Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Did moving out of town improve your quality of life?
Previous  1  2

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:25 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
We moved from Queens (KGH) to Baltimore. It was the best thing we could do. Our quality of life is 1000 times better.

Financially we are doing slightly better. But we went from renting a tiny apartment to owning a house. Our mortgage + taxes + insurance is about what we paid just for rent. My husband is home every single night for supper and can learn with my older kids, where as before he didn't step into the house before 9:00pm. We have SPACE!!!!

We did lose out on conveniences though. No free school busing and lots of carpooling. You need a car here--even 2. Not much is walking distance and public transportation isn't great.

We also did and we are not thrilled
Financially the same. Salaries lower, expenses not much lower
No school bussing with schools being far away is a royal pain and makes getting a job difficult
I can never walk to stores, which I used to love. I'm always in my car now out of necessity.
I miss stores like amazing savings really badly.
I miss playgrounds and smaller attractions to take my kids to on sundays. Very little to do here.
I miss being close to relatives.
I found KGH to be more friendly, walkable, and convenient.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:26 pm
Love Scranton
Nice homes
Small kids class
Nice park called neigh aug and museum

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:33 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
100% for sure!! We actually moved to the east coast from the Midwest hated it too much even though family was closer and couldn't be happier where we are! B"H we can afford our home, dayschool tuition to include preschool and our property/ income taxes!!! We can actually think about a vacation living OOT, where on the east coast that would never happen...it all depends on what matters to you...

Where on the east coast did you move to?

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:18 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Where on the east coast did you move to?

Philadelphia....was not a good match for our family on many levels...Midwest is much better....we B"H love our community and are grateful for it!!

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:23 pm
Yes and no. I love living in a big house and being minutes away from the mountains. We also don't have a very long drive to the city and can make it for most family simchas.

On the down side:
We have 2 cars, by necessity. (Car for me to get to work, minivan for carpooling kids to school.) Gas and car payments, repairs, maintenance cost a HUGE amount every month. In NYC we had no car and never missed it.

Home ownership is expensive. You never know what might break when. Utilities are very costly when you are heating a whole entire house. We pay for water, sanitation and sewage which we didn't have to pay as renters. We only paid gas and electric. I had no clue how high water bills can be.

Chinuch for our kids didn't work out as we anticipated. Can't go into the details but we moved expecting one situation and it turned out to be very different. Kids aren't happy and would gladly move back except that we couldn't even find a one-bedroom to rent for our family of 10.

So, I'm not going to say that everything is rosy and peachy OOT. It helps a lot if you are realistic and crunch the numbers before you move, and when husband and wife are on the same page WRT finances.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:18 pm
Quote:
miss playgrounds and smaller attractions to take my kids to on sundays. Very little to do here.

If you are willing to drive a little, there are tons of parks and playgrounds not too far away. Locally, you are right...there are a few walking distance, but not many. But that's because we have yards and space to play.

Lack of busing is a pain. But both my husband and myself have worked full time ...we make it work.

Depending where you live you can walk some places. I will walk about a mile to do errands sometimes. Granted there is no amazing savings which we miss too.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating