Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How to dispose of leaky leftovers after bag ban?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 5:28 pm
Currently I dispose of leaky leftovers (chicken soup, saucy foods) in a plastic grocery bag which I tie and put into the garbage bag. How can I dispose of messy leftovers after a bag ban would go into effect?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 5:30 pm
Disposable food storage bags

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 5:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Currently I dispose of leaky leftovers (chicken soup, saucy foods) in a plastic grocery bag which I tie and put into the garbage bag. How can I dispose of messy leftovers after a bag ban would go into effect?

You have two choices:

1) You can stockpile those vegetable bags the grocery provides to put apples in and such and use those.

2) You can put the soup and saucy foods directly into the garbage. I do, and there's really no need to double bag. The trash bags from Costco, or the Hefty ones, are really strong and thick and rarely leak, unless you're throwing in some broken glass everywhere or something.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 5:33 pm
I pour actual liquid down the sink. The rest goes in my compost bin. (bin for only food waste and organic matter).

pbandjelly

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 5:52 pm
You can buy your own on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/TashiBo.....r=8-2

Comes out to 4 and half cents each bag
(308 total)

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 5:57 pm
Hoard empty beverage cartons that can be reclosed. I use produce bags if I don’t have a handy carton

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:02 pm
zaq wrote:
Hoard empty beverage cartons that can be reclosed. I use produce bags if I don’t have a handy carton

This only works if your garbage company isn’t strict about recycling. I think you can get a ticket in nyc for this.

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:08 pm
Sink drain. If big pcs, flush it down the toilet?

SingALong

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:47 pm
Small plastic containers. The disposable kind

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Flush liquids
Dispose of solids

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:07 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
This only works if your garbage company isn’t strict about recycling. I think you can get a ticket in nyc for this.

Coated containers are not recyclable.

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:09 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
Sink drain. If big pcs, flush it down the toilet?

Nononono! Sewage and septic systems can’t handle that kind of solid waste.

lavenderchimes

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:27 pm
zaq wrote:
Coated containers are not recyclable.

Most are. "Cartons" go in with plastics, not paper, though.
NYC Recycling guidlines

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:38 pm
zaq wrote:
Nononono! Sewage and septic systems can’t handle that kind of solid waste.

Never had problems from flushing veggies/soups... sauces

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:41 pm
I currently hoard plastic shopping bags. I have been doing this for a long time.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:44 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Disposable food storage bags

This is defeating the purpose of the ban. All you're doing is replacing the store bags with bags of your own.

OP - you need to pose this question to the Save the Planet enthusiasts.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 10:14 pm
THe ban makes zero sense! How am I supposed to take *anything* with me outdoors? I'm not going to start toting around big brown paper bags. I need bags that I can tie closed, like a shopping bag. So the grocery store won't give me shopping bags, I'll just use whatever I saved up.
I can't lug home multiple bags from the grocery store, butcher store, fish store, toy store, hardware store, pharmacy, etc etc etc in bulky paper bags.
We do errands on foot in my neighborhood, not with a car. I can't lug around big paper bags.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 10:23 pm
Why don't liquids just go into the sink? Unless something is exceptionally fatty which might congeal, I just pour down the sink. If I have to get rid of fatty liquids, I will generally have an old coffee can - or just take the garbage bag out immediately. I've never used grocery plastic bags for liquids.

Many people in metropolitan areas including European cities adjust well to not having plastic bags given out for free. There are all kinds of workarounds - are people who shlep groceries home without a car actually carry multiple plastic bags? Perhaps I am not understanding the issue - how does having free plastic bags help. If you are shopping, you carry reusable bags with you. If for some reason you forgot a bag, you buy one and then you have the option to use it again.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 10:52 pm
I flush everything except hard pieces or real solids. Anything liquid or mushy gets flushed.

Idk, I hardly ever reuse plastic shopping bags. I have bags from Ikea that I really like, not the standard reusable bags. They were $1-2 each, they're a soft fabric that can be crumpled or folded really small, and they're durable. Plus they hold more than a plastic bag does. Plus I feel less like a bag lady than I do with three mismatched shopping bags.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 11:08 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
THe ban makes zero sense! How am I supposed to take *anything* with me outdoors?

Why does it matter if the peasants have to learn to juggle? The superior folks of the New York Legislature get to pat themselves on the back for helping the environment, and they get their groceries delivered anyway.
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics