Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How much is this used gown worth?
Previous  1  2

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 1:35 pm
My sister's friend had a beautiful gown custom made for her brother's wedding. I have no idea what she paid for it, but I would assume it was not cheap. It's nicely made, good fabric, etc....

They sold it to me for $75. I think they just wanted to get rid of it. It was in perfect condition (I think they said she wore it twice - to two weddings.)

I'm pretty sure if I tried to sell it now I could probably get my money back, but I'm keeping it for now..it's a classic style, and I may yet get more use of it for my younger DD.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:14 am
if this is the case why are rentals so expensive?
Could be to buy second hand depends how detailed it is and price will vary by location

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:19 am
Chayalle wrote:
My sister's friend had a beautiful gown custom made for her brother's wedding. I have no idea what she paid for it, but I would assume it was not cheap. It's nicely made, good fabric, etc....

They sold it to me for $75. I think they just wanted to get rid of it. It was in perfect condition (I think they said she wore it twice - to two weddings.)

I'm pretty sure if I tried to sell it now I could probably get my money back, but I'm keeping it for now..it's a classic style, and I may yet get more use of it for my younger DD.

how do rentals justify their price. even if they press

in lakewood augenbraun is over $350 they charge separate for alteration how do they justify the price? surely steaming is not so expensive
these rentals should come down in price

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:52 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
how do rentals justify their price. even if they press

in lakewood augenbraun is over $350 they charge separate for alteration how do they justify the price? surely steaming is not so expensive
these rentals should come down in price

Because its a business to make money.
Its not a chessed it is there to make money.

She charges as much as she thinks she can get and since she does well then the market clearly agrees.

Its not a gemach- she doesn't have to justify her prices

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:03 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
if this is the case why are rentals so expensive?
Could be to buy second hand depends how detailed it is and price will vary by location

They are not looking to just cover the cost of the gown, plus associated costs like cleaning/alterations, etc...., like a Gemach...they are looking to make a profit - as much as possible per gown. It's a business.

Some people try to do the G'mach concept themselves. I know someone who bought gowns for each of her daughters for an uncle's wedding, with the intent to make her money back by selling. This did not work out though, and the gowns are still sitting in her closet. It's really a risk. That's why sometimes you can buy a 2nd hand gown cheap, like I did....they just wanted to sell and be done with it.

tweety1

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:09 am
A neighbor of mine bought a used gown for $500. She was boasting that she put it up for sale for $500. I tried discouraging her from doing it. "I'm allowed to ask whatever I want and if somebody wants to pay for sure why not ask". I wanted to tell her "moron". You paid 500 for a used gown how can u even think of asking for the same price when she herself wore it 2x?!?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics