Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How long did your son's* bar mitzvah tefillin last?
1  2  Next

meyerlemon44

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:37 pm
I'm curious: how much did you spend on your son's tefillin, what sort were they (gasos, dakkos, etc) and how long did they last? A friend and I were talking about this so I'm curious.
*info about husband's tefillin is also welcome

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:38 pm
my mothe in law paid so I dont know how much
he is 30 now and does not wear them alot so they lasted

baby12x

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:00 pm
My husband is 30.
He has worn his tefillin (basically) every day bh since he is bar mitzvah
I don't know how much they cost but I do know they weren't "top of the line"

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:01 pm
Paid $3k for son's Tefillin. I don't expect to ever have to replace them, although we try to get them checked each year, and will repair them as necessary.

DH has his for well over 20 years (daily use).

I always thought Tefillin are supposed to last a lifetime? That's why I felt comfortable investing in them.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:03 pm
My son is turning 16 and unfortunately lost his teffilin this summer on a trip home from camp. So now he’s on his second pair . We paid 1800$

meyerlemon44

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:09 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:

I always thought Tefillin are supposed to last a lifetime? That's why I felt comfortable investing in them.

It depends on the quality, but I'm sure $3K tefillin will. From what I understand that's the price for very good quality.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:13 pm
Still a few years away from making a bar mitzvah, but I can tell you about my husband's. His parents paid $3k. They lasted until he was about 30, and I assume they would still be fine now if he still had them, but they were destroyed in a flood Crying When he brought them to the sofer to assess them for the insurance claim, the sofer literally cried to see such a beautiful pair destroyed, they apparently really were extra super duper mehudar.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:17 pm
As far as I know teffilin should last forever. DH has not replaced his
We bought on the mid-high end. My DH took them around to get checked by a few ppl. Before we settled on a specific one. He felt strongly this is something you have for life and it should be nice.
We have friends who had theirs checked at 40 and found out it wasn’t the nicest handwriting so he decided to replace now. This partially inspired us to spend more now.
When our rav saw our options he commented there was a huge difference between the lower to mid range. Once you went very high the differences were too many chumras.
But we did pay extra for a nicer and cleaner handwriting. Our rav advised us to get a level less then we got and said it was just as mehuder but we could afford it so spent the extra. I felt I’d rather spend on teffilin then extras at a party.
3k really is top of the line. We didn’t pay that much.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:21 pm
DH is in his upper 40s and has never replaced his tefilin. No idea what his parents paid 30+ years ago. As far as I know, my brother in his early 40s has never replaced his either.
My oldest is 20, still using his Bar Mitzvah tefilin.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:22 pm
I never heard of anyone needing to buy a 2nd pair of tefillin in his lifetime, unless he loses it. I thnk tefillin are meant to last .

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:25 pm
Forever. To insure against loss, sew a label with your sons name and (your) phone number on the tefillin bag.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:29 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I never heard of anyone needing to buy a 2nd pair of tefillin in his lifetime, unless he loses it. I thnk tefillin are meant to last .

My husband had to. And so did his father (a"h). The leather wears out.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:30 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
My husband had to. And so did his father (a"h). The leather wears out.
My husband has replaced the straps once or twice over the years. Thats not more than $80 each.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:30 pm
Husband is using his for his 13th year now. Doesn't plan to ever have to replace.
My father replaced his about 20 years after he got his, as he became more frum and realized his original tefillin may not be as kosher as he thought.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:38 pm
My husband had to replace his BM tfillin when he became frum and has his checked and saw that the writing was literally chicken scratch. Like I said upthread, he has since had to replace the straps once or twice over the 13 years we have been married - about $80. NBD.

We have bought for 3 sons so far. You have to know your son before you spend. You have to know where they are holding in life. One of my stepsons loses everything. Including his $600 pair of tfillin. The other had no interest in wearing his $700 pair. He came around and wears them every now and then at this point. My other also got a pair around $800 and he wears them every day. We asked our rav for each child and he said not to spend for mehudar based on our financial situation. They have to be kosher, etc. Its the kavanah that the person wearing puts into it... thats what makes it mehudar.

thriver

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:00 pm
My husband ordered a pair for our son who is eleven directly from an Israeli sofer. It will be ready in time for his Bar Mitzva. My husband is very happy with the sofer he chose and said it was much cheaper this way than buying it through a middle man. And more mehudar than what you’d typically find available in a store in the US.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:15 pm
My husband is 40 and is still wearing his bar mitzvah tefillin.

We have a relative who is a sofer, so we paid a family discount for good tefillin. We paid $1,000 for each of my boys' tefillin. One is wearing it almost 4 years and one 2 years.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:37 pm
I expect them to last forever. My husband is still wearing his.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 2:03 pm
dont assume that they'll last forever but a better pair def has a better chance, there are a lot of things to check when giving them in for sofer to see, there's the actual writing (sometimes letters get erased) I think the boxes have to be perfectly square etc etc. get educated when buying, ask the sofer about all the options and make sure he is honest and wants to help you get the best for your money.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 10:07 pm
Or you can be like someone I know. Had expensive, inherited tefilin. Had them checked then, the sofer was so impressed he offered to buy them but the family refused. This Bochur wore them daily since his Bar Mitzvah. Well, when he got it checked years later it ends up that original sofer had stolen them! Replaced it with random klafs that didn't match, wrong nussach and was totally Pasul. Not even a shaila... He had to make shehechiyanu when he bought a new pair as he may never had actually worn kosher tefilin even though he wore it for years!b Surprised

I don't want to see that rashas punishment. All those brachos for no reason, missed Mitzvos. All on him...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics