Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Weight watchers -success?

Turquoise

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 1:42 pm
Hi,
Looking to start weight watchers again(did it years ago)
Anyone have recent success with it ,I'm tired of the more extreme restrictive diets ..
Anyone do it recently and lost weight I need to lose quite a bit of weight..

Optione

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 1:46 pm
I'm currently not on it, but when I was honest and worked the plan, the plan worked.

Turquoise

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 1:47 pm
How long were u able to stick to it
Did u lose a significant amount?

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 2:11 pm
Me! I lost 50 pounds in 7 months on the nursing plan. I found it very doable after a short adjustment period. Most people lose a lot in the first month, so that's good because it keeps you motivated and once that first month ends, you're already in the rhythm.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 2:19 pm
I find the new plan very flexible and easy to adjust to. after two weeks or so it became part of me and it is not terribly difficult to stick to it.
lost 20 pounds in 4 1/2 months so far
the support group is amazing and motivates me.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 2:24 pm
I lost nothing after 4 months logging everything and being in the healthy eating zone daily. The free foods still have calories. When I put the question out to the WWers universe, it was repeatedly recommended that I go to another program like lose it to count calories.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 2:24 pm
Optione wrote:
I'm currently not on it, but when I was honest and worked the plan, the plan worked.

Lol. This is true for most plans for most people. Most plans involve some form of low calorie, low carb, that will cause weight loss. The problem with ww is basically the same as every other diet. There's very little pizza, fries, pasta, cookies, and cake. With shabbos, yomim tovim, simchas, and just love of food, it is very difficult to stick with any diet for a long time.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 2:29 pm
I was on weight watchers several times and lost significant weight. And then gained it all back, because WW is not a sustainable lifetime diet. And I'll tell you why: it encourages cheating the system. You can save points and eat cake and ice cream and bread. There is not enough of an emphasis on HEALTH, and too much an emphasis on weight loss. Weight loss needs to be a natural side effect of healthy living to make it lifelong.

I am a holistic health coach and I teach people to change their relationship with food compleltey. I teach people to put things into their bodies that are congruent with their goals--to be optimally alive and feel awesome physically and mentally! I teach people to be in tune with their intuition and pay attention to how they feel and what they need. I teach people to identify the reasons they are craving something and get to the root of it and deal with it appropriately.

The biggest problem with the diet world is that:
1. people view foods as good and bad, so when they eat a bad food they tend to eat a ton of it because it is glorified. When people go off they feel like "what the heck I mine as well..."
2. people don't learn to put NUTRITION into their bodies, just decreeced calories, which will not help them lose weight if they are eating processed junk and leaves them craving nutrients which they think is a call for more junk.
3. people give over the control to the Diet, not to their inner voice. So when they go off the diet (or "oppressive authority figure"), they are lost and don't trust themselves or have any tools to know how or what to eat.

People, no one gets fat off three bowls of salad. No one even gets fat off of 3000 calories of salad in one day. Not all calories are created equal. Its not even scientifically accurate that calories burned=weight burned. And basically every diet out there is based on that. Im not saying you need to live off of salad--I'm saying that processed foods, simple carbs, and sugar are what make people fat and sick, not calories. The trick is to learn to prepare healthy foods that are so good you don't have an appitite for the foods that aren't congruent with your goals. The trick is to have so much real nutrition going into your body and deal with your emotions effectivly that you lose the will to hurt yourself.

You cannot cheat the system.
You might lose a lot of weight by eating very little (even if its a bowl of ice cream and a handful of kale a day) but it is not going to last because you aren't addressing the root of the issue, which is that you are not eating for optimal vitalization. And when you do learn to eat for optimal vitalization, you will feel happy, have energy, have a body that is working great, and (oh yeah, look at that) be thin. The goal isn't weight loss, the goal is treating yourself with self respect--viewing yourself as a person that deserves to be treated with care. And just like you don't give your newborn baby sticks of margerine to lick, don't do it to yourself. Every bite is a chance to show yourself compassion and respect. Every bite is an oppertunity to fill yourself up with nutrient dense food that will make you feel your best. Why? NOT so you can give to others. Because you are important, period. And you deserve to feel good, period. Even if you die without doing a darn thing for another person.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 2:59 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
I lost nothing after 4 months logging everything and being in the healthy eating zone daily. The free foods still have calories. When I put the question out to the WWers universe, it was repeatedly recommended that I go to another program like lose it to count calories.

WW has a very low success rate with people who lose and actually keep it off, that’s exactly why they keep changing their program every few years. It’s not very sustainable for life and people simply end up feeling deprived, hungry and then get unmotivated.
I found the low carb diet (Keto type) works best as far as controlling hunger and cravings.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 3:02 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
I was on weight watchers several times and lost significant weight. And then gained it all back, because WW is not a sustainable lifetime diet. And I'll tell you why: it encourages cheating the system. You can save points and eat cake and ice cream and bread. There is not enough of an emphasis on HEALTH, and too much an emphasis on weight loss. Weight loss needs to be a natural side effect of healthy living to make it lifelong.

I am a holistic health coach and I teach people to change their relationship with food compleltey. I teach people to put things into their bodies that are congruent with their goals--to be optimally alive and feel awesome physically and mentally! I teach people to be in tune with their intuition and pay attention to how they feel and what they need. I teach people to identify the reasons they are craving something and get to the root of it and deal with it appropriately.

The biggest problem with the diet world is that:
1. people view foods as good and bad, so when they eat a bad food they tend to eat a ton of it because it is glorified. When people go off they feel like "what the heck I mine as well..."
2. people don't learn to put NUTRITION into their bodies, just decreeced calories, which will not help them lose weight if they are eating processed junk and leaves them craving nutrients which they think is a call for more junk.
3. people give over the control to the Diet, not to their inner voice. So when they go off the diet (or "oppressive authority figure"), they are lost and don't trust themselves or have any tools to know how or what to eat.

People, no one gets fat off three bowls of salad. No one even gets fat off of 3000 calories of salad in one day. Not all calories are created equal. Its not even scientifically accurate that calories burned=weight burned. And basically every diet out there is based on that. Im not saying you need to live off of salad--I'm saying that processed foods, simple carbs, and sugar are what make people fat and sick, not calories. The trick is to learn to prepare healthy foods that are so good you don't have an appitite for the foods that aren't congruent with your goals. The trick is to have so much real nutrition going into your body and deal with your emotions effectivly that you lose the will to hurt yourself.

You cannot cheat the system.
You might lose a lot of weight by eating very little (even if its a bowl of ice cream and a handful of kale a day) but it is not going to last because you aren't addressing the root of the issue, which is that you are not eating for optimal vitalization. And when you do learn to eat for optimal vitalization, you will feel happy, have energy, have a body that is working great, and (oh yeah, look at that) be thin. The goal isn't weight loss, the goal is treating yourself with self respect--viewing yourself as a person that deserves to be treated with care. And just like you don't give your newborn baby sticks of margerine to lick, don't do it to yourself. Every bite is a chance to show yourself compassion and respect. Every bite is an oppertunity to fill yourself up with nutrient dense food that will make you feel your best. Why? NOT so you can give to others. Because you are important, period. And you deserve to feel good, period. Even if you die without doing a darn thing for another person.

And how does this take into account for the many food addicts out there, emotional eaters, etc while their emotional issues aren’t being addressed? Your plan may work in a sense but it won’t help a food addict or emotional eater at all

Turquoise

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 3:06 pm
I want to hear success stories lol I already signed up and I really need this to work
But I agree with everyone that long term dieting is not good for anyone.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 3:18 pm
Amother yellow resonates for me.

The big question is not do people lose weight but do they keep it off.
You have to do something sustainable for weight loss, and have a plan to keep it off.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 3:43 pm
Is there an option for following the ww program entirely online?
I mean, skipping the meetings.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 3:44 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
And how does this take into account for the many food addicts out there, emotional eaters, etc while their emotional issues aren’t being addressed? Your plan may work in a sense but it won’t help a food addict or emotional eater at all

It is absolutely geared for people with emotional eating issues--thats practically everyone! I put a huge focus on helping people identify the reason they have cravings and address that well. So if someone is lonely at the end of the day, they call a friend, not eat. If someone is depressed, they hire a therapist. etc. I help people identify imbalences in their life and come to balance in those areas using various tools. But it all comes back to listening to their inner needs and respecting them (whether thats "I need protein" or "I need a bath" or "I need to cry").

Food addicts do well on OA programs. Soveya is based off of OA and works well for both eating disorders and food addictions. I do not reccomend it for anyone who does NOT have an eating disorder or food addiction because it takes away your control. It treats food like alcohol--you are powerless and need someone else to tell you what to do. So if you "have a drink" (eat your cake)--you broke abstanance and the addiction is activated and you are screwed. That's why this is not the route for anyone with the ability to take control of their own life--which is a forever skill, not for the time you are on the diet, and is a skill that is used in every area of life, not just with food.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 3:49 pm
I’m on it for almost a year and I’ve lost over 30 pounds. I really like the current plan, I find it much more sustainable than older plans.

fbcmom

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 4:04 pm
I love ww! Works for me every time after a baby. I lose like 15 lbs in 3-4 months ( I’m not really overweight so I don’t shed pounds) my mom lost 35 lbs and she’s keeping it off for like two years

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 4:36 pm
Turquoise wrote:
Hi,
Looking to start weight watchers again(did it years ago)
Anyone have recent success with it ,I'm tired of the more extreme restrictive diets ..
Anyone do it recently and lost weight I need to lose quite a bit of weight..

My mom is almost 50 and has more than 10 children! My youngest sister is already in 3rd grade and she was still carrying around the pregnancy weight from her! By each of our weddings she did fad diets and quickly gained it all back. She made up her mind September time to do ww long term. She loves the support system and she lost so much weight she really looks amazing ! I think she lost 30 of the 50 she wants to loose. She said she lost between .75 and 1 lb a week on average and it can be painfully slow at times but she believes slow and steady wins the race....

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 7:27 pm
I did not read all of the responses but I did read some. Allow me to add my 2 cents:
*I am currently on WW. I’ve lost about 30 pounds in about a year without feeling deprived or hungry.
*Both my nutritionist (I was seeing her before WW and since I am online only I still see her for weigh ins- I’d rather not have a scale in my house) and my physician think WW is a great plan and that this rate of loss is fine. I do have a lot to lose.
*I find that the freedom of WW encourages good choices. Yes, you can have cake, but if you have a small piece, you’ll have more points available for other things.
*The zero point foods mean that there is never an excuse to go off the deep end-“well, I ate everything I’m allowed for today and it’s only 2pm. Once I’m eating more than my allotment I may as well eat whatever I want”. This never happens on WW because you can always eat zero point foods. Chicken & veggies is a great supper & 0 pts.
*I’m online only & I love the app. It is so user friendly and has so much info.

If there are any questions I can answer, just let me know.

Amother because I gave so many details (but if you want me to pm you, I would)

R&RMom

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:59 am
I am currently on the Weight Watchers Purple plan. I love the idea of having "free foods" so that I never feel deprived. I have been successful on the plan (which I do online only, using the app), and have lost over 30lbs. I do see that it is taking me longer to lose than it has in pervious attempts, but I think its related to getting on in years LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise