Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Allergy category 1
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:33 am
my son tested as mildly allergic to a few things. they called it category 1. my dr told me to ignore it. now he has mild hives. is this something he will just grow out of ?

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:34 am
Some foods yes some foods no. Usually.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:36 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Some foods yes some foods no. Usually.

would u ignore the hives? or avoid the foods.
it was milk
eggs
sesame seeds and 2 types of tree nuts.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:39 am
What did your dr say? Sometimes first reaction is mild but gets stronger as body has more exposure.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:41 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
What did your dr say? Sometimes first reaction is mild but gets stronger as body has more exposure.

he told me to ignore it

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:55 am
I would avoid them or at least consult an allergist. Didn't an allergist do the testing? What did they say?

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:00 am
ectomorph wrote:
I would avoid them or at least consult an allergist. Didn't an allergist do the testing? What did they say?

Or go for a second opinion. Avoiding foods could make the allergies stronger.

nchr

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:02 am
I'd first find out which foods give him the hives because hives can be very irritating. I'd also ask if you can put him on Zyrtec.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:09 am
Hives cannot be ignored. You need benadryl right away because it can escalate fast & cause difficulty breathing if it's on face, chest or neck

octopus

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:33 am
blood tests are notoriously inaccurate. Skin tests can be also. The best test is actually ingesting food. If child is getting hives, speak to an allergist and avoid the food until you speak to allergist. If it's a mild reaction they may say to give. Take a pic of the reaction to show allergist.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:33 am
octopus wrote:
blood tests are notoriously inaccurate. Skin tests can be also. The best test is actually ingesting food. If child is getting hives, speak to an allergist and avoid the food until you speak to allergist. If it's a mild reaction they may say to give. Take a pic of the reaction to show allergist.

it was a blood test at my pediatrician.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
it was a blood test at my pediatrician.

and its very mild. almost looks like dry skin

octopus

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:35 am
level 1 is basically nothing. A level 1 can be eczema. Which it sounds like it is for your baby. No allergist would tell you to avoid the food.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:49 am
octopus wrote:
level 1 is basically nothing. A level 1 can be eczema. Which it sounds like it is for your baby. No allergist would tell you to avoid the food.

thank you for that reassurance! I spoke to my pediatrician in detail and he said its basically nothing but the nervous mom in me worries, with all the allergy hype out there. honestly I think its a mild reaction or dry skin from the winter. im just feeling guilty not going crazy about it lol

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:49 am
he does seem itchy but that can be from dry skin no?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:03 am
Hives don't look anything like dry skin. Are you sure it's hives?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:57 am
slightly red patches of skin on 2 or 3 places on his face and back neck.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It could just be bad winter skin. My baby had dry scaly skin on face. It was just dry winter skin and drooling. It’s normal for babies to have dry skin matches. Everyone drove me nuts about allergies.

keym

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Is it just red? Or bumpy? Hot to touch?
Because what you're describing sounds like excema. Likely related to allergies, but not highly concerning. Most doctors would say not to avoid the foods, unless the kid seems uncomfortable or the symptoms worsen.

Hives look like a red patchy area. But looking closely, it's bunches of welts close together similar to mosquito bites but warm to the touch. Hives can worsen or spread and often require Benadryl.

I would speak to the pediatrician. And if the answers are not clear and definitive, I would go to an allergist. Many pediatricians don't know much about the details of allergies.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:47 pm
My son has that too. Will sometimes break out after eating and then it disappears after half an hour. I never knew there were levels of allergies. I'm in the process of getting him tested. I wonder though if he just breaks out on his skin, does that mean it doesn't bother him internally? I wish my baby could talk!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics