Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Safe to use a used Doona?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:55 pm
A relative (their baby is two and a half) offered their Doona. Is it safe to use it? Obviously I will ask if it was ever in a crash; I do know they have flown with it.

Wwyd?

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:11 pm
A doona is rated very low on the crash safety scale.
That said, I'm assuming it safe but you might have to replace the wheels.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:45 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
A doona is rated very low on the crash safety scale.
That said, I'm assuming it safe but you might have to replace the wheels.

I know people say that, but I don't see that confirmed online...
One site said that, while other sites said it scored mediocre. (Even the site that scored it low said it passed federal safety standards.)

MommyM

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:10 pm
The only problems with used car seats are when they're beyond their expiration date or have been in a crash. If neither apply here, then it should be safe to use. (If their baby is 2 1/2, it should be under the 6/7 year expiration date.)

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:40 pm
Can someone explain to me why car seats have an expiration date, especially why the simple boosters would have one. If it hasn't been in an accident and they haven't change the car seat design, deeming it an outdated model, why would it be unsafe. Particularly if it has been sitting in a garage?

Just curious as my kids are older and close in age and I bought new at the time.

sky

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:50 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Can someone explain to me why car seats have an expiration date, especially why the simple boosters would have one. If it hasn't been in an accident and they haven't change the car seat design, deeming it an outdated model, why would it be unsafe. Particularly if it has been sitting in a garage?

Just curious as my kids are older and close in age and I bought new at the time.

The plastic breaks down as it ages. Especially if in heat, cold, sun. Outdoor car weather. You can see videos of old car seats in accidents and they don’t hold up.

cnc

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:51 pm

Because the materials that they’re composed of decompose, making them less strong and possibly unable to hold up in a crash.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:51 pm

I asked in the store when a got a new car seat. I was told that the plastic wears out a gets thinner with the years, especially if it's sitting in a car or a garage. It loses it's strength and can get bent out of shape in an accident.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 7:08 am
Back to my original question Smile
Until it was offered to me I was going to buy a new Graco car seat for my snap n go (cost of around $150-180 for the model I wanted). If I take this, I think I'm going to need to buy the bag; I think that's $80.
Trying to decide if it's worth it to take the Doona, if it's safe and useful enough. Is it a safe idea to take it, use for for the baby the first few weeks and then decide if I should also get the other car seat?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics