kill herself. Not that a non-professional should, either. They are obligated to take it seriously, and to take whatever steps are needed to protect the child.

Imagine if it were your child, and he confided his suicidal ideations to a teacher. Who did nothing. And your child,Chas v’shalom, killed himself.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 11:18 pm
newmommy22 wrote:
This thread is really scaring me. I always thought stranger kidnappings are extremely rare and yet there are so many women posting about it.

Stranger kidnappings are very rare. Fewer than 350 a year, on average. That’s why they make headlines.

Yes, we should all be careful. But if fear of stranger kidnapping is paralyzing you, please get help.

Strangely enough, though, I do know someone who was legit kidnapped, beaten and left for dead. She was a teen, and it was her so-called friends. There was even a TV movie about it.

Rappel

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 11:23 pm
Hm. Dunno if this counts, but we had a babysitter when I was little who took me and brought me to the social welfare office to prove that she needed benefits as a single mom. We were missing for hours. My parents tracked her down to the office (dunno how!) And took me from there.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 11:26 pm
Rappel wrote:
Hm. Dunno if this counts, but we had a babysitter when I was little who took me and brought me to the social welfare office to prove that she needed benefits as a single mom. We were missing for hours. My parents tracked her down to the office (dunno how!) And took me from there.

This is hilarious (okay, not as a parent). Where did you live that they take your word without the child's ID?

A 4-year-old on my parents' block was outside with her older siblings. She was kidnapped and dropped off on the other side of BP a couple hours later. Not much was shared about it but from the way she was found people drew conclusions anyway. I'm sure some of you remember the story.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 11:49 pm
If by kidnapped you mean taken for a few hours and abused, I know of four such stories in our community. I mean kids playing outside unsupervised and someone taking them for a few hours.

The reason this happens when stranger kidnappings are rare is because many of our kids aren’t taught that Jews are also strangers, we trust our “safe” neighborhoods more than we should, and once the children are returned it’s covered up due to the stigma.

Yes, it frightens me.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 12:43 am
When I was little probably about six years old. I was walking home from the bus stop one day, it was a long hilly road. And a car was following me. I kept crossing the street to see if it would follow and it did. I knocked on the first neighbors door I saw and she walked me home. My mother went to the car that had been following me and found out it was a student driver..... practicing KTurns on our block....I really thought it was a kidnapper.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 12:48 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
When I was little probably about six years old. I was walking home from the bus stop one day, it was a long hilly road. And a car was following me. I kept crossing the street to see if it would follow and it did. I knocked on the first neighbors door I saw and she walked me home. My mother went to the car that had been following me and found out it was a student driver..... practicing KTurns on our block....I really thought it was a kidnapper.

Good for you Oak! Better safe than sorry.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 1:55 am
groisamomma wrote:
This is hilarious (okay, not as a parent). Where did you live that they take your word without the child's ID?

Brooklyn. I was too young to remember, but she was illegal, and maybe she thought she could argue that neither of us had documentation? On the other hand, I was a blond and blue eyed kid, so I'm not sure how well her story would have gone down XD it sounds utterly preposterous.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 2:40 am
I know someone who was kidnapped as a child and held for ransom. My friend was from an extremely wealthy family and were living in a country as expats. Her brother was taken, ransomed and released. They moved immediately afterwards and I met them a couple of years later. (Her brother was under 10 at the time).

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 5:54 am
Someone once asked my dh for directions when he was around 10. My dh went along with him for quit a few streets. At some point he realized he wasn't safe, he started crying. The man got scared from the load cries and ran off.

When I was 12 I had an older man coming to me on a busy street in daylight asking me to be his friend. I was together with my younger sister. We ignored him. He told me he wanted to marry me. We kept on ignoring him. He kept on walking nexto us. At some point we passed a house, I assume his and he asked me to come inside. At that point we started running for our life. We recognized a house of a friend of my sister and went inside. He followed us. And rang in the door. He told the last he just wanted to sing us a song then he will leave us alone. It was really scary

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:22 am
Takken is a movie I blessedly didn't see so I don't think of it

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:33 am
My mother was kidnapped in a super market by a Hispanic woman Hispanics did not know as a little girl. She walked with her out the door and up the block. My grandmother ran outside and saw my mother across the street. She yelled her name and the woman let go of her hand and ran.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:14 am
The FBI had to protect my family when I was little. There were kidnap threats against us (children) and threats to take and rape my mom. I don't want to go into the reasons.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:58 am
Wow, I am so sorry for everyone who's had to deal with that!

It just goes to show how important it is to educate our kids, even at a very young age. When DD was 3, I taught her to bite anyone who tried to grab her, and to scream in their ear. She had a scream that would break glass a mile away, and would guarantee that she would get dropped immediately.

When she was around 7 a car pulled up to her and asked her directions. She stayed well back on the sidewalk, and told him that she didn't know, but would go get her mom to help. This was in broad daylight, two doors down from my house. By the time I could get to the front door, the car was speeding away, tires squealing.

I was SO proud of my kiddo! She got extra ice cream for dessert that night, and she told all of her friends how to get away from bad guys.

The key is to not live in fear. You have to live your life educated and empowered, and know how to keep a cool head in the face of danger. This doesn't mean that nothing bad will ever happen to you, but it greatly lowers the odds.

Sometimes sheltering our kids from the unpleasant realities of life can make them easier targets, and bad guys know that some communities are more sheltered than others.

Regarding Jewish people, there was one shul in our community, where the guy who was in charge of giving out the candy got caught having "private time" with all of the young boys in shul. He came from a "very good family" and was completely trusted by all of the parents. It was a huge deal when he finally got caught.

Please teach your kids that a beard and a kippah does not mean that the person is safe. Even women can be "bad guys", and can be used to lure kids for their boyfriends.

I know I write megillas about this subject a lot, but I am really passionate on this subject. Teaching kids safety is like breathing to me.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics