Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Book recommendations

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 7:53 pm
Looking for some good Jewish novels for adults
Mostly divorce stories like split ends.

Topics on
Divorce
Marriage
Dating
Thriller
Mystery

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 9:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Looking for some good Jewish novels for adults
Mostly divorce stories like split ends.

Topics on
Divorce
Marriage
Dating
Thriller
Mystery

I'm not sure if there's a list anywhere, but serials in The Voice of Lakewood that came out in book form would fit the bill. Sara Wiederblank is the only author that comes to mind right away.

As far as thriller goes, Chaim Eliav came out with a new book recently. The Four? I don't remember.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 10:15 am
Thanks

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 12:34 pm
Charades by riva pomerantz
I can call you Ima(blended family) leah fried
Coming home (about divorced couple) by Leah Fried

Odelyah

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 12:40 pm
Seven Blessings by Ruchama King

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:06 pm
Odelyah wrote:
Seven Blessings by Ruchama King

Yes! And also Risa Miller's books.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:48 pm
Thank you!

Odelyah

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:53 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Yes! And also Risa Miller's books.
Heart

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 10:40 pm
Hey I never heard of R. King or Lisa Miller. I do not read secular books but I see those are Jewish authors, correct? Yay! Any others as such that u can recommend?

Odelyah

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:16 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Hey I never heard of R. King or Lisa Miller. I do not read secular books but I see those are Jewish authors, correct? Yay! Any others as such that u can recommend?

Yay is right! (it's Risa btw with an R)

I was a voracious consumer of secular literature (as in, I consumed vast quantities of books) from basically age 5-18 and then pretty much stopped when I decided I wanted to immerse myself in Torah and wanted my neshama to be pure.

When I read my first Ruchama King short story years ago I had this tremendous rush of joy; it spoke so powerfully to all the disparate parts of my self that were suddenly no longer contradictory. In fact she creates a whole that is far greater than the combined parts because she employs authentic Jewish motifs and imagery and elevates the craft of writing in way that is uniquely fulfilling and even inspiring. She is my favorite writer by far. Risa Miller is also very good-- her first novel Welcome to Heavenly Heights won a literary award. It was much sadder, and less uplifting to me than Ruchama's works, so only read it if you like books that make you cry. The elements of magical realism were a delightful surprise though! Smile

They are the only 2 Jewish fiction writers I can think of that I would recommend, who are published in the secular press but are authentically Jewish and clean (for adult women-- there are mature themes that are not appropriate for younger teens, and they would not be published by the frum publishers, but they are much, MUCH cleaner than the imamother intimacy threads Wink)

If there are others in their category I would love to hear about them! (There are a handful of frum writers who are of the same caliber, IMO, that are published by Feldheim etc. though.)

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:18 am
All of Riva Pomerantz books are about divorce/marriage
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room