Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Discussion on Nach Yomi
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:27 pm
Can we start a discussion on Sefer Yehoshua? Admittedly, I don't push myself to keep up every day, as I have*some* other responsibilities

tzavei_yeshuos

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:39 pm
Yes! I'm here for it Smile

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:20 pm
Sure

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can we start a discussion on Sefer Yehoshua? Admittedly, I don't push myself to keep up every day, as I have*some* other responsibilities

Yes, I am fascinated with Rachav.

How did a harlot get to such a great place as to marrying Yehoshua?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:57 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Yes, I am fascinated with Rachav.

How did a harlot get to such a great place as to marrying Yehoshua?

One answer is, this is the power of redemption and teshuva. I assume Yeshoshua's having lived through everything he did combined with a hefty dose of ruach hakodesh made him receptive to the shidduch.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:04 pm
Wow. I started the first daf yomi thread. Im so glad about this thread starting as well.
I've actually decided to do Nach Yomi as well. (Esp because I am only doing a brief overview of the daf). Can any one tell me more about Michal Horowitz who is giving the shiurim? She is really interesting.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:49 pm
I am stuck on the first Rashi in this perek (6) because of the Aramaic. Any takers?

imasoftov

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 6:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am stuck on the first Rashi in this perek (6) because of the Aramaic. Any takers?

Here are two places with Rashi translated into English:

https://www.sefaria.org.il/Ras.....ng=bi
https://www.chabad.org/library...../true

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 8:14 am
I just heard Michal Horowitz on Perek Zayin. Wow what she says about when Achan stole on Shabbas and it leads everyone being guilty and when Yehoshua speaks to him he calls him 'beni'. It s so beautiful.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 5:32 pm
I just listened to shevet levi.

Was Shevet Levi always happy with their role?

Or was it like everything in life?

It is hard to be zoche to see the good hashem gives us and the good in the tafkid hashme gives
each and everyone of us?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:10 am
I just listened to shevet levi.

Was Shevet Levi always happy with their role?

Or was it like everything in life?

It is hard to be zoche to see the good hashem gives us and the good in the tafkid hashme gives
each and everyone of us?

I really want to listen to these again. Rabbi Reisman spoke about the shevatim when he went through Yehoshua. Jumping ahead, maybe there's something relevant to your musings in shevet Dan (which he reprised recently re Shimshon). Dan represents disappointment - Chushim, being the last and the cleaner uppers in the midbar, the life of Shimshon which was full of trials and unconventional; Shimshon was not your typical gadol hador. And we are to learn from that. Each of us the shevatim have what to teach us about life, and seeing how important our roles are, whatever they are.

But we the Leviim, IIRC Moshe Rabbeinu, when being told about the avodah for the Leviim, was told "mishchu." They needed to be drawn with words because their task was daunting. For the Leviim, there was concern about ill-feelings from shevet Reuven, and they needed to stay humble, hence, they were shaved before the avodah started. And - this applies to the Kohanim too - they needed to constantly keep the proper perspective and keep their ego out of this. (I think I heard Shira Smiles speak about this.) But my impression is historically shevet Levi had a certain shtolz, I.e. pride in their being chosen for this role.

ETA: Just want to add something I heard yesterday, a recent shiur on TorahAnytime (I think YUTorah too) by Rabbi Shay Schachter. He was speaking about different nuschaos in davening, apropos to people traveling during winter break. He quoted Rav Soloveitchik, zt"l, who was at a symphony performance and noticed that the fellow with the cymbals banged them exactly 3 times. He later spoke to the cymbalist and asked if he got paid the same as the other orchestra members. The cymbalist was deeply offended. "This performance would not have been complete without me."

Now I could stop there and we'd all learn the point. But Rabbi Soloveitchik continued. This explained a gemara that said that someone who missed minyan is a shachein ra. There are all sorts of things you could say about someone who misses minyan for no reason, but shachein ra? Yes, because everyone contributes to the symphony of the minyan and if someone is missing, the symphony is incomplete. (I think I'm saying this over well. If I can I'd like to listen to that part again.)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:34 am
Thank you for sharing! I wanted to add that those of us whose husbands learn are considered the Shevet Levi of today, I believe according to the Rambam?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for sharing! I wanted to add that those of us whose husbands learn are considered the Shevet Levi of today, I believe according to the Rambam?

I assume you mean, learn full time. Because I know a lot of people who work 9-5 but learn 5-9.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:45 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I assume you mean, learn full time. Because I know a lot of people who work 9-5 but learn 5-9.

Thank you!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:48 am
tigerwife wrote:
Thank you!

Pleasure. And I should make clear, I do try to be machshiv the 9-5 (and beyond) learners, and klei kodesh in general. I just like a little precision in terminology.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 12:05 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I really want to listen to these again. Rabbi Reisman spoke about the shevatim when he went through Yehoshua. Jumping ahead, maybe there's something relevant to your musings in shevet Dan (which he reprised recently re Shimshon). Dan represents disappointment - Chushim, being the last and the cleaner uppers in the midbar, the life of Shimshon which was full of trials and unconventional;

The Lubavitcher Rebbe in sichos volume 1 describes the beautiful role of Dan in gathering all leftover items. Dan's bracha is fascinating. The name Chushim has great spiritual meaning......

I have sometimes found that klei kodesh people and non-klei kodesh people are completely out of touch with each other. Hashem sends each their OWN MITZVOS that the other will never come across. The mitzvos and immersion in yiddishkeit that is relevant to someone who is in business or any other field is beyond klei kodesh capacity to truly understand.
The same is true in the reverse.

In days of old, ownership of farmland, vineyards, capacity to raise cattle etc. was an honor and a pride. (And the Torah gives the person in this capacity the honor to practice yiddishkeit in a different way than shevet levi.)
Would not the prestige of owing land be a nisyaon for Leviim? (unless he felt really wonderful about being klei kodesh?)

etky

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 12:38 pm
The Lubavitcher Rebbe in sichos volume 1 describes the beautiful role of Dan in gathering all leftover items. Dan's bracha is fascinating. The name Chushim has great spiritual meaning......

I have sometimes found that klei kodesh people and non-klei kodesh people are completely out of touch with each other. Hashem sends each their OWN MITZVOS that the other will never come across. The mitzvos and immersion in yiddishkeit that is relevant to someone who is in business or any other field is beyond klei kodesh capacity to truly understand.

In days of old, ownership of farmland, vineyards, capacity to raise cattle etc. was an honor and a pride. (And the Torah gives the person in this capacity the honor to practice yiddishkeit in a different way than shevet levi.)
Would not the prestige of owing land be a nisyaon for Leviim? (unless he felt really wonderful about being klei kodesh?)

In post-biblical times, especiallly after the churban, the rabbis took over the function of the kohanim-leviim in terms of study and teaching Torah. Plenty of the most important rabbis of the Talmud were also propertied men who dealt in agriculture and animal husbandry, others supported themselves through other trades or labors. There was no dichotomy.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 2:14 pm

First of all, I've been in carpools with klei kodesh.
Interestingly, you have Yissachar, who is known for their scholars, and Shimon, who is known for melamdim. (The story of Shechem showed their passion, and properly channeled, Shimon made great melamdim. They just had to be dispersed through the shevatim to avoid the possible negative manifestations.)
Point is, Yissacher had their own nachala, Shimon was dispersed among the others.
And maaser sheni was the chance for those who didn't mingle with klei kodesh to get a booster shot.

ETA: the Kohanim and Leviim had to exude ahavas Yisrael, by definition of their mission. Think of birchas Kohanim, which has to be given with love for BY, all the shevatim.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 9:54 am
PinkFridge wrote:
First of all, I've been in carpools with klei kodesh.
Interestingly, you have Yissachar, who is known for their scholars, and Shimon, who is known for melamdim. (The story of Shechem showed their passion, and properly channeled, Shimon made great melamdim. They just had to be dispersed through the shevatim to avoid the possible negative manifestations.)
Point is, Yissacher had their own nachala, Shimon was dispersed among the others.
And maaser sheni was the chance for those who didn't mingle with klei kodesh to get a booster shot.

ETA: the Kohanim and Leviim had to exude ahavas Yisrael, by definition of their mission. Think of birchas Kohanim, which has to be given with love for BY, all the shevatim.

Very insightful concept about ahavas yisrael and kohanim and leviim.
Thanks, pink fridge

momtra

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 10:33 pm
This is such a beautiful thread!
I’ve seen it mentioned that there is a what’s app in 5 towns with Nach Yomi members -anyone know about it?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics