Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Help! Need laundry advice

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:28 am
My laundry is getting out of hand. Small apartment, lots of people bh. No laundry room. Thank G-d I have a washing machine. But it's small, so I need to constantly be washing laundry to keep up. But I don't have time to fold every day, so I end up with baskets of clean laundry all over the place.

I'm open to ideas!

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:34 am
Sort the laundry in baskets. Every family member gets it's own basket and all their laundry goes in there. They can choose to fold it and put it away, or keep it in the basket.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:05 am
I find it easier to fold the load immediately after it comes out of the dryer. Once it piles up it becomes much much harder.

Fabulous

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:08 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
I find it easier to fold the load immediately after it comes out of the dryer. Once it piles up it becomes much much harder.

This. I don’t take a load out of the dryer unless I have time to fold it. Should take long, if it’s small loads. My bigger problem is the miscellaneous delicates that I hang to dry (which is a lot)

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:18 pm
Stack, don’t fold if you can. Underwear, baby clothes, socks are all small enough to stack in a drawer or right in the laundry basket. Try rolling things like linens, may be easier than folding. Hanging may also be easier. Why fold a shirt when you can hang it?

Have a basket for each family member age 5 and up, sort their stuff into their baskets and let them put it away after they fold, roll or stack.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My laundry is getting out of hand. Small apartment, lots of people bh. No laundry room. Thank G-d I have a washing machine. But it's small, so I need to constantly be washing laundry to keep up. But I don't have time to fold every day, so I end up with baskets of clean laundry all over the place.

I'm open to ideas!

I think you should get in the habit of folding after each load. You don’t save any time by letting it accumulate and then it only becomes more daunting. Folding a small load shouldn’t take more than a few minutes. It takes me less than that to fold a large load.

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:41 pm
Cheiny wrote:
I think you should get in the habit of folding after each load. You don’t save any time by letting it accumulate and then it only becomes more daunting. Folding a small load shouldn’t take more than a few minutes. It takes me less than that to fold a large load.

Not to mention that sitting in a dryer causes wrinkles that wouldn’t happen if the laundry were removed promptly. At least hang shirts up. Nobody cares if your undies are wrinkled.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:43 pm
When I am on my game, I fold the laundry the same day I wash it. Its great me time, I can sit down to fold, I make a hot drink, sometimes I have a shmooze with DH other times I watch something on my phone. I just relax at the end of the day and fold away. Ill take it over cleaning the toilets or vacuuming a 1000x.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 4:04 pm
zaq wrote:
Stack, don’t fold if you can. Underwear, baby clothes, socks are all small enough to stack in a drawer or right in the laundry basket. Try rolling things like linens, may be easier than folding. Hanging may also be easier. Why fold a shirt when you can hang it?

Have a basket for each family member age 5 and up, sort their stuff into their baskets and let them put it away after they fold, roll or stack.

I think 4 year olds can start. Why wait till 5? You must really spoil your kids

suri63

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 4:24 pm
*You can reduce your laundry in the first place. Dont need to wash towels each bath/shower- have one towel per household person and hang to dry after use (you can label hooks for each person_- its only used for drying 'clean bodies'- doesn't need washing each time....
* Check all clothing before chucking into the wash- dont wash if not dirty.....
* Save on folding time -I have 2 boxes in each childs shelf. One holds all panties (not folded, just throw them into box) and one for tights, also dont roll up, just throw the bunch....

oneofakind

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:00 pm
Use collapsible baskets. When they're empty they'll take up less room. Or have each person have a net laundry basket in their closet. Assign a day to do that person's laundry. Wash, dry, fold and return to their room on that day. Then do the next. There will be less balagan when you don't have to sort and have a bunch of piles sitting around.

gyf45

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:25 pm
I have my drying rack from amazon permanently set up cuz I love doing laundry so much I can never put it away... It’s collapsible and keeps all the wet clothing in one place. Recently I changed the way I do laundry cycles to make it easier on myself and the clothing. I do all socks, underwear, sock tights, pajamas together one load yes white and dark- on regular cycle but on warm not hot. And basically any type of outer clothing - tshirts pants and regular tights, delicate stuff is all together on cold delicate cycle. That goes straight to the drying rack. The socks underwear load I fold out of the dryer. If I’m too busy I leave in dryer until I’m in mood to fold. If it’s a towel load I just hang the towels back up on the hooks and fold the dish towels out of the dryer in the Marie kondo method - it’s more fun to fold that way and I can stack them up in a tiny cupboard with plenty of room. Linen is a different story can’t help you with that... Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry