Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What do you think of prince Harry and Megan moving to Canada
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 11:53 pm
Meghan and Harry are simply saving their sanity by moving to Canada.

Most of us would end up on pills or dysfunctional behavior having to contend with close family on a consistent basis.

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:19 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:

Yes, there are bigger problems in the world, which is why a 5-page thread of people getting increasingly worked up over the antics of the royals seems odd to say the least.

Judging by the threads here, some people think about shaitels or jewelry or clothes or houses or vacations or decorating. I don’t. We each have our own vices, following the royal family is mine. Queen

You don’t have to approve, but you also don’t have to barge into a thread berating people for caring about something that you don’t. I don’t go into the latest shaitel thread yelling at people that they’re not healthy or normal.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:40 am
imorethanamother wrote:
I should also state that as much as I am a royal follower, I think that William and Kate are also moochers of the taxpayer, interested only in the luxuries of their pampered existence than actually making a real difference. Diana was such a breath of fresh air because her acute pain, fueled by living a life of abandonment, forced her into an empathetic role where she sought out the individuals most abandoned in our society. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, William and Kate had loving parents and have more or less a normal person's interest in charities. Meaning, it's fun to show up and smile and say "good job", but then you want to go home and hang out with your children and do fun activities.

Combine that with the fact that they only really work about 75 days a year (really. It's insane), and you have to wonder why on earth anyone supports them. So I have no personal vendetta against Harry and Meghan. I'm not a fan of any of them, with perhaps the sole exception of the Queen and Princess Anne. I don't agree with the idea that somehow all the ills befalling the royal family is Meghan's fault.

I will say, though, speaking as someone who works in the mental health field, that it's concerning that a newly married spouse would suddenly isolate her spouse from his family. From all accounts, William and Harry were always close, and in numerous biographies, while his father and him are distant in that British Royal way, they were also close as documented in numerous trips, interactions, bypassing traditional royal protocol in lieu of calling each other directly, etc. All news articles state that their decision to remove themselves from royal life was done in the absence of discussing it with any of Harry's family members. If he wanted to, he could have done so.

Harry has come out many times speaking about his poor mental health and how difficult the death of his mother was and how badly they handled it.
I watched an interview of a staffer who worked at the palace at the time of Diane's death and afterwards and she said she is embarrassed about how badly they handled the situation (no therapy, insisting they grieve in public).

He has said that photographers flashes give him PTSD and if you read different things reporters and photographers in the press corp have said it seems like meghan enjoys the spotlight and harry HATES it.

I think that harry is on the verge of a nervous breakdown and meghan is the only one with the audacity and irreverence to say "so just quit".

I don't think this is Meghan stealing away harry from the royal family. I think its meghan saying "the whole thing is stupid anyways, why let it destroy you more"

Sebastian

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:50 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Harry has come out many times speaking about his poor mental health and how difficult the death of his mother was and how badly they handled it.
I watched an interview of a staffer who worked at the palace at the time of Diane's death and afterwards and she said she is embarrassed about how badly they handled the situation (no therapy, insisting they grieve in public).

He has said that photographers flashes give him PTSD and if you read different things reporters and photographers in the press corp have said it seems like meghan enjoys the spotlight and harry HATES it.

I think that harry is on the verge of a nervous breakdown and meghan is the only one with the audacity and irreverence to say "so just quit".

I don't think this is Meghan stealing away harry from the royal family. I think its meghan saying "the whole thing is stupid anyways, why let it destroy you more"

so why is she alienating him from his family and moving him to another country? If hes struggling, new changes are the last thing he needs!

Also, you are ignoring her long long history of dumping ppl when she s done using them

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:59 am
Sebastian wrote:
so why is she alienating him from his family and moving him to another country? If hes struggling, new changes are the last thing he needs!

Also, you are ignoring her long long history of dumping ppl when she s done using them

To be fair, most people don’t stay in touch with their exes when they break up.

banana123

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:33 am
What I find most interesting about this thread (yes, I've been following it, in moments of boredom) and how every person's thoughts on this issue are reflective of her upbringing, life, and in general perspective on the world.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:42 am

(Both are about lily of the valley; the flower is poisonous, not allergenic)

bluebird

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:16 am
Something that everything seems to forgetting here is that his childhood was spent with the media covering in lurid detail the breakup up his parents marriage and then paparazzi chasing his mother in a car to her death, then FILMED HER DYING. My mother died when I was young and I have never gotten over it or made peace with it. Imagine what her children went through.

No wonder he wants out, having to deal with that then the nasty way that even common people like imamothers badmouth his wife. But go ahead, keep blaming his wife for it 100% instead of seeing them as real people with real feelings.

This thread is disgusting and you all need to learn some empathy.

Last edited by bluebird on Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:18 am
Sebastian wrote:

She is not alienating from his family. There is NO REASON why they can't remain close even if he no longer does royal engagement. They are even keeping a house 5 min walk from one of his grandmother's houses!

For them to have privacy, they need to leave tbe country
And change is what you need when the situation is what is causing the emotional distress

Fox

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:33 am
imorethanamother wrote:
First of all, their combined net worth has nothing to do with actual cash on hand. The money Meghan made as an actress is probably gone by now, with her $450,000 gown and $300,000 engagement dress, etc etc. She's worth about $6 million, but that's from all her time on Suits, and it's assuming she saved most of it. You have to spend a lot of money to look that good all the time. Harry also got some of his mother's money, but it's really uncertain how much. Maybe about $7million. In the meantime, they've both gone on some pretty pricey vacations and they have staff and personal trainers, etc.

I'm a royal follower, and what I found fascinating are the autobiographies written by Fergie and other biographies on royal members in similar positions. If you'll recall, Andrew is Prince Charles' younger brother, and he and his wife famously went into bankruptcy numerous times. Trying to keep up with the heir to the throne by sending your children to elite private (well, British call them "public) schools, buying new clothes, having hair and makeup people on staff, going on vacations, and maintaining your expensive mansions can have a deleterious effect on your cash at hand. Essentially, Andrew was given just his Navy stipend to live on per year in the beginning, which was pretty small. Which is shocking, considering who his mother is. Nowadays, he gets something like $324,000 per year. Fergie wasn't bailed out and had to shill for jobs with Weight Watchers, her autobiography, writing childrens books, and other things.

That would be the future of Harry and Meghan. They'd rely on the royal stipend of that much money, and while it seems like a lot to you and me, consider that Meghan's wardrobe alone per year costs about that much. Prince Charles gives Kate money from the Duchy of Cornwall, but he will likely give a much smaller amount to Meghan as time goes on.

If they would do as you say, which is to cut themselves off from the monarchy in order to do good deeds, unencumbered by archaic tradition and arbitrary rules, I'd cheer them on, too. But they're interested in making more money from their celebrity. You'll see. Already Meghan is doing voiceovers for Disney as a launching pad to reintroduce herself to the industry, because she always wanted to be an actress.

Who knows? Maybe they'll get decent jobs, relinquish all taxpayer funds, and do charitable good works that doesn't steal from the charities they're promoting and put it back in their own pockets. Based on their past behavior, I doubt it. They'll go around telling us not to visit other countries because it will hurt the climate, and hop on private planes to private islands. They'll tell us to feed the hungry while they pocket an appearance fee. The hypocrisy is what's off-putting.

I defer to imorethanamother in all things royal. I have no love for Meghan and echo most of the sentiments about her complete lack of finesse in advancing what are dubious goals in the first place.

But when I think about the advice I would give Harry, I would strongly recommend he forge a different path from the other minor royals.

As imorethanamother says, the "privilege" is not necessarily what we think of as privilege. Yes, their net worth and allowances may sound like a lot to us, but that's like explaining to a non-Jew why a frum family making $100K a year is not "rich."

In addition, British law prevents royals from going into a variety of industries where their status might give them an unfair advantage, such as finance. Combine that with security issues, and having a regular job is almost impossible. Prince Edward tried to start a film production company and ran into all kinds of roadblocks.

So the minor royals are stuck between a rock and a hard place, and Prince Andrew is a perfect example. His financial constraints have made him and his family susceptible to exploitation on a number of levels. Certainly that was one factor in Jeffrey Epstein's ability to compromise him: appeal to his vices while simultaneously paying for a standard of room and board that Andrew couldn't afford on his own.

Ultimately, whether Meghan is an evil temptress who sunk her claws into Harry and is now dragging him away from hearth and home or a loving wife who is simply saying, "These people are bonkers and you need to get away!" -- Harry is likely in need of more help than she can give.

Both the Mountbatten-Windsor clan and the Spencers are virtual poster children for family dysfunction and/or dubious parenting. Can you honestly think of a childhood issue these kids wouldn't have? Diana was the best of the lot, and she was hardly an emotionally stable figure herself.

But Meghan is a fool if she thinks she's going to put one over on the Queen. That lady has lived more history than Meghan ever studied. She's not going to be outmaneuvered by a little chit of an actress.

etky

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:18 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
She is not alienating from his family. There is NO REASON why they can't remain close even if he no longer does royal engagement. They are even keeping a house 5 min walk from one of his grandmother's houses!

For them to have privacy, they need to leave tbe country
And change is what you need when the situation is what is causing the emotional distress

She already has alienated him from his family - at least from Willliam and Kate, if any of the media coverage of the last year is to be believed.
And unfortunately they will never have privacy wherever they go. Not in this life.
Honestly though I don't think privacy is what they are after. Rather celebrity on their own terms and without the constraints of the code of behavior that goes with functioning as part of the royal family.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:08 am
imorethanamother wrote:
Judging by the threads here, some people think about shaitels or jewelry or clothes or houses or vacations or decorating. I don’t. We each have our own vices, following the royal family is mine. Queen

You don’t have to approve, but you also don’t have to barge into a thread berating people for caring about something that you don’t. I don’t go into the latest shaitel thread yelling at people that they’re not healthy or normal.

Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss things.
Small minds discuss people.

Gossip is ok because they're royals? Because they're not Jewish?

If the sheitels, jewelry or vacation threads were all about how cheap or trashy someone else looked then yes, people would object.

Sebastian

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:13 am
Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss things.
Small minds discuss people.

Gossip is ok because they're royals? Because they're not Jewish?

If the sheitels, jewelry or vacation threads were all about how cheap or trashy someone else looked then yes, people would object.

SO GET OFF THOS THREAD.

and for goodness sakes use your sn

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:41 am
I think Harry was the most vulnerable to finding a toxic person to connect himself to. Exactly because if his ptsd and poor mental health.

His entire family discouraged the speed of the match and he didn't listen. Generally when the entire world is watching. Going slow and deliberate is helpful.

I think he specifically met her in a time when identity politics and progressivism was coming to the forefront. And the passion of that overtook everything else.

So far every move they have made has been splashy and with zero tact. Announcing a pregnancy at a cousin's wedding. Imagine you have a wedding and your cousins decide to share their good news. The next morning oonlysimchas has a picture of them at your wedding wishing them a mazal tov and nothing about your wedding ... lol

It's hard to balance celebrity and normalcy. But they seem to be checking off the "don't do" list with a fury. That can't be good for his mental health.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:51 am
the queen has given permission for harry and meghan to move to canada

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
the queen has given permission for harry and meghan to move to canada

What would it have looked like if she said "nope" of course she gave permission. She had to.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:13 am
Fox wrote:
I defer to imorethanamother in all things royal. I have no love for Meghan and echo most of the sentiments about her complete lack of finesse in advancing what are dubious goals in the first place.

But when I think about the advice I would give Harry, I would strongly recommend he forge a different path from the other minor royals.

As imorethanamother says, the "privilege" is not necessarily what we think of as privilege. Yes, their net worth and allowances may sound like a lot to us, but that's like explaining to a non-Jew why a frum family making $100K a year is not "rich."

In addition, British law prevents royals from going into a variety of industries where their status might give them an unfair advantage, such as finance. Combine that with security issues, and having a regular job is almost impossible. Prince Edward tried to start a film production company and ran into all kinds of roadblocks.

So the minor royals are stuck between a rock and a hard place, and Prince Andrew is a perfect example. His financial constraints have made him and his family susceptible to exploitation on a number of levels. Certainly that was one factor in Jeffrey Epstein's ability to compromise him: appeal to his vices while simultaneously paying for a standard of room and board that Andrew couldn't afford on his own.

Ultimately, whether Meghan is an evil temptress who sunk her claws into Harry and is now dragging him away from hearth and home or a loving wife who is simply saying, "These people are bonkers and you need to get away!" -- Harry is likely in need of more help than she can give.

Both the Mountbatten-Windsor clan and the Spencers are virtual poster children for family dysfunction and/or dubious parenting. Can you honestly think of a childhood issue these kids wouldn't have? Diana was the best of the lot, and she was hardly an emotionally stable figure herself.

But Meghan is a fool if she thinks she's going to put one over on the Queen. That lady has lived more history than Meghan ever studied. She's not going to be outmaneuvered by a little chit of an actress.

I always love reading your analyses, Fox. I differ with you in some points, though.

Firstly, there is no British law that says that royals can't work in whichever industry they want. It's just not done, it's not the sporting thing to do, or however the upper class put it, because of the unfair advantage they might be supposed to have. Also, Andrew's daughters work full time (when they're not vacationing) and seem to be doing okay.

Secondly, I wouldn't have said that Diana was the best of the lot when it came to functionality. (I would put the Queen in that place, since she had a stable upbringing with a happy family.) Diana grew up in just as dysfunctional a family as her children. She was abandoned by her mother as a six year old child, and had a very unhappy, very unstable childhood, according to herself. She had serious mental health issues and was living very recklessly when she died. She loved her children but she was not a great role model for anything much.

pause

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:28 am
They chose to step down precisely because they did not wish to deal with judgmental, bigoted comments like yours.

And this is an issue for you because.....

Exactly what do you think Meghan and Harry owe you?

Well, first off, if you've followed my posts, you'll know that I did give her a fair chance. I wanted to like her clothes and her cute American accent. Instead, I was disappointed by the way she dressed, acted, and spoke (in interviews). She has behaved in a most un-royal manner on a number of occasions which I won't put forth here.

Harry and Meghan owe us a respectful representation of British royalty. Because that's who they are. If they choose to not be royals anymore, they shouldn't have any benefits at all associated with their titles.

pause

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:29 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
What would it have looked like if she said "nope" of course she gave permission. She had to.

She gave permission in an emergency meeting the day after the Sussexes announced their plans. How cool is that to make such a major move without consulting the queen? Putting her on the spot like that in a public manner. Uch!

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:35 am
pause wrote:
She gave permission in an emergency meeting the day after the Sussexes announced their plans. How cool is that to make such a major move without consulting the queen? Putting her on the spot like that in a public manner. Uch!

I do think that once the queen dies it's time for the monarchy to die as well. There is nothing particularly royal about the succesors. Let them cash in whatever chips they have and move on.
Page 6 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics