Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How to dispose of leaky leftovers after bag ban?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 11:23 pm
Ugh I use plastic bags for so many things that won't work with cloth or paper bags. Vomiting in the car, or when someone is sick at home & can't get to toilet, for diapers, wet/dirty clothes till they're washed, bringing home leaky chicken or meat packages from the store (or while being defrosted in the fridge so they don't drip all over everything else) etc etc.

violet1

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 11:23 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
THe ban makes zero sense! How am I supposed to take *anything* with me outdoors? I'm not going to start toting around big brown paper bags. I need bags that I can tie closed, like a shopping bag. So the grocery store won't give me shopping bags, I'll just use whatever I saved up.
I can't lug home multiple bags from the grocery store, butcher store, fish store, toy store, hardware store, pharmacy, etc etc etc in bulky paper bags.
We do errands on foot in my neighborhood, not with a car. I can't lug around big paper bags.

I'm not sure if you're just venting or actually looking for solutions. But there are all shapes and sizes of cloth bags or strong reusable plastic that are very lightweight and fold small so you can a keep a couple in your purse. And when you know you are going shopping you take more.
You're right, paper bags really aren't practical your lifestyle but there are other options. Sorry if you were just looking to vent...

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 11:39 pm
violet1 wrote:
I'm not sure if you're just venting or actually looking for solutions. But there are all shapes and sizes of cloth bags or strong reusable plastic that are very lightweight and fold small so you can a keep a couple in your purse. And when you know you are going shopping you take more.
You're right, paper bags really aren't practical your lifestyle but there are other options. Sorry if you were just looking to vent...

These reusable bags end up using more resources. These have to be frequently washed, especially if used for food. So a run in the washing machine uses electricity, gas (hot water) & water. Paper bags uses more resources to be produced than plastic bags.

These wonderful ideas are nothing more than feel good ploys. Just like these wind turbines. They kill thousands upon thousands of birds and bats per year, create noise pollution, efficacy still in question, but what does that matter. It warms the heart, so lets drop the brain.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 11:51 pm
CT has been doing this for awhile already. You can still get shopping bags but you have to pay for them.

Aldi's has always charged for bags so people who buy them, reuse them.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:13 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
These reusable bags end up using more resources. These have to be frequently washed, especially if used for food. So a run in the washing machine uses electricity, gas (hot water) & water. Paper bags uses more resources to be produced than plastic bags.

These wonderful ideas are nothing more than feel good ploys. Just like these wind turbines. They kill thousands upon thousands of birds and bats per year, create noise pollution, efficacy still in question, but what does that matter. It warms the heart, so lets drop the brain.

Fully agree. Plastic bags, straws, whatever, get into these huge kerfuffles over some sound bites... the real reason most of these stuffed suits can do without plastic bags is because they are getting most of their goods delivered to their door by Amazon et al, in recyclable cardboard boxes (that are at best only partly made of post-consumer waste, and will take more resources to recycle) with loads of (occasionally biodegradable) plastic bubbles and wrappings, delivered by (someday electric?) trucks on the backs of countless workers who aren't being treated great but are relatively happy to have their jobs until the machines (recyclable and energy efficient maybe?) catch up. At which point, if they end up in the street, they will have to find something other than plastic bags to keep their feet warm.

I'm a fan of reusable bags in general and I see that they are capable of catching on by culture alone (I frequent Trader Joe's. Reusable bags are the "in" thing.) I like being able to choose when to reuse and when to go for other values (such as "I didn't bring a bag with me because I just remembered on the spur of the moment that I need more groceries, and I already own enough reusable bags and don't want to buy another one, and I could use more "free bathroom trash liners" anyway.) I find it irritating that our tax dollars and lawmakers are tied up with these things ad nauseum when there are actual issues in the world.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:45 am
We have had shopping bags cost 10 agurot a bag for a while now (maybe two years) and I always just buy the bags.
OP, is that not an option? Why not stock pile bags now, when they are still there. Yes, paying for them is annoying, but I do that so that we have bags.

Also, throwing out leftovers - take the solids and put them into the garbage and then flush the liquids down the toilet.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 4:17 am
So annoyed at the bag ban. Who enjoys shlepping bags with them. As if we don't have enough to shlep. My mental list of things I need before I leave the house has always been: keys, wallet, phone, kids. Um, bags now? What a pain. I dont shlep a purse I hate that feeling of something hanging on me. Shopping bags I use as mini garbage can liners, throw up catchers for car rides, sealing dirty diapers, bringing food and supplies to parks and other trips, kids use them to bring stuff to school especially in the rain, swimming bags, also for liquidy leftovers in the garbage can. I get groceries delivered every week and items with potential leaks come in tied shopping bags, in the boxes. (What's this about rich people getting their groceries delivered? Our politicians arent spending $350/week on groceries, they just eat out.) Shopping bags get reused. I'll have to buy a case which is more wasteful because then theyll get used only once.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 5:04 am
Reusable bags have been heavily taxed where I live for many years. I just have lots of reusable ones and always take one with me when I go shopping. You can also get shopping bags made of a thin silky material that fold up really small and you can fit a bunch of those in your handbag easily. If I forget to bring a shopping bag I buy another reusable one.

The best thing about the ban imo is that when I get my groceries delivered it no longer comes in bags so less shopping to unpack! The delivery guy empties the shopping right onto my counter.

Teomima

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:44 am
I know it seems daunting but they've been discouraging the use of plastic bags here in Israel for years now, and the stores don't even carry paper.

Reusable bags are small, lightweight, they really don't get dirty much and if they do, they're easy enough to wipe off with a damp cloth. I keep them in my purse and in my car. It's just a new mentality but once you get used to it, it's really no big deal.

As for your question, op, just drain the liquid down the sink and toss (or better yet, compost) the rest.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:05 am
Mama Bear wrote:
THe ban makes zero sense! How am I supposed to take *anything* with me outdoors? I'm not going to start toting around big brown paper bags. I need bags that I can tie closed, like a shopping bag. So the grocery store won't give me shopping bags, I'll just use whatever I saved up.
I can't lug home multiple bags from the grocery store, butcher store, fish store, toy store, hardware store, pharmacy, etc etc etc in bulky paper bags.
We do errands on foot in my neighborhood, not with a car. I can't lug around big paper bags.

Come off it. You don’t have to use paper bags and the idea of the 5 cent tax on those is to get people to stop using disposable bags altogether and switch to multiple-use ones. You’re shlepping home groceries on the way back, what’s the big deal bringing empty bags with you on the way there? Buy or make some fabric bags and tote them around with you the way you might keep a bunch of tissues or folding umbrella in your purse.

For big grocery runs, buy a bubby cart with a liner or buy or make a big fabric sack like a laundry sack to line it. In Israel for years stores didn’t provide sacks and people toted plastic baskets and string net bags for their groceries. Sure, it’s less convenient than getting bags free, but it’s totally doable. It’s just a matter of getting used to it.

The big issue is what are people going to use for trash? Most ppl I know reuse the grocery bags for trash. To spend money on trash bags that haven’t been used for anything else even once outrages every environmentally responsible and frugal bone in my body.

I’m hoarding grocery bags now but there’s a limit to how many I can collect. They won’t last long . I’ll have to beg them from friends and family living in New Jersey, who for reasons I can’t fathom buy trash bags.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:06 am
Groceries used to be packed in paper bags that required the destruction of trees. The inventor of the plastic shopping bag intended for them to be reused for other shopping trips.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:24 am
People adjust - most municipalities and countries ban FREE plastic bags. As others have posted, it's not a big deal. The reusable ones sold at stores for $1.00 or so function very well. There are more expensive ones - some insulated - that are sturdier. In my experience, the majority of groceries don't even have the potential to leak - stores still provide very small plastic bags to wrap meat and produce.

And statistically most of the plastic bags given out are THROWN OUT almost immediately because they aren't functional or necessary in the quantities that were being used. Kitchen trash containers - which most people use - need to be lined with much larger bags so I have no idea how plastic bags are being used. At least a large grocery paper bag can be opened to stand on its own - when I was growing up those would be used for garbage after being lined with the newspaper.

But that was before almost everybody had either freestanding kitchen garbage containers or had them installed in a lower cabinet that rolled out - these need to be lined with the large plastic.

So it's not apples to apples at all.

And I am still not understanding how it is a hardship to carry home items in a reusable bag? How does that impact the ability to carry multiple bags home without a car. In my experience, the reusable bags can be slung over the shoulder so in a pinch one can carry more bags at the same time.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:42 am
When Amazon started free shipping to Israel on certain items, I bought a bunch of reusable ziplock type bags in different sizes, and mesh produce bags in different sizes.

When I went to the grocery store and bought a bunch of things from the bins, I used the zip locks. The guy who tagged the items for the cashier to scan flipped out! He said something in Hebrew about "giveret... shomeret.. ha aretz..!" He called his co worker over, and then they called over the department manager. They all stood and wondered at me and my reusable bags. Someone said something about "tzaddekis". I seriously thought for a minute that they were going to break out in song and dance!

I thought this was a one time deal, but it happened again at the spice store 3 blocks away. Then at another store, I got massive praise for my produce bags.

If you are looking for a shidduch, I suggest you go to Israel and bring reusable bags. Everyone will be attracted to your obviously amazing middot and respect for the Land. No promises, but they might even have a parade in your honor. LOL

(Everyone in Israel uses something like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cos.....75041 . I put a reusable shopping bag in it as a liner, and carry all of my little bags inside. I keep them all together so I don't forget anything when I head to the store.)

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:46 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Come off it. You don’t have to use paper bags and the idea of the 5 cent tax on those is to get people to stop using disposable bags altogether and switch to multiple-use ones. You’re shlepping home groceries on the way back, what’s the big deal bringing empty bags with you on the way there? Buy or make some fabric bags and tote them around with you the way you might keep a bunch of tissues or folding umbrella in your purse.

For big grocery runs, buy a bubby cart with a liner or buy or make a big fabric sack like a laundry sack to line it. In Israel for years stores didn’t provide sacks and people toted plastic baskets and string net bags for their groceries. Sure, it’s less convenient than getting bags free, but it’s totally doable. It’s just a matter of getting used to it.

The big issue is what are people going to use for trash? Most ppl I know reuse the grocery bags for trash. To spend money on trash bags that haven’t been used for anything else even once outrages every environmentally responsible and frugal bone in my body.

I’m hoarding grocery bags now but there’s a limit to how many I can collect. They won’t last long . I’ll have to beg them from friends and family living in New Jersey, who for reasons I can’t fathom buy trash bags.

I dont have a problem paying money for the bags. I thought there werent gonna be any bags at the stores anymore. money isnt the issue.

and no, I can't always remember to bring bags from home with me.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:04 am
I wanna see the government make the same crackdown on anti semitism then they're doing on plastic. It seems like they have their focus in the wrong place. First take care of the important stuff- the safety of the people - then you can take care of the less important stuff - the environment and animals.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:33 am
Mama bear can't wait to see you around the neighborhood with your bobitcka shopping cart wheelie! Ha! Ha!

Last edited by dankbar on Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:36 am
When I was in Israel & visited my grandma, it was raining, so we asked her for a shopping bag to cover my husband's hat & my wig....she asked me that I return the shopping bag to her when finished using...thank you very much....

Apparently it was such a treasure there because it cost money.....or you had to bring your own bag to makolet...

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:39 am
Insanity that everyone should start pushing bubby carts. Because plastic bags are more important than people.

Or maybe we should all just drive instead of walking. Because buying gas, pollution from cars, congested traffic, no parking spots, are all better quality of life than using plastic bags.

Teomima

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:05 pm
My goodness! Everyone is really overreacting! Trust me, it's really not that hard to get used to life without (or with limited) plastic bags. I know it seems unimaginable now, but honestly it's really no big deal.

As for the environment, how can people dismiss it so easily? No, getting rid of plastic bags won't end global warming. But it's a small step in the right direction. Take a little extra time and do something good for this beautiful home hashem gave us.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 12:10 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Insanity that everyone should start pushing bubby carts. Because plastic bags are more important than people.

Or maybe we should all just drive instead of walking. Because buying gas, pollution from cars, congested traffic, no parking spots, are all better quality of life than using plastic bags.

I'm utterly confused.

What's wrong with shopping carts?

Why is it easier to carry single-use plastic bags than reusable bags (which usually have shoulder handles?

Why is it possible to walk home carrying disposable plastic bags, but not with reusable bags?
Page 2 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics