Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Mystery illness—take a guess
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:48 pm
Just starting off with this disclaimer. I’ve been to the doctor twice and still don’t know what he has. I’m asking here purely out of curiosity since there’s nothing to be done anyway.

My 4 year old son had a high fever and sore throat. I figured it was probably strep. Took him for a throat culture. While waiting for results to come back I was told to start the antibiotics anyway since his throat was extremely red and inflamed and tonsils were swollen.
The next day he had a few blisters on his lips and tiny pink dots on his hands.
I figured hand foot and mouth disease.
The next day he was covered in a red rash of tiny pink dots all over his body and red cheeks and a tongue that looked suspiciously like a strawberry.
I figured scarlet fever.
I took him to the dr again. A different dr. He said it’s not a classic scarlet fever. Not a classic hand foot and mouth. Could be anything.
Keep him on antibiotics.
Turns out the culture was negative. The dr thinks it might be a false negative because the person that swabbed him was a student.
It could be scarlet fever from the strep but then the tiny blisters don’t make sense.
It could be hand foot and mouth but the blisters weren’t fluid filled which also doesn’t make sense. They were more like tiny red spots.
It’s unlikely to be an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin because the first blister started before I started antibiotics.

Thanks for reading this long post. If you have any theories about what happened please tell me. The red cheeks continued for a week but the rash went away after 2 days.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:51 pm
Chicken pox? Measles?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:51 pm
Strep comes out in all types of ways. To me it all sounds like strep.
My kids have had puffy blister type of things on their bodies and their throat cultures were positive. Is the antibiotic helping your child? If not, that would be more concerning.

Last edited by thunderstorm on Mon, Jan 13 2020, 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:54 pm
First thought is shingles. Then chicken pox.

Odelyah

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:58 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
First thought is shingles. Then chicken pox.

not shingles. shingles is on 1 side of body, in one area.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:01 pm
Fifths disease?

https://kidshealth.org/en/parents/fifth.html

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:01 pm
Could be both strep and HFM. Sometimes people get two things at once. I would re swab strep, instant and overnight.

Odelyah

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:02 pm
are they dots or blisters? you said blisters but not fluid filled and you also said tiny dots.

are they elevated bumps or dots of red color but not 3 dimensional?

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:05 pm
My 4 yo has something similar. Repeated culture negative for strep. Sore throat for a month and mild but clearly strawberry tongue. He had strep twice before this all started. Any ideas?

lilies

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:09 pm
scarlet fever?

Kumphort

See if this looks like it?
https://reference.medscape.com.....698#2

ectomorph

lilies wrote:
scarlet fever?
repeated negative culture in last 3 week's...

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:14 pm
My daughter was once covered in a rash of red dots from head to toe as a baby, no fever, didn't seem bothered by the rash... The doctor told me it was a strain of hand foot mouth. Went away after a couple of days.
It sounds like what your son has can be viral.

lilies

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:17 pm
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
Kawasaki disease

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just starting off with this disclaimer. I’ve been to the doctor twice and still don’t know what he has. I’m asking here purely out of curiosity since there’s nothing to be done anyway.

My 4 year old son had a high fever and sore throat. I figured it was probably strep. Took him for a throat culture. While waiting for results to come back I was told to start the antibiotics anyway since his throat was extremely red and inflamed and tonsils were swollen.
The next day he had a few blisters on his lips and tiny pink dots on his hands.
I figured hand foot and mouth disease.
The next day he was covered in a red rash of tiny pink dots all over his body and red cheeks and a tongue that looked suspiciously like a strawberry.
I figured scarlet fever.
I took him to the dr again. A different dr. He said it’s not a classic scarlet fever. Not a classic hand foot and mouth. Could be anything.
Keep him on antibiotics.
Turns out the culture was negative. The dr thinks it might be a false negative because the person that swabbed him was a student.
It could be scarlet fever from the strep but then the tiny blisters don’t make sense.
It could be hand foot and mouth but the blisters weren’t fluid filled which also doesn’t make sense. They were more like tiny red spots.
It’s unlikely to be an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin because the first blister started before I started antibiotics.

Thanks for reading this long post. If you have any theories about what happened please tell me. The red cheeks continued for a week but the rash went away after 2 days.

Red cheeks? Sounds like 5th disease. It has been going around. Vaccine coming soon.

lilies

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:21 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Red cheeks? Sounds like 5th disease. It has been going around. Vaccine coming soon.

Yes on red cheeks and rash for 5th disease. Wouldn't have the fever or sore throat though.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:24 pm
lilies wrote:
Yes on red cheeks and rash for 5th disease. Wouldn't have the fever or sore throat though.

There can be fever around the same time

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:26 pm
lilies wrote:

You can have both with fifths disease.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:34 pm
lilies wrote:
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
Kawasaki disease

We did blood work for kawasaki it was negative.

lilies

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:35 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
You can have both with fifths disease.

Thanks. Didn't know that.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics