Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
The Happiness Cipher- New serial in Binah by Etka G!
  Previous  1  2  3  15  16  17

Miri1

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 11:53 pm
Yes, excellent!
I also noticed that as the feelings were being narrated, I found myself wondering whose feelings they were.... we were so used to being privy to Birdie's keenly aware emotional world - that I was surprised when it turned out I'd been invited into Harry's thought process....
And then I realized how brilliant this was, because here they finally came together in a full and honest way, and Harry's thought process is on display like it never was before... kind of like they merged into each other, so I wasn't sure who was who! And Issy's small interjection (even after he'd calmly left Harry to do it himself)... beautiful and done so perfectly. Now at the point where Harry's and Birdie's minds have met, we're reminded that Birdie was the one who had heard Issy's voice (even while all along Harry thought he was hearing it).

I also loved the way we were able to see the old Harry in all his glory - just off the streets of Whitechapel, right after witnessing him as his older and more mature and thoughtful self - a reminder of how far he had come, the perfect juxtaposition.

So now some questions I've been pondering:
Is Morrie some ancestor of Maurice Bauer?
And will we ever discover who Birdie was before she was Birdie? Or is that completely not relevant? She left nothing and no-one behind, so not sure if we are ever to meet anyone in future stories who was connected to her from Trishik.
And Scotty, will we end up discovering some connection between Heshy and Faiga Himmelstein?? (...as discussed upthread!)

Chaya123

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:15 pm
Excellent serial! Fantastic! So we never found out who Birdie really is..oh well. But all's well that ends well. Looking forward to the next one!

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 11:34 pm
I really enjoyed reading the behind-the-scenes stuff!
I still really wanna know Birdie's real name! I feel cheated.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 1:33 pm
Please Scotty-
Who was Birdie???
We need just a little bit of background to be able to sleep at night!

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 1:34 pm
Oh- and once we're at it- when is the book of the Bavarian coming out?? I've been waiting for years. I already forgot the name of the serial Laugh

lilies

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 1:37 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Oh- and once we're at it- when is the book of the Bavarian coming out?? I've been waiting for years. I already forgot the name of the serial Laugh

Waiting for this one as well as the wedding hall manager Fish book.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 1:53 pm
Now now ladies, if Scotty won’t honor us with a name for birdie how about we do it?

Let the fun begin....

I’m afraid she was a real Bryna. To me that name rings bitter. But how pretty it is to go from Bryna to Birdie...totall changeover ! A flying bird soaring light. Cast away all the bitterness!

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 2:06 pm

Gray Lines? If that's not a book yet, it's a travesty.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 2:30 pm
I think Birdie's real name was Tziporah Faigel.... Faigel = Bird

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 1:32 pm
I'm picturing her name to be more like Raizel or Hendel.
Dont know why

suremom

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 2:00 pm
I'm picturing her name to be more like Raizel or Hendel.
Dont know why

Hendel/Hinda=birdie too. In my mind she was Hinda...

rise above

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:58 pm
Anyone else see the article this past week written under another authors name- appearing as non-fiction but really a follow up on this one??
Im confused why they keep calling her Baila- even implying as such on the matzeiva- does that mean Birdie had the same name as Beilu all along?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:18 pm
rise above wrote:
Anyone else see the article this past week written under another authors name- appearing as non-fiction but really a follow up on this one??
Im confused why they keep calling her Baila- even implying as such on the matzeiva- does that mean Birdie had the same name as Beilu all along?

Was so strange. I was so confused. I checked Table of Contents to see if it was classified as fiction... Only later did I notice that it said on the cover "Family Roots by a favorite author in disguise". Esther Tova Black translated is Etka Gitel Schwartz. But the story was so unlike her typical style.

rise above

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:48 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Was so strange. I was so confused. I checked Table of Contents to see if it was classified as fiction... Only later did I notice that it said on the cover "Family Roots by a favorite author in disguise". Esther Tova Black translated is Etka Gitel Schwartz. But the story was so unlike her typical style.

Can you tell I never read the cover ?
Wow, yes totally did not sound EGS style and I am sure many many people skipped right over the article (as I do over personal family memoirs and ancestry tracing type). I happen to have caught the word Rvorsky when I skimmed so I stopped and kind of read it backwards.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:30 pm
rise above wrote:
Can you tell I never read the cover ?
Wow, yes totally did not sound EGS style and I am sure many many people skipped right over the article (as I do over personal family memoirs and ancestry tracing type). I happen to have caught the word Rvorsky when I skimmed so I stopped and kind of read it backwards.

Lol, me too!

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 11:26 pm
Hello ladies! I was so excited when I read the story I started to scream! I had no one to share my excitement with?!
Don't you all realize what this story really was?!
Hershy is named after harry Franklin, his great great grandfather. And apparently Harry/Birdie were meshadech with Morrie! I was screaming at every mention of all the Leiby', Srul's etc..... I was so excited to have an 'epilogue' of sorts to enjoy!
Thank you EGS!!!
and yes, "Esther" "Tovah" and "Black" are the alternate names for "Etka" "Gitel" "Schwartz"....

lookingup

Post Sat, Mar 21 2020, 9:58 pm
Yes - a little late here Smile I also was going to skip but decided to start reading. Then when I got to Schneider I got more into it... I re-read the entire thing once I was done so I could figure out every last piece and it was so worth it.

It was such a nice unexpected treat and brilliant title... bayamim hahem bazman hazeh!
Page 17 of 17   Previous  1  2  3  15  16  17 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room