Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
DS has the flu, and I guess I just missed the memo
1  2  Next

Rappel

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 11:20 pm
We didn't get our flu shots yet, due to several reasons.

Now that we're back in Israel, I was arranging for us to get them, when I sent my son back to gan last week. Thursday he looks pale. Friday he spiked a high fever, which stuck with us through last night.

Last night, I messaged his ganenet to tell her he has flu, and that she should isolate any kids with symptoms immediately, since this round is really not fun (super high fever, constant vomiting).

She told me she herself is home with flu now, and more than half the class was out sick on Friday.

And I'm like - what????

I know it's preschool, and life isn't sanitary. I know that we missed the initial flu shot rounds, and now they won't send more to our town. But even so - how did EVERYONE come down with the flu? If I'd known it was rampant, I would have kept him home a few more days until we could reserve shots in a city clinic.

I'm mostly irritated with myself, but I'm also astounded at how blasé she was about everyone being sick.

Did I miss a memo?

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 11:36 pm
Can’t look to blame anyone... it’s flu season and going around like crazy now.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 11:41 pm
Something you can do about it...
http://avivahwerner.com/2020/0.....-flu/

Rappel

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 12:05 am
I know pearl. I'm just shocked. I thought we were the only ones whom missed the shots, let alone that it was running rampant in gan.

Wheat, thanks! I'm pretty wary of playing with fat-soluble vitamins (ever hear the story about the Arctic expedition which ate a polar bears liver?) but I'll talk to our ped about it.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 4:43 am
This flu season is bad. Especially with the little ones
My 3 year old came down with flu and strep and the teacher tells me that it's been going around the class. Literally each and every child has gotten sick. She told me that mothers are not careful to send back their kid when there's been 24 hours without fever. She was forced to send back home kids who showed up sick. I feel like the only responsible parent that made sure ds was fever free officially before sending back.
Yes a sick kid is hard to keep occupied, but my child missed an entire week of school because of irresponsible mothers.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 4:57 am
My dd got the flu shot. This is the second time in weeks that she is sick with flu like symptoms. We did the flu test the first time she was sick, and it was negative.

Dd told me classmates have been coming to school sick/vomiting. This is disgusting.

When dd was sick the first time I kept her home one extra day. It was for her benefit, since I felt I was to wait one more day before exposing her to germs again. Other moms were like "so you dont work?". Dh and I both work. We took turns staying home with her.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 4:58 am
Probably poor comfort, but it takes ten days to two weeks after getting the shot to develop immunity. Even if you had got is as soon as you got back, he could have caught flu at gan before that period was over.

Don't try to rely on herd immunity - the rest of the herd could be doing the same!

Flu shots in very short supply at the moment, not just in yishuvim. The kuppah where I work (in Jerusalem) got a huge supply two days ago, and this morning sixteen was the most left at any one clinic. They are trying to concentrate the supply at a few big clinics, but even that is unreliable.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 5:04 am
This year, my son's beis medrash dismissed them extra for Chanukah because so many of them were sick. And many were taking a full week home before going back. And many had had the flu shot. I think it's just one if those years. May Hashem keep us all safe.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 5:07 am
DH and I both got flu shots. It didn't prevent the flu.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 5:10 am
Elfrida wrote:
Probably poor comfort, but it takes ten days to two weeks after getting the shot to develop immunity. Even if you had got is as soon as you got back, he could have caught flu at gan before that period was over.

Don't try to rely on herd immunity - the rest of the herd could be doing the same!

Flu shots in very short supply at the moment, not just in yishuvim. The kuppah where I work (in Jerusalem) got a huge supply two days ago, and this morning sixteen was the most left at any one clinic. They are trying to concentrate the supply at a few big clinics, but even that is unreliable.

Muehedet in yerushalyim has been out for weeks. They just got more

My kids got the first dose but not the second

grace413

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 5:18 am
Refuah Shlaimah.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 5:43 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Something you can do about it...
http://avivahwerner.com/2020/0.....-flu/

My understanding is that mega doses of supplements are more heavily regulated in Israel than in the US.

gyf45

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 5:55 am
I’m confused I thought vomiting is related to stomach flu which is viral not actual influenza.
If you do have flu and are taking the medication Tamiflu -the biggest side effect is vomiting but influenza doesn’t cause this.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:20 am
gyf45 wrote:
I’m confused I thought vomiting is related to stomach flu which is viral not actual influenza.
If you do have flu and are taking the medication Tamiflu -the biggest side effect is vomiting but influenza doesn’t cause this.

Vomiting is not uncommon with the flu. Not everyone has that symptom, but it's not unheard of.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:26 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Muehedet in yerushalyim has been out for weeks. They just got more

My kids got the first dose but not the second

And then we ran out again.

Second doses are being prioritized. If you speak to your local clinic they can let you know if they have, and when to come.

If they don't have at your local clinic, they do have at HaTurim. Call them and tell them you are on your way for a second dose and they should be able to reserve it for you.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:08 am
its flu season. half my son's classs was out last week.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:40 am
Wow. Thank you all for the information. I guess this is going to be a pray and take vitamin C kind of season.

I'd still like for us to get the shot though. We're in leumit. Does anyone know of a clinic that currently has vaccines? I called today as far as Petah Tikva and the Mesillat Yesharim branch in Yerushalayim, and everyone says they are out.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:45 am
gyf45 wrote:

Vomiting is quite common in children when they have the flu.
Dd and I both had the flu. She was vomiting, I wasn’t.

amother
White

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:49 am
Elfrida wrote:

Even if you are exposed to the flu and then get the shot - and then get the flu is often not as bad with less complications.
And you are less likely to get the other strains of the flu later. And if you do get those flu strains also likely to be milder with less complications.
So getting the shot isn’t a waste.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:53 am
gyf45 wrote:

Influenza is also viral.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers