Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Help! I was scammed and scammer is turning it around on me
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 9:26 pm
Amarante wrote:
Truly I don't post this to make you feel bad but scammers exist all over and they scam all kinds of people. Like at all the super rich "smart" people who were scammed by Madoff's Ponzi scheme.

I was very into purses at one point in my life and so I wandered onto a forum in which scam artists discussed ways to cheat Ebay purchasers regarding the fake designer bags they were selling. They traded tips Twisted Evil

It's a life lesson and you can be smarter from now on. Ask yourself why you decided to buy a diamond over the internet? Without stereotyping, we are Jewish and what Jewish woman doesn't know "someone" in the diamond trade Very Happy I am not much of a stone person myself but my friend is and so she has a guy on 47th Street that she trusts when she is looking for a stone. Or when she is purchasing jewelry for the style, she purchases from bricks and mortar stores with stellar reputations.

Like the cliche goes - If it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true - sometimes a big mitziah is a scam disguised as a mitziah

I really appreciate this post.

Major life lesson 🤦🏻‍♀️

Thats insane about the bags... such web pages shouldn't be legal!

Yes, this deal was borderline too good to be true , but not toooo good that wasn't believable.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 11:18 pm
Amarante wrote:
Truly I don't post this to make you feel bad but scammers exist all over and they scam all kinds of people. Like at all the super rich "smart" people who were scammed by Madoff's Ponzi scheme.

I was very into purses at one point in my life and so I wandered onto a forum in which scam artists discussed ways to cheat Ebay purchasers regarding the fake designer bags they were selling. They traded tips Twisted Evil

It's a life lesson and you can be smarter from now on. Ask yourself why you decided to buy a diamond over the internet? Without stereotyping, we are Jewish and what Jewish woman doesn't know "someone" in the diamond trade Very Happy I am not much of a stone person myself but my friend is and so she has a guy on 47th Street that she trusts when she is looking for a stone. Or when she is purchasing jewelry for the style, she purchases from bricks and mortar stores with stellar reputations.

Like the cliche goes - If it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true - sometimes a big mitziah is a scam disguised as a mitziah

Diamonds are actually an item that it makes sense to be getting metzia on.

In terms of absolute depreciation, diamonds are among the worst investment a person can make. They are generally sold for about 50% above the Rappaport price, and if you wanted to sell it back to the jeweler they generally offer about 50% below the Rappaport price. In other words, a diamond you bought for $7500 you can probably only sell back to jeweler for $2500-$3000, so you lose 60%+ of what you paid when you walk out the door. It makes sense that someone would be selling a $7500 retail diamond for $3500, because that's more than they can get from any jeweler. Even if you went to a relative in the industry, it's unlikely that they'd give you that kind of pricing. Buying from an online retailer or even an eBay seller and then having it ascertained and evaluated post purchase makes sense to a degree, given the level of discount and the consumer protections from the marketplaces and the credit cards. I don't think OP was a fool, and I'm quite confident that she will get her money back. If she hadn't taken it to a jeweler that would be a different story.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 11:36 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:

In terms of absolute depreciation, diamonds are among the worst investment a person can make. They are generally sold for about 50% above the Rappaport price, and if you wanted to sell it back to the jeweler they generally offer about 50% below the Rappaport price. In other words, a diamond you bought for $7500 you can probably only sell back to jeweler for $2500-$3000, so you lose 60%+ of what you paid when you walk out the door. It makes sense that someone would be selling a $7500 retail diamond for $3500, because that's more than they can get from any jeweler. Even if you went to a relative in the industry, it's unlikely that they'd give you that kind of pricing. Buying from an online retailer or even an eBay seller and then having it ascertained and evaluated post purchase makes sense to a degree, given the level of discount and the consumer protections from the marketplaces and the credit cards. I don't think OP was a fool, and I'm quite confident that she will get her money back. If she hadn't taken it to a jeweler that would be a different story.

I hope others learn from my mistake. Because as naive as I may have been on ebay, I actually am an educated person in general and had genuinely worked hard educating myself about diamonds.

I thought I was making an educated decision.

My assumption about this diamond was that I was getting somewhat of a middle ground amount between what the diamond would retail for and what someone selling their used diamond would generally receive by selling back to a jeweler.

Foolish me thought this purchase was going to be a win-win. I thought that I was getting a good deal while the seller was getting more than he would have received if he tried selling to a jeweler. Tho really on ebay diamonds of similar comps were going for 1 to 2 thousand more - so I should have suspected something.

Had the price been much lower I would have been suspicious. I actually did have a back and forth about the pricing. The seller provided a receipt (obviously from something else ) and explained what percent back he was hoping to recoup. The receipt had a GIA report number for the diamond , and when I looked it up on the GIA website, the specs matched with what the guy was claiming.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:07 am
So the guy finally accepted my return and provided a shipping label.

Any advice how I should handle this?

Do I just keep calm and simply ship back?
Or should I make a big deal and pack it up at usps store etc and have someone video the process?

I do not know how to handle this Crying

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:36 am
As one who has lots of experience with eBay, I think, do video it. Then after you receive your refund, leave him negative feedback stating that the diamond was FAKE. That way other shoppers will be alerted.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:06 pm
I'm concerned he'll claim he didn't receive it and continue the scam! Make sure you get the tracking number, so you can confirm that he did indeed receive it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:25 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I'm concerned he'll claim he didn't receive it and continue the scam! Make sure you get the tracking number, so you can confirm that he did indeed receive it.

So I went back to my jeweler and paid for a written appraisal with pictures etc. they included a comment on how they informed me it was a fake. I videotaped the packing and have tracking.

I am so wary and based on his messages I am pretty much assuming he will continue the scam and say I swapped . Please daven for me!

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 5:16 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:

You took my sentence out of context.

There is no reason to not shop around for the best price on a diamond. You don't need to buy a stone from Tiffanys as there are objective criteria to evaluate stones and you can get a high quality stone from a reputable source which is also well priced.

However, buying a diamond through the internet is not a risk I would take to get a bargain. There are safer alternative sources in which to buy a high quality stone without risking being cheated or scammed.

Buying a diamond on Ebay because it appears to be a bargain is a risk I wouldn't take. Most of us have access to someone in the trade who will sell a stone at a good enough price.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 4:09 pm
Hi!

Just wanted to update you all that bh the seller received the item I sent back and authorized the refund!

Guess he didn’t feel like following through with his threats that he would have proof that I sent back the wrong item.

Thank you all so much for all the support and constructive input!

imasinger

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 5:23 pm
Hurray! So glad to hear this ended well.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 5:27 pm
imasinger wrote:
Hurray! So glad to hear this ended well.

Thank you! Your input really helped me get through this
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics