Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
How can I make sure this never happens again???

oakandfig19

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:24 am
I had a horrible experience last night.

I prepared turkey soup in my crockpot from leftover cooked frozen turkey bones and leftover cooked frozen shredded turkey. The only other ingredients were carrots and celery.

My husband and I were halfway through our bowls of soup when I noticed tiny maggots floating in my bowl- and then my husband noticed one in his.

I’m totally confused how this happened, and it’s the next day and I’m still nauseated and feel like I never want to eat poultry again. The bones and turkey had been frozen after I cooked them, and the shredded turkey was reheated in the microwave (it had been defrosted a couple of times though).

Both the crockpot, which only had turkey bones, and the separate container of shredded turkey, had teeny tiny maggots upon close investigation after I noticed them in my soup.

How.in.the.world. Did this happen? Has anyone else had this happen? It just freaks me out that I have no idea how it could have been prevented. Except for closely examining all meat and poultry in the future which I never thought I’d have to do!

Last edited by oakandfig19 on Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:25 am
It never happened to me. Did you have the turkey out on your counter for while before you froze it?

oakandfig19

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:26 am
I did have it out for a bit, which I’m thinking is the most likely culprit...but then the eggs would have had to have hatched, can they hatch while frozen?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:37 am
oakandfig19 wrote:
I did have it out for a bit, which I’m thinking is the most likely culprit...but then the eggs would have had to have hatched, can they hatch while frozen?

Fly eggs can hibernate while frozen, and will hatch as soon as they start to warm up. I'm so sorry you had such an incredibly gross experience. Just be grateful you didn't get a bad case of food poisoning on top of it.

From now on, leftovers go straight into the freezer, do not leave out for a minute longer than you have to. Only defrost once. If it defrosts and you don't end up using it that day, then toss it out.

I'm all for saving leftovers, and I'm not super germ phobic, but with poultry you can't be too careful. https://www.nationalchickencou.....ltry/

oakandfig19

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:44 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Fly eggs can hibernate while frozen, and will hatch as soon as they start to warm up. I'm so sorry you had such an incredibly gross experience. Just be grateful you didn't get a bad case of food poisoning on top of it.

From now on, leftovers go straight into the freezer, do not leave out for a minute longer than you have to. Only defrost once. If it defrosts and you don't end up using it that day, then toss it out.

I'm all for saving leftovers, and I'm not super germ phobic, but with poultry you can't be too careful. https://www.nationalchickencou.....ltry/

Thank you, this is exactly the type of advice I was hoping to get. I’ve been married not so long, 3 years, so I guess its a reminder I still have things to learn Smile

jsb

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:08 am
oakandfig19 wrote:

I prepared turkey soup in my crockpot from leftover frozen turkey bones and leftover frozen shredded turkey. The only other ingredients were carrots and celery.

My husband and I were halfway through our bowls of soup when I noticed tiny maggots floating in my bowl- and then my husband noticed one in his.

I’m totally confused how this happened, and it’s the next day and I’m still nauseated and feel like I never want to eat poultry again. The bones and turkey had been frozen, and the shredded turkey was reheated in the microwave (it had been defrosted a couple of times though).

Both the crockpot, which only had turkey bones, and the separate container of shredded turkey, had teeny tiny maggots upon close investigation after I noticed them in my soup.

How.in.the.world. Did this happen? Has anyone else had this happen? It just freaks me out that I have no idea how it could have been prevented. Except for closely examining all meat and poultry in the future which I never thought I’d have to do!

I am so sorry that happened to you!!!!! I would be so horrified!!! I remember when I was a little kid we had that happen to our chicken soup at our seudas hamafsekes erev YK. My father (who got served soup first) said to my mother “oh wow you put noodles in the soup!” She said “no I didn’t!” Turns out they were maggots. I was very thankful that I hadn’t gotten my soup yet! If I recall correctly the source was from an old spice bottle. Check your spices! I hope you figure it out and are able to never have that experience again and still be able to eat chicken/turkey, soup etc again!

trixx

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:15 am
oakandfig19 wrote:

I prepared turkey soup in my crockpot from leftover frozen turkey bones and leftover frozen shredded turkey. The only other ingredients were carrots and celery.

I’m totally confused how this happened, and it’s the next day and I’m still nauseated and feel like I never want to eat poultry again. The bones and turkey had been frozen, and the shredded turkey was reheated in the microwave (it had been defrosted a couple of times though).

What does this mean? Raw meat can be put into the freezer exactly once. To defrost, put it into the fridge or bowl of cold water. Keep in the fridge max a few days.

(the life starts from when you bought it. Let's say chicken is good 3 days in the fridge. If you freeze the second you buy it you can keep in the fridge for about 3 days - actually bonus tip the juices make it go bad so best to clean right away)

Toss if you don't use.
If you know you won't get around to using cook immediately upon defrosting and then freeze the cooked dish.

oakandfig19

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:11 pm
trixx wrote:
What does this mean? Raw meat can be put into the freezer exactly once. To defrost, put it into the fridge or bowl of cold water. Keep in the fridge max a few days.

(the life starts from when you bought it. Let's say chicken is good 3 days in the fridge. If you freeze the second you buy it you can keep in the fridge for about 3 days - actually bonus tip the juices make it go bad so best to clean right away)

Toss if you don't use.
If you know you won't get around to using cook immediately upon defrosting and then freeze the cooked dish.

After it was cooked, I froze it and defrosted in microwave. Then leftovers form that were frozen. Then that was reheated in microwave.

I don’t think the turkey had gone bad, it tasted fine and bli ayin hara my husband and I are feeling fine. It’s just that at some point along the way a fly laid eggs in it.

tweety1

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:16 pm
Plz make a "tmi" warning in your title.

lavenderchimes

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:39 pm
B"H I ate lunch before I read this, lol! In addition to the great info you have gotten, I have learned the hard way: never leave meat out uncovered. If the flies get to it, it will put you off your food for days. Sometimes, you have to leave things out to cool before putting away, but COVER IT UP!

BadTichelDay

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:57 pm
Don't want to sound preachy, but... even if it was cooked before freezing - repeatedly defrosting and then refreezing any food is not safe practice. It's a food poisoning waiting to happen, eventually. If fly eggs could hatch in it, bacteria can breed and multiply in there as well. It's a question of time until you get the "wrong" kind. Freezing should be a one-time thing. Only exception: if something was frozen raw, it can be taken out, be fully cooked and then refrozen - once. And spoilable food needs to be covered fly proof when on the counter, even if there is no fly in sight at that very moment.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey