Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Did moving out of town improve your quality of life?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:18 pm
By in town, I refer to the tristate area, where life is fast paced and expensive.

Did moving out of town improve your quality of life/ financial situation?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
By in town, I refer to the tristate area, where life is fast paced and expensive.

Did moving out of town improve your quality of life/ financial situation?

Where we moved is considdered sort of oot in our community.
I love where I live. The poeple. The location. The peacefullness. and the veiw.

Financially, we are not ahead at all. We were managing and then we had another child and we barely pulled thru. Then dh got a raise. yay! but at the same time our taxes went up. Bummer. So its tough. We make do with kess. More handmedowns. No eating out.... But I wouldn't give up this place so fast. Its pure bliss.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:29 pm
Yes I moved from Williamsburg to Lakewood and my life has changed drastically for the better bh.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:32 pm
Aquamarine- may I ask how long you've lived "OOT", most people don't describe their community like that!

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:34 pm
I grew up in Brooklyn and moved oot when I got married. Financially it's not easy- cost of living is high where I live, and salaries are not as high as NY. But I still would never go back. It's been more than ten years and I'm still head over heels in love with the place I live.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:35 pm
Lakewood is not oot lol!

We live oot but life here is very expensive and you get very little bang for your buck- groceries clothing and hosiery are all such a hassle. The chinuch is wonderful but the resources are scarce.

The ppl I see that are happy are those who really connect to living oot as a value...

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:39 pm
Moved from Brooklyn to Toms River, haven't regretted a moment of it! I'm not sure after everything that life is cheaper but we are in a much better place financially.
We paid off all our debt from our Brooklyn house and even had some extra leftover.
Tuition, travel etc...is more expensive but we still came out ahead than had we stayed in Brooklyn.
And forget about finances. The quality of life here is priceless. The space, the grass, the quiet. We love it!
Baruch Hashem.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:49 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Moved from Brooklyn to Toms River, haven't regretted a moment of it! I'm not sure after everything that life is cheaper but we are in a much better place financially.
We paid off all our debt from our Brooklyn house and even had some extra leftover.
Tuition, travel etc...is more expensive but we still came out ahead than had we stayed in Brooklyn.
And forget about finances. The quality of life here is priceless. The space, the grass, the quiet. We love it!
Baruch Hashem.

TR is not OOT!

agreer

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 11:48 pm
Lakewood and TR are not OOT?!?! Of course they are. They are barely cities and housing is affordable. They have no large downtowns or business districts.

OP did specify tri-state area though, but still... People like to participate and can't help but be happy when leaving Brooklyn (big city) for the 'burbs of LKWD and TR, no matter how large and "convenient" they may be.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 12:20 am
agreer wrote:
Lakewood and TR are not OOT?!?! Of course they are. They are barely cities and housing is affordable. They have no large downtowns or business districts.

OP did specify tri-state area though, but still... People like to participate and can't help but be happy when leaving Brooklyn (big city) for the 'burbs of LKWD and TR, no matter how large and "convenient" they may be.

In the literal sense they are OOT, in the Jewish world they are very much in town.
And Toronto, Montreal, Chicago are considered OOT lol

meyerlemon44

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 5:53 am
I live OOT and love it. People are much more normal, Jews and non Jews. Though I still enjoy visiting NYC for Shabbos, I’m glad I don’t have to worry about the gashmius there.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:29 am
While she specifically said Tri-state area is in town, the frum communities in CT are still small and friendly. There are not dozens of schools, shuls, stores, restaurants, and chessed organizations. Most people know the majority of the other frum people in those communities. It is less focused on conspicuous consumption. There is no alternate side parking or gridlocked traffic. Housing is cheaper. It's really OOT living at it's best.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:29 am
Life changing for us!!!!!!
We went fro Brooklyn no a small town, we love almost everything so much more.
Do we miss some conveniences sometime? Sure, but we appreciate more when we can get it.
We enjoy our small close knit community, our backyard, the amazing parks and the fact that relearn to live nicely amongst others not like us.
Everyone is so much warmer and accepting here, no judgement on who's wearing the latest etc.
We have adopted to shopping the big grocery stores and stocking the freezer with kosher items, we really don't need pizza, ice. cream, sushi and bagels at all hours anyway.

Tuition is much higher, but balances with lower cost housing and a simpler lifestyle.

Our entire family is more relaxed, quality if life is worlds apart. I knew there would-be improvements before I moved, I didn't realize just how amazing. it would be.

We weren't any gov't programs before, so not an issue for us. We did have kids in therapy, we did find provides here, not necessarily covered by insurance, but we also need less therapy here.

I can't ever see myself going back to NY! We left 6 years ago.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:16 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
TR is not OOT!

Well for us it most certainly is.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:24 am
For sure. I live in waterbury ct. I never have to worry about parking, crazy traffic on Friday, alternate side, or my kids not getting into school. The people are friendly and not very high maintenance. The community is warm and helps out when you need it most.
In school my kids know nearly all their teachers as friends and neighbors.
The chessed and kindness here is overwhelming.
Although salaries here are lower than the metropolitan area, cost of living is lower as well. Homes are relatively cheap.
And unlike passaic there is courtesy bussing to school every day.

rachel0615

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:57 am
We moved from NY to Detroit. Our quality of life has improved so so much. Both my dh and I are in chinch and we knew we would never be able to buy a house, pay off loans, build.up savings living there. Our mortgage here is less than our rent for a 2 br apartment in NY! I also love love love being in a smaller community and the sense of family here. Very happy we moved bh!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:03 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Life changing for us!!!!!!
We went fro Brooklyn no a small town, we love almost everything so much more.
Do we miss some conveniences sometime? Sure, but we appreciate more when we can get it.
We enjoy our small close knit community, our backyard, the amazing parks and the fact that relearn to live nicely amongst others not like us.
Everyone is so much warmer and accepting here, no judgement on who's wearing the latest etc.
We have adopted to shopping the big grocery stores and stocking the freezer with kosher items, we really don't need pizza, ice. cream, sushi and bagels at all hours anyway.

Tuition is much higher, but balances with lower cost housing and a simpler lifestyle.

Our entire family is more relaxed, quality if life is worlds apart. I knew there would-be improvements before I moved, I didn't realize just how amazing. it would be.

We weren't any gov't programs before, so not an issue for us. We did have kids in therapy, we did find provides here, not necessarily covered by insurance, but we also need less therapy here.

I can't ever see myself going back to NY! We left 6 years ago.

Can I know where you moved to?

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 10:24 am
I live in Montreal and love it here!! I love the close knit community, the the sense of belonging, the warmth (not literally Tongue Out ) the friendliness. I love being a somebody. I love the family feel!! I also love there we do have a bustling down town.
However it’s very expensive here, most homes in my area are $1mil and up, tuition is $10k a child, cars are expensive, food, and everything is taxed through the roof. We do get nice childcare benefits but not enough to make up for the expenses.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 10:38 am
We moved from Queens (KGH) to Baltimore. It was the best thing we could do. Our quality of life is 1000 times better.

Financially we are doing slightly better. But we went from renting a tiny apartment to owning a house. Our mortgage + taxes + insurance is about what we paid just for rent. My husband is home every single night for supper and can learn with my older kids, where as before he didn't step into the house before 9:00pm. We have SPACE!!!!

We did lose out on conveniences though. No free school busing and lots of carpooling. You need a car here--even 2. Not much is walking distance and public transportation isn't great.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:14 pm
100% for sure!! We actually moved to the east coast from the Midwest hated it too much even though family was closer and couldn't be happier where we are! B"H we can afford our home, dayschool tuition to include preschool and our property/ income taxes!!! We can actually think about a vacation living OOT, where on the east coast that would never happen...it all depends on what matters to you...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating