Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
I can't look at photos of me!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:16 pm
without feeling horrible about myself. (probably shouldve put this in emotional health but...).I look like a frog and whoever's next to me in the photo looks like a princess...

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:49 pm
I'm sure you look great. It's the inside that really counts but I do understand the pressure to look/feel good. Hatzlocho

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:50 pm
We just did family pics with all my ILs. I want to vomit after looking at the proofs. It was very motivating to get me back on a diet and exercise program -- but those pics are still out there. My MIL will hang them up on her wall. The photographer posted them on his website and on facebook. I'm so embarrassed.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:52 pm
I'm very self conscious of how I look in pictures. I'm not photogenic, my smile and posture are awful.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:58 pm
I was literally about to post this today.
I hate the way I look.
I have no pix of myself since after my son's bris because it hurts to look. My lively, blue eyes and gray, dead, and puffy. My bright, healthy skin is papery, green, and dull. My lips are pale, cheeks sunken in. I have fine lines and discoloration. AND IM 23!!!!!
I totally feel you. Sending you hugs! I'm sure you're gorgeous Hug

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:09 pm
I didn’t hire a photographer at my sons barmitzva years ago because of weight gain soon I’ll have to walk him down the aisle I’m so embarrassed at party’s I walk away when pictures are taken at my mother in laws home theirs albums with me in them that I can’t stand

rising hero

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:18 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
I didn’t hire a photographer at my sons barmitzva years ago because of weight gain soon I’ll have to walk him down the aisle I’m so embarrassed at party’s I walk away when pictures are taken at my mother in laws home theirs albums with me in them that I can’t stand

Im sorry that you are struggling with your weight. That sucks. But honestly isnt it a bit selfish not to hire a photographer for that reason? Its about him not you.
I apologize if my tone comes across as mean. Im asking in a nice way.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:28 pm
I am sure that irl people see past that and see the full picture - your positive traits, your personality, etc... A picture doesn't capture everything.
I happen to be pretty but I cringe when I look at photos of myself. I am very un-photogenic and I just look horrible.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 11:16 pm
I agree 100% with your feelings

A few weeks ago I went through all the digital pictures we have and deleted every picture of myself that I found.

I am only taking pictures of my kids at my sons bar mitzvah in a few weeks.

And as an aside I am skinny and young (32) but self loathing isn’t logical.

heidi

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:29 am
I beg to disagree. Self loathing can be super logical. I am absolutely monstrous in pictures. Somehow every one of my 5 chins and fat creases in my face are highlighted, no matter what the angle of the picture.
I cringe and have to walk away every time I see a picture of myself.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:43 am
I don't understand how I look more or less passable in the mirror but so awful in pictures.

I usually go back down somewhat after a baby, but this one left 30+ lb that isn't going anywhere. And now I'm pregnant again, so there's that! (Nobody is able to tell, because I've looked pregnant for 2 years already.)

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
without feeling horrible about myself. (probably shouldve put this in emotional health but...).I look like a frog and whoever's next to me in the photo looks like a princess...

I’ve always felt the same!!! Hug

Snickers18

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:58 am
I can sympathize as I’m pretty self-conscious myself (I actually look pleasant in real life but am horribly unphotogenic), but I make a concerted effort to be in pictures with my family because I don’t want my kids to pick up on it (if I wouldn’t want it for them, why should I do it myself?) and because why shouldn’t one of the most important people in my spouse’s and children’s lives be shown with them, for them to look back on fondly? I have to realize (and do) that this is my hang-up and that my husband and kids love making memories with me and seeing pictures of me. I’m only sorry I didn’t commit to this earlier. Just sharing another perspective that many of you may not have thought of and hoping that even if some of you never come to a place of complete self-acceptance, that at least you are able to see yourself through the eyes of those who love you. ❤️

Some articles of interest:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.....7/amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w.....9/amp

https://www.scarymommy.com/why.....otos/

etky

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:11 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I’ve always felt the same!!! Hug

Me three. I absolutely loathe being in pictures and will never voluntarily look at a picture of myself. In real life I think I look passable, fine even, but in pictures all my flaws are highlighted. And believe me, it gets worse as you get older and there are more flaws Sad

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:19 am
I’m also very unphotogenic and need to lose weight BUT I say to myself, tough that’s what I look like and if I want people to remember me with pictures, that’s what I look like.

etky

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:24 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I’m also very unphotogenic and need to lose weight BUT I say to myself, tough that’s what I look like and if I want people to remember me with pictures, that’s what I look like.

You're absolutely right. I wish I could do that.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:30 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I agree 100% with your feelings

A few weeks ago I went through all the digital pictures we have and deleted every picture of myself that I found.

I am only taking pictures of my kids at my sons bar mitzvah in a few weeks.

And as an aside I am skinny and young (32) but self loathing isn’t logical.

I am so sad for your kids. They wouldn't care about your (self perceived) flaws. Kids of every age are thrilled to have pictures of/with mom years down the line.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics