Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What do you think of prince Harry and Megan moving to Canada
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:02 pm
I thought this satiric article was absolutely spot on

Honestly, I, Meghan Markle, have been plotting this my entire life

Jessica M. Goldstein

Hi, everyone! It’s me, Meg. (I did say I’d always be Meg.) I take it you’ve all seen my Instagram, where Harry and I announced our decision to step back as senior members of the royal family and, like you probably would’ve done, used this as an excuse to post another picture from one of our engagement photo shoots. And I guess you could say we caused quite a stir.

Just to clarify: Prince Andrew definitely, absolutely, 100 percent hung out in a manner not “becoming of a member of the royal family” with s-xual abuser Jeffrey Epstein. But for reasons that are impossible to discern (wild theories: sexism, racism), the British press is just appalled that I, the Duchess of Sussex, and my husband, a redhead who will never be king, have announced our decision to do as so many of our fellow millennials do: attempt to move out of his parents’ house, gain financial independence and make our own way in the world.

I can see that this — me, what I’m doing, not the Andrew relations-trafficking-adjacent thing — has led to considerable upset. The Queen is not thrilled. Buckingham Palace aides are “shocked,” “devastated” and “downright furious.” And, according to the Daily Mail’s sources, Harry and I “spent weeks ‘secretly plotting’ [our] decision … in what one insider branded a ‘staggering level of deceit.’”

They were wrong. It has not been weeks. It has been decades.

Ever since I was a little girl, I fantasized about marrying Prince Harry — for the express purpose of destroying the monarchy, torching centuries of tradition, and throwing the royal family and all its attendant staff and parasitical press into complete, all-consuming chaos — or whatever it is the tabloids say I am now doing.

Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen, according to a detailed, precise timeline I mapped out in kindergarten. When I met Beyoncé, and she called me “my princess”? EXACTLY how I imagined it would be. Two weeks ahead of schedule, actually.

Other girls in my class dreamed of someday marrying a prince and becoming a princess. Amateurs. I dreamed of someday becoming a retired senior royal. “Duchess of Sussex (Ret.) Who Splits Her Time Between the Commonwealth and Her Responsibilities in the U.K. but Has Become Financially Independent” was what I doodled in all my notebooks. I was already dreaming of one day taking on a so-called more progressive role in the royal family — a brilliant maneuver that would, in fact, be the most devastating blow to befall the British monarchy since Richard II.

After graduating from Northwestern, where I risked outing myself with my extremely on-the-nose double-major (international studies and theater, HELLO), I devoted myself to the study of Bayesian probability with a stint on “Deal or No Deal.”

As I held the briefcase aloft, I smiled the smile of someone who knew that in 13 years and eight months exactly, she would tear asunder the bonds that tied her future husband to his brother, his father, his grandmother, her phalanx of corgi ghosts and all he had ever known (living in his grandmother’s house), and whisk him away to North America for half the year.

When I strolled onto the “Suits” set in Toronto — Canada, of course, being one of the 53 sovereign nations in the British Commonwealth, whose head is Queen Elizabeth II — I thought of how five years later, I would meet Harry and subsequently steal him away from his entire extended family. Not because we were setting healthy boundaries, something the British Empire would be forgiven for not really knowing about, but because of this aforementioned diabolical plan, which, you’re right, is unfolding exactly as I envisioned.

I really thought everyone would crack it when I left one of my dogs behind. Remember that news cycle? “How could that heartless monster Meghan abandon her dog on the other side of the Atlantic?” Well. Bogart knew what was up. As I dropped him off with the close friends who would tend to him in my (brief, finite) absence, I scratched his belly and whispered into one of his floppy ears: “The plan is in its final phase.”

Autumn Brewington: The royal family said their situation is complicated. The reality is more dire.

I’m just glad we all finally get it. The unbelievable thing in this picture is not the institution of the monarchy, a costly terrarium of Queen Victoria’s descendants that Britain maintains at public expense; not the nightmarish hounding by the British tabloids; nor the fact that the royal family still hasn’t distanced itself from Prince Andrew anywhere I can see. It’s Harry’s and my decision to try to carve out something that resembles a normal life. That’s the scandal here, and I am the villain.

Right now, I’m just looking forward to getting a job, getting some distance from my in-laws, and, one day, playing myself on “The Crown” — which, incidentally, is the one scenario in which I would ever wear semi-sheer pantyhose in public again.

I knew I’d eventually ascend from the USA Network to Netflix. It was all in the plan.

Ihatepotatoes

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:34 pm
Not sure if this has been mentioned here, but the real victims here are the poor residents of Sussex, who are now vulnerable to invasion from Hampshire and Surrey

Sebastian

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:35 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Does she have sponsors?

she isnt allowed to as a working royalyy. likely why she wants out

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:41 pm
Sebastian wrote:
she isnt allowed to as a working royalyy. likely why she wants out

so she can make money from instagram? This seems an unlikely motivator.

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 2:23 am
Amarante wrote:
I thought this satiric article was absolutely spot on

Honestly, I, Meghan Markle, have been plotting this my entire life

It's cute, I'll give it that, but it's satire. The royal family has indeed distanced itself from Prince Andrew. In fact, they've given him the cut direct. He's been told to step down from his royal duties. His staff have been ordered to leave Buckingham Palace, he's been banned from Trooping of the Colour (even non-working royals are invited to that), his charities and organizations have dropped him, and there are cries to remove him from The Royal Lodge, his current sprawling mansion. He's been cut off from the Sovereign Grant, and the public is calling for him to be removed from the Queen's funding altogether. As people keep saying here, rich people can give what they like to their own children, and the Queen is still bankrolling him because she's his mother.

The title of this thread isn't, "What do you think of Prince Andrew?" Because pretty much all of us would agree he's a disgusting pig who should be exiled, at the least, and face some serious repercussions. He's lived a life of frivolity, and no one, aside from Fergie, has ever had particularly nice things to say about him. I remember, years and years ago, reading a royal biography about a particular time period in the royal's history, by a well-known sycophant of the men in the royal family. The best she could come up with is that "he's good at golf". That's it. She also insinuated that it's because it's all he does.

No one likes him.

And while it's super cute to keep saying things like "Harry and Meghan are finally moving out of his grandmother's house", it's beyond patronizing to people who can think for themselves. Well, first of all, because he isn't doing that. He is indeed staying in his grandmother's house. He's just going to be living in another house for some of the time. So he'll have multiple homes. Second of all, because it conjures up visions of a three bedroom ranch on a cul-de-sac in suburbia. It's quite ridiculous when each royal dwelling is about twenty times the size of anyone's mansion, and when they live by themselves along with tons of staff to cater to all their needs.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 2:25 am
Ihatepotatoes wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned here, but the real victims here are the poor residents of Sussex, who are now vulnerable to invasion from Hampshire and Surrey

Lol!

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 2:39 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
She already had fame.

How does moving (back) to Canada fit into this narrative?

(As a Canadian who used to live a 20 minute walk from Meghan - I find all this hilarious)

You're comparing her role on Suits - a show most people had never seen - to marrying a royal Prince?

I have driven past her house. It is hilarious. Let me tell you something - if someone set you up on a blind date and told you, "By the way, it's with the Prince of England", wouldn't you have a chance to say, "you know what? That kind of lifestyle isn't for me." You know, like shidduchim. But she didn't. She was interested. And why is that?

Some of Harry's past girlfriends have gone on record to say that they broke up with him because they didn't want to live their lives in the spotlight. They figured that out pretty quickly, went on and married wealthy people, and somehow managed to never be photographed like that again. Meghan, while dating, did a Vanity Fair full interview, with herself on the cover, talking about what a "fairy tale" her romance had turned out to be. She welcomed it.

I'm not saying she's an evil person. Not at all. I'm not saying she had forethought and planned this her whole life. I have no access to her personally. All I can say is that when she conducts teary-eyed interviews with the press about how difficult her life is and she had absolutely no idea how fame worked, and that all she really wanted out of life is to live quietly out of the public eye, she's lying.

She's trying to be Diana, only this time the villain is the entire free world instead of Camilla, and it just doesn't sit well with the public.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 4:07 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Fergie still has a title, and isn't married to the brother of the future king.

She was, though.

doratheexplorer

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 9:39 am
I don’t think people out of the UK seem to get it. When they got got engaged the media was really positive about her. It was only when she started acting the way she did that it started getting negative. The list goes on and on but the way she treated her father, taking millions of taxpayers money to do up her cottage, never showcasing British fashion, telling us all to do more for the environment and then taking four private jets in the space of two weeks and so it goes on. As a senior royal your life is your job. You get government money to literally stand and wave, go to openings etc dress appropriately, stay out of politics. She never wanted the royal life and now she’s disappeared like a coward and run off to Canada while still expecting us to foot her millions of £££’s security bill

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 9:52 am
imorethanamother wrote:
You're comparing her role on Suits - a show most people had never seen - to marrying a royal Prince?

I have driven past her house. It is hilarious. Let me tell you something - if someone set you up on a blind date and told you, "By the way, it's with the Prince of England", wouldn't you have a chance to say, "you know what? That kind of lifestyle isn't for me." You know, like shidduchim. But she didn't. She was interested. And why is that?

Some of Harry's past girlfriends have gone on record to say that they broke up with him because they didn't want to live their lives in the spotlight. They figured that out pretty quickly, went on and married wealthy people, and somehow managed to never be photographed like that again. Meghan, while dating, did a Vanity Fair full interview, with herself on the cover, talking about what a "fairy tale" her romance had turned out to be. She welcomed it.

I'm not saying she's an evil person. Not at all. I'm not saying she had forethought and planned this her whole life. I have no access to her personally. All I can say is that when she conducts teary-eyed interviews with the press about how difficult her life is and she had absolutely no idea how fame worked, and that all she really wanted out of life is to live quietly out of the public eye, she's lying.

She's trying to be Diana, only this time the villain is the entire free world instead of Camilla, and it just doesn't sit well with the public.

No I'm not comparing her role on Suits to marrying a royal Prince.

What was hiliarious about her house?

Doubtful she said she had no absolutly no idea how famed worked.

She's trying to be Diana? Other than marrying into the Royal family - they really aren't comparable.

imorethanamother

Post Sat, Jan 18 2020, 10:20 pm
Wow! Reading the news after shabbos it appears the royal family isn’t taking this lightly! They have to repay the money spent on their house, they are barred from representing the Queen, and the HRH titles have been removed.

Interesting.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Jan 18 2020, 11:54 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
Wow! Reading the news after shabbos it appears the royal family isn’t taking this lightly! They have to repay the money spent on their house, they are barred from representing the Queen, and the HRH titles have been removed.

Interesting.

Someone must have been monitoring the media because those are the 2 main complaints I keep on seeing being brought up in editorials etc. So I guess that's the taxpayers main concerns- as the media and social media are portraying it. I'm guessing that the palace REALLY wants to get this right in regards to popular opinion

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 2:59 am
Will Harry and Meghan be relevant in five years from now?

Will there be photos of them going around like there have been until now?

Will Harry find friends/occupation/happiness in Canada?

Will Harry be able to carve out a respectable spot for himself as a private citizen?

All these questions which are totally irrelevant to my life are swirling around in my head

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 3:02 am
Is it only me who thinks Harry and Meghan will fade into the background completely?
Right now they're trying to get out of the glare of the spotlight but soon enough they'll figure out they're out of the picture completely
Are they truly prepared to start living like 'regular' people

Only time will tell

Me and my musings
Page 10 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 Recent Topics