Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Is my bobbin wound ok?

little neshamala

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:54 pm
Hi experienced sewing ladies!
I have not the foggiest idea what im doing! But ive decided to cut costs on alterations, and learn a bit, so I got myself a Brother cs6000i, whih I like, and some youtube tutorials, and im winding my first bobbins.

The bobbins are coming out nice and tight, but on close look theyre kind of shaped like mountains-a bit thicker on one end and thinner on the other.

I tried using one in the machine, and it sewed nice, even stitches, but the lady on youtube did say the bobbins should be wound nice and evenly...

Is it a problem to use these uneven bobbins? Can it damage my machine?

(I cant figure out whats causing it...the thread path is correct, following all the directions...)

Thanks in advance!

baltomom

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:01 pm
I'm not the biggest expert but I've been sewing for years. I don't think this should be a problem, as long as the thicker side isn't so thick that it gets stuck in the machine. Good luck with your alterations!

little neshamala

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:27 pm
Thanks!

challahchallah

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:44 pm
Seconded, I doubt this will be a problem unless so severe that the thread either gets stuck in the machine or has uneven tension causing a mismatch between your top and bottom thread. In any case, I wouldn’t worry about ruining your machine, just keep an eye on the stitches as you go in case something comes up you don’t want to have to redo more than necessary (a good idea in any project!).

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 4:24 am
Not a problem. It just means the thread paused a little longer on one side as it was winding instead of sliding up and down at constant rate, but has nothing to do with how tightly it’s wound.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 4:26 am
Thank you all so much! I really appreciate it

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 4:28 am
Immediate reaction to thread title: No, your bobbin’s not wound right, you have a screw loose, you’re one card short of a deck, one sandwich short of a picnic, your elevator doesn’t go all the way up to the top, and someone blew out your pilot light.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 4:33 am
zaq wrote:
Immediate reaction to thread title: No, your bobbin’s not wound right, you have a screw loose, you’re one card short of a deck, one sandwich short of a picnic, your elevator doesn’t go all the way up to the top, and someone blew out your pilot light.

Haaaaaaaaa im totally going to start using that as an expression lol!! Love it!

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 5:21 am
If it winds from on top and you want it even, just direct it with a finger to go more evenly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing