Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Mystery illness—take a guess
Previous  1  2  3  Next

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:36 pm
My son doesn't have any rash or spots. Just terrible sore throat and strawberry tongue. Blood work came back normal no high wbc.

lilies

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:39 pm
B-12 or zinc deficiency?
Has nosebleeds?

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:41 pm
Another vote for fifths disease. My nephew had exactly what you are describing. Viruses or infections don’t always present themselves in the typical way especially if you have say a virus together with an infection. My dad (in his 60s) had high fever and no other symptoms. They did all kinds of bloodwork and had no clue what it was. It turned out that he has pneumonia (as confirmed with chest X-ray) and he didn’t even cough once u til like a week later

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:42 pm
lilies wrote:
B-12 or zinc deficiency?
Has nosebleeds?

He gets it as a supplement. No nosebleeds. Unlikely to be deficiency. Iron levels are good.

lilies

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:44 pm
TSS? Does he eat tissues?

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:46 pm
This post read like dr. Seuss green eggs and ham.

mommyfish

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:46 pm
Roseola?

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:53 pm
lilies wrote:
TSS? Does he eat tissues?

No but very creative! I'm waiting for his strep antibody test I suspect it's somehow strep

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:53 pm
My son has no fever

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:59 pm
mommyfish wrote:
Roseola?

Another vote for roseola. Sounds like what my 4 year old: highest fever she ever had

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:03 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Another vote for roseola. Sounds like what my 4 year old: highest fever she ever had

Really high fever and rash could be measles.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:04 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:

My niece caught roseola during a measles outbreak in Israel. The lab wouldn't let her in. Made my brother submit a sample from outside. They were afraid to contaminate the building.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:05 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:

It was most definitely not measles. It was roseola. This was a few months back.

lilies

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:06 pm
Can you both update us on final diagnoses?
Curiouser and curiouser.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:46 pm
Thanks everyone for your replies! It really means so much to me.

The fever went down a few hrs after taking antibiotics. I don’t know if it was because of the antibiotics or it was anyway going down. I think it was too quick to give the antibiotics the credit.
The sore throat continued for at least 5 days. Getting better every day after antibiotics but was so bad to begin with my poor boy was in pain even with motrin.

The rash all over his body was flat not raised but a few spots on his hands were raised. And around his mouth were the worst of the blisters but they were still not too bad, pretty small and raised and I kind of think they had a bit of a crust on them.

I feel like he had strep and HFM at the same time. Or the HFM gave him such bad blisters on his throat that they got infected. The only places the rash was raised even slightly was on his hands and mouth. He had like 2 dots on his toes that could maybe count for the feet.
Maybe the HFM only gave him blisters on his HF and Mouth but everywhere else was a flat rash? Does that make sense?

The red cheeks reminds me of fifths disease. The strawberry tongue only lasted for half a day so I can’t be sure. The dr didn’t see it.

The whole illness was centered around his throat. That was the worst part and the painful part. He had tiny red spots in his throat that looked exactly like strep. It looked like his tonsils were bleeding they were so inflamed. I’ve never seen such a blood red throat ever. But after 2 days on antibiotics it started getting better.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 10:05 pm
My 11 yr old son had a weird rash with fever. It looked like a cross between chicken pox and measles and it was neither. One doctor thought it was Honlein-Shonluch purpura or something, I freaked out. The other doctor said it was an allergic reaction brought on by whatever virus his body had, and with benadryl and steroids it was gone within a week....

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 10:18 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
My 11 yr old son had a weird rash with fever. It looked like a cross between chicken pox and measles and it was neither. One doctor thought it was Honlein-Shonluch purpura or something, I freaked out. The other doctor said it was an allergic reaction brought on by whatever virus his body had, and with benadryl and steroids it was gone within a week....

Omg, I had Henoch-Schonlein purpura when I was a child. Never heard of anyone who had it since then! It was actually quite scary, it was on shabbos and my parents freaked and brought me to the dr. (It was Dr. Shanik, top diagnostician) He was nervous about leukemia c”v cuz symptoms are very similar. He had me do bloodwork that Friday night and bH BH it was only this weird virus.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 10:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks everyone for your replies! It really means so much to me.

The fever went down a few hrs after taking antibiotics. I don’t know if it was because of the antibiotics or it was anyway going down. I think it was too quick to give the antibiotics the credit.
The sore throat continued for at least 5 days. Getting better every day after antibiotics but was so bad to begin with my poor boy was in pain even with motrin.

The rash all over his body was flat not raised but a few spots on his hands were raised. And around his mouth were the worst of the blisters but they were still not too bad, pretty small and raised and I kind of think they had a bit of a crust on them.

I feel like he had strep and HFM at the same time. Or the HFM gave him such bad blisters on his throat that they got infected. The only places the rash was raised even slightly was on his hands and mouth. He had like 2 dots on his toes that could maybe count for the feet.
Maybe the HFM only gave him blisters on his HF and Mouth but everywhere else was a flat rash? Does that make sense?

The red cheeks reminds me of fifths disease. The strawberry tongue only lasted for half a day so I can’t be sure. The dr didn’t see it.

The whole illness was centered around his throat. That was the worst part and the painful part. He had tiny red spots in his throat that looked exactly like strep. It looked like his tonsils were bleeding they were so inflamed. I’ve never seen such a blood red throat ever. But after 2 days on antibiotics it started getting better.

Hey, I called HFM and strep at the same time! What do I win? Laugh

Unfortunately my kids have had both too many times (though BH not at the same time). Kids with HFM can have sores on any of those areas, plus sometimes diaper area, but not necessarily more than one. My kids usually get only in the mouth. It actually often comes along with terrible sore throat and sores in the throat.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just starting off with this disclaimer. I’ve been to the doctor twice and still don’t know what he has. I’m asking here purely out of curiosity since there’s nothing to be done anyway.

My 4 year old son had a high fever and sore throat. I figured it was probably strep. Took him for a throat culture. While waiting for results to come back I was told to start the antibiotics anyway since his throat was extremely red and inflamed and tonsils were swollen.
The next day he had a few blisters on his lips and tiny pink dots on his hands.
I figured hand foot and mouth disease.
The next day he was covered in a red rash of tiny pink dots all over his body and red cheeks and a tongue that looked suspiciously like a strawberry.
I figured scarlet fever.
I took him to the dr again. A different dr. He said it’s not a classic scarlet fever. Not a classic hand foot and mouth. Could be anything.
Keep him on antibiotics.
Turns out the culture was negative. The dr thinks it might be a false negative because the person that swabbed him was a student.
It could be scarlet fever from the strep but then the tiny blisters don’t make sense.
It could be hand foot and mouth but the blisters weren’t fluid filled which also doesn’t make sense. They were more like tiny red spots.
It’s unlikely to be an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin because the first blister started before I started antibiotics.

Thanks for reading this long post. If you have any theories about what happened please tell me. The red cheeks continued for a week but the rash went away after 2 days.

could it be...a virus, and then an allergic reaction to the antibiotics?

Only thing that makes me think otherwise is that your child is already 4....but the rash sounds just like what happened to my DD at 7 months, when we found out she was allergic to penicillin that was prescribed for an ear infection.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:58 pm
Update-
It’s been 2 weeks since the fever and rash and I figured that if I start seeing peeling skin on his fingers and toes then I’ll have my confirmation that it was scarlet fever.
Guess what I see today? You guessed it- peeling skin.
So now that I’m quite sure it was scarlet fever we start phase 2.

4 days after finishing his antibiotics my son got a fever again. He was coughing and sniffling so I figured bad luck he’s probably got the flu.
Now I’m wondering if this could be rheumatic fever. And I’m feeling freaked out. He’s had the fever for over 2 days and not getting better. But aside for the coughing and more tired he’s mostly ok. Eating playing though mostly watching videos. I guess he is more tired. His throat is a bit red but he’s not complaining.
Tomorrow we go to the doctor again.
I think I should have gone to medical school. It would have saved me so much time if I could just diagnose him myself. I do mostly come up with things myself anyway. Laugh

Please tell me what you know about rheumatic fever.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics