Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Social work private practice in Williamsburg

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:36 am
Please only post if you live in Williamsburg.
Let's say you know of a good social worker who you want to see.
Would you rather see a social worker in the center of Williamsburg even if others might pick up that you're going to see a social worker, at the outskirts or if you'd have to go about 5 blocks into the non jewish neighborhood?
What if the office is in the heart of Williamsburg but part of an office building, like a medical center or office building?

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:55 am
I wouldnt have a problem if ppl see me seeing a therapist.
ive been seeing someone in Pesach Tikvah for years. So what if other ppl who enter pesach tikvah for other reasons (if they have a special needs child and are working with the com hab dept, or ppl working in the childrens program) see me? Big deal.
quite the opposite, if it's in a mixed office building ppl will have no idea whom youre going to.
Just go to the person you feel you click with and will make progress with.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:11 am
Doesn't matter if it's in the heart of Williamsburg or not, but as long as it's extremely discreet, meaning no sign anywhere to allude as to what's in there, then that should be fine. A big office building with a lot of offices is a great idea in my opinion, because if someone goes in there it doesn't mean they're going to a social worker; they can be going to any number of offices. Again, as long as the building directory and office door does not have details about what this office is for then I'd be fine going...

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:09 am
ODA used to have their social dept in basement on Heyward. I have gone there weekly for almost two years. If I entered bldg anyone who saw me might assume I will be seeing any doctor there & whoever saw me downstairs was there for same reason, but anyways usually there wasn't any waiting in waiting room downstairs. If anyone would ask me I would say I am consulting about an issue with a child... like night fears.... ( its true, because first I took my child for that reason & that's how I got in there to help us with other stuff) nobody had to know that I am there to work on my shalom bayis...

My therapist gave parenting lessons right after my session, so I joined the class, if they saw me walking with her to waiting area, where she gave the class, then people assumed that I might've come earlier to discuss something privately before class, what we learned in the parenting class or consult with her about one of my students etc...They thought like we are friends in helping field....

Eta: even if someone saw me in elevator going to bsmt...they had other dept there too like speech therapist and other specialty doctors that came on occasion there.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:11 am
I'm in willi and I also go to pesach tikvah but I don't feel super comfortable being seen. A big office building like the apple building at 2 skillman or the one at 146 Spencer I would feel much more comfortable going into weekly.
Personally I have no problem walking a few blocks (or more) out of Williamsburg and do it quite often but most people I know freak out. if it's one block past the jewish section they won't walk there.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:31 am
if your issue is the safety of walking out of willy, take the city bus or an uber.
are there frum therapists there?
Btw consider yourselves lucky, my Pesach Tikvah therapist no longer practices in Willy and I have to shlep to Boro Park. What a pain. It kills my Wednesdays.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries