Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Imported meat-tough.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:57 am
Why do people say meat that is imported is tough? There is a recent thread about that, but I’ve seen it said before. I get meat that you might say is imported, but it’s not imported because I don’t live in the US. Most are soft like butter. Some I can cut with a fork, no knife needed. I’m actually in the US now and we had meat sent to my sister where I’m staying and they said the same. It was flanken in the chulent.

meme6

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:38 am
So the imported meat needs longer baking then it’s soft!

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:59 am
meme6 wrote:
So the imported meat needs longer baking then it’s soft!

I also grilled minute steak and it was soft.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 11:13 am
Isn't all kosher meat in the US imported from Uruguay?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 11:22 am
Rappel wrote:

Nope. There are a couple of very good hekshers on beef there. I actually miss them.

yonah

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 11:26 am
The first time I made frozen meat in Israel for yom tov (because frozen is a couple shek less per kilo than fresh), I cooked it for the same 3 hours I would cook a fresh or defrosted frozen brisket in the States. It tasted amazing but was tough as nails. I have since learned that meat literally needs to be cooked the whole day here.

In the States, there are several brands of meat that use US shechted cows and they were very good.

MiriFr

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 11:27 am
A lot of imported meats have been previously frozen. When you freeze meat and then defrost, most of the moisture defrosts right out of the meat.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 1:34 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Why do people say meat that is imported is tough? There is a recent thread about that, but I’ve seen it said before. I get meat that you might say is imported, but it’s not imported because I don’t live in the US. Most are soft like butter. Some I can cut with a fork, no knife needed. I’m actually in the US now and we had meat sent to my sister where I’m staying and they said the same. It was flanken in the chulent.

In Brooklyn, the beef that's advertised as imported is of the lower quality imports. The meat is pale, tough and dry. Tevya's Ranch grain finished imported beef is the exception here

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:55 am
Rappel wrote:

My dh sends from Argentina, so no.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:58 am
ra_mom wrote:
In Brooklyn, the beef that's advertised as imported is of the lower quality imports. The meat is pale, tough and dry. Tevya's Ranch grain finished imported beef is the exception here

I have a story about Tevya’s Ranch, but not going to share it, but I don’t like them, but not for their taste. I never tasted it. Birds Boro in Bingo’s meat should taste exactly the same as Tevya’s Ranch IMO. I went to bingo and saw they have different hechsherim and not marked where the meat is from, so not sure which ones though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics