Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Would you trust a therapist for your child that looks young?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:42 am
I am a pediatric therapist. I am 28 years old. I look very young and many people assume I'm 20 years old and I just got married. I feel like people are more hesitant to trust me because I appear younger. What are your thoughts as a parent?

thriver

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:46 am
If you have a good reputation, age and definitely looking youthful should not matter. Just be you and be the best you that you can!

The more self conscious you are, the more it’ll be picked up and you’ll be doubted. If you have an aura of self-confidence, your patience and their parents won’t blink.

almostlettinggo

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:48 am
Hi! I actually sent my kid to a younf therapist/social worker for behavioral issues. At first I was hesitant, but my theory was that maybe she'll apply herself better because she is new and will be open to more approaches because she wants to succeed in her new expertise.
Hatzlocha! Keep your head held high you're playing an important part in many children's lives. Have a great day 😄

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:49 am
Yes, I would have a hard time trusting a therapist without a significant amount of experience.

That said I’m sure you’ll find clients who won’t have an issue with it!

Hatzlacha

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:51 am
I am finding that the younger therapist my son is now working with is more motivated & comes up with better ideas to keep him engaged than the older one with many years experience (who seemed a bit burnt out).

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:52 am
For me, it's not what I think, but who DD wants to work with. Age doesn't matter to me, but it does to her.

My 16yo DD much prefers her younger therapist, because she feels like they can relate more. Someone closer in age understands today's societal pressures, pop culture references, and general stress.

Someone a generation or two older doesn't feel like they "get it" as much.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:00 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
I am finding that the younger therapist my son is now working with is more motivated & comes up with better ideas to keep him engaged than the older one with many years experience (who seemed a bit burnt out).

Yes!!!!

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:01 am
Using a very young therapist for myself. If you’re confident, age falls away

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:29 am
Thank you everyone for your support. This will give me more confidence. Smile

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you everyone for your support. This will give me more confidence. Smile

Go girl! If your heart is in the right place your clients and moms are lucky to have you in their life

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:37 am
I would trust you. I wouldn't have you work with my adolescent son. I have no problem with an adolescent girl.

My HS daughter's therapist looks very much like her. They could be bookends. It seemed to create an instant bond.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:40 am
I have been going to therapits for five years at a clinic each year I get a new student
only one year I thought the therpaist was imature
when I had my daughter the hospital was a teachng one einstein the doctor looked to young and I said get me another doctor

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:40 am
You know that you're 28 years old, not 20.
It's more about what you think about yourself that what they do.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:11 am
Having dealt with a lot of therapists for my child- I would recommend taking as much training as you can in different areas regarding your specialty. That will make you more knowledgeable and it will come through in your dealings with clients. Also- if you could specialize in a specific area in your field that would be a great draw for parents.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:35 am
Its really not how you look. Its how you come across. If you speak knowledgeably and clearly about your work, you will be respected.

My daughter's teacher this year is very young. Every other word is "like" y'knowhatahmsayin'" "so you know" and I find her to be a complete idiot. How on earth she got a job is beyond me.

FWIW, my son's speech therapist last year was your age, 28. I thought she was absolutely brilliant. Knew her stuff, smart, able to explain to parents, knew how to establish trust with my son, knew when to pull back and just play a game when he wasn't cooperative, had great instincts for when to challenge him just a bit more, was always well-prepared with new activities to work on something new or from a different angle. Just do a good job!

yonabets

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:44 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:

So true!!!

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:00 pm
I think everyone would assume your at least 25 to be a licensed therapist so I wouldn't worry so much. I would trust someone who looks young but I would definitely ask how many years experience they have before using .

Zehava

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:46 pm
The only competent therapist I’ve ever seen is young, about 30ish. The boomer generation has been absolutely awful IME. So if you’re young I’d assume you’re going with 21st century research.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:48 pm
I might not feel comfortable with having you as a therapist for myself but for my kid? if you have a job and are qualified and are a good match for my child who cares how you look.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics