Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Nits :(

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 3:14 pm
I'm freaking out... I live in Israel and everybody talks about how common it is here, but for the past 7 and a half years I guess I have been lucky. Now my little boy has nits Sad I noticed that he was scratching a lot the other day and started combing his hair with a lice comb. Nothing caught but then I saw one crawling on his back, must have come out... Gross. Anyway today I put a lice spray on his hair and washed out like I was supposed to. My question is, does the spray kill nits or just live lice? I started looking thorough his hair afterwards and saw a bunch of small nits (they were brown and still very hard to take out). The lice comb was not catching them, they were very small- I had to cut them out. I looked for ages but am terrified that I missed some... Now what? Do I have to check every day? Or are they dead and I shouldn't worry and wait until they come out? The spray I used is called Hedrin Once and the woman in the pharmacy said it is the best... I believe her, it was 8p shekel for a tiny bottle Exploding anger Sorry so long, but any help you can give me would be great. I want to cry Sad

tweety1

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 3:18 pm
Pantene conditioner works wonders. Put a lot. Let sit for abt 10 min. Then comb with the "nisca" lice comb (if it can be found there). I heard this from a professional that takes it out for $. Comb through a lot. Then rinse let hair dry and hand pick. There won't be too many left. It takes out nits also not only lice

amother
Coral

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 3:44 pm
Cover your child's head with olive oil mixed with peppermint extract. put on shower cap and leave overnight. Will kill any live bugs and make nits easier to remove. The only thing that kills nits I believe is high heat so, after washing out the oil dry hair with hot hair dryer as long as child can take it. Repeat procedure again in 10 days to make sure you kill anything that might have been left alive. google lice removal and you will find this.

tweety1

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 6:30 pm
amother wrote:
Cover your child's head with olive oil mixed with peppermint extract. put on shower cap and leave overnight. Will kill any live bugs and make nits easier to remove. The only thing that kills nits I believe is high heat so, after washing out the oil dry hair with hot hair dryer as long as child can take it. Repeat procedure again in 10 days to make sure you kill anything that might have been left alive. google lice removal and you will find this.

As a girl I suffered intensely on nits/lice. When I was old enough to learn to blow dry my hair I did so 2x-3x a week. Within a few mnths I was nits free!

Leahh

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 7:33 pm
amother wrote:

Please do not put your child to sleep with a shower cap on his head. It is a choking hazard and can be fatal!

chatz

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 10:48 pm
I second the conditioner method.
Put Pantene conditioner in the hair and comb through with a good quality metal lice comb. Wipe it off on a paper towel after each time. the conditioner makes the nits slide right off and also immobilizes any live ones. I've also seen to dip the comb in baking soda to help kill the lice, but personally, it makes my kids' hair stiff and hard to comb.

If you have an infestation, do the suffocation method first- grease the hair with olive oil (or I've seen other substances mentioned, like butter) and cover with a plastic bag or saran wrap. Leave it on for a few hours. This will kill live lice.

I've also seen that apple cider vinegar will loosens nits. Never tried it, but either way, ACV is supposed to be good for scalp/skin health. As long as your son can keep his head tilted back so it doesn't go into his eyes, you can just pour it on his scalp in the shower. This can be done regularly without too much effort.

Miri1

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 11:56 am
Don't put a child to sleep wearing a shower cap, it is dangerous!

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 2:07 pm
Assis 2000 is the best comb. I crush them between my thumbnails. I want them dead! The tips of the comb are tapered, so there's a wider space between the teeth. Try climbing at a 20degree angle not the 45-90 that you're used to.

Happydance

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 2:59 pm
you can use a bathing cap

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 1:09 pm
If you use plastic film it won't move from the head. But I don't see how a child big enough for lice is endangered by a cap. I would totally do it esp above 2 (?). In maternities here they say to put on a bonnet the first days, and sometimes the bonnet falls in the sleep.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:14 pm
Anyone know someone excellent in Yerushalaim?
who does not use harsh/dangerous products?
Do you have a telephone number?
good experience?
My daughter is there and got nits.
thank you so much.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:42 pm
Stay away from lice products that u buy in store they r poison and they dont get rid of the nots or lice they just kill it. Its pure chemicals and poisonous.
Best is comb hair with nisha comb and pantene conditioner after combing thru hair u can put some vinegar and baking soda in hair to get it more tender and comb thru again. When u don't see any more coming out on the comb blow dry hair and check thru the hair to see if u missed any.

Side fact its
always good to keep a nice comb in ure shower and comb thru hair on a daily basis for just a minute or 2

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:58 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Anyone know someone excellent in Yerushalaim?
who does not use harsh/dangerous products?
Do you have a telephone number?
good experience?
My daughter is there and got nits.
thank you so much.
google search (or if you have face book) lice busters jerusalem. Never used them but heard only great thing about them.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 4:00 am
What we found to work was to take a spray bottle and put in mint mouth wash. I spray it in my daughter's hair until her hair is sopping wet with it. She then sits, with a shower cap or swimming cap, for up to an hour. Afterward, she showers and we comb it out with the lice comb. It usually works right away. Sometimes we have to do it again a few days later, but usually it is perfect.
The lice hate mint.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 6:20 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

The lice hate mint.

I've also heard the same about vinegar. People also use tea tree oil. I've vaguely remembering something about not combining all these presumed repellents, maybe tea tree oil shampoo with something else.

yc

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 6:29 am
assy comb for sure. costs around 60 shekel (your kupa may give a discount) but its an investment.
conditioner - any conditioner will do. no need to use pantene.

Rappel

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 6:30 am
Iymnok wrote:
Assis 2000 is the best comb. I crush them between my thumbnails. I want them dead! The tips of the comb are tapered, so there's a wider space between the teeth. Try climbing at a 20degree angle not the 45-90 that you're used to.

Secomd the Assy 2000

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 6:33 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I've also heard the same about vinegar. People also use tea tree oil. I've vaguely remembering something about not combining all these presumed repellents, maybe tea tree oil shampoo with something else.
The first time I read about the mint it actually said to then spray vinegar after the mint but we did this for my daughter and it was too much for her skin (whatever dripped down) and we had to stop (she has very dry skin) but the mint and vinegar should be a perfect mix and should work. tea tree oil is great.

mom of cuties

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:45 am
Assy 2000 comb
Pantene conditioner (put loads)
And comb and comb and comb
Comb all angles cuz these lice are smart and try to wiggle away.

Hendrin once and rid lice are loaded with chemicals and they only kill live lice not nits so you’ll be back to square one once the nits hatch.

Good luck! It’s no fun, I know I’ve been there
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics