Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
3 year old not talking about her day

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:44 pm
My extremely bright, verbal 3 year old never talks about her day at school. When prompted, she might tell me part of what she ate for breakfast OR lunch. She hardly ever talks about the activities she did or the crafts that she made.
(When she plays with her menchies she sings all the songs they sing in school, she knows the names of her teachers and classmates, etc. She'll just never talk to me about it. )
Is that normal for a 3 year old? FTM....

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:46 pm
some kids are not reporters. its normal.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:55 pm
Totally normal. Every child is different. My 5 year old never told me about his day. I never had any idea what activities he did. I found out the class had a petting zoo there one day because of the weekly newsletter. It's very much a personality.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:57 pm
Ok, that's good to hear. Thanks!

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:03 pm

zaftigmom

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 5:42 am
I ask my 3 year old what the best and worst part of her day was. That sometimes gets me a longer answer.

Last edited by zaftigmom on Wed, Jan 15 2020, 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total

BadTichelDay

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 5:52 am
My kids are like that - almost impossible to get any information from them about gan/school. Maybe they are just training for a sparkling career as secret service agents... What
(I do check with the ganenot/teachers though).

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 6:11 am
Thats completely normal. I was actually told that if you want actual answers to ask direct questions.
"what did you do during circle time"
"what did you eat for lunch"
"did you play outside"
"who did you play with"
When young children are directed to a more specific question they are more likely to answer as well because at that age, abstract thought (how was your day) isnt really developed yet.

yonabets

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 6:20 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Thats completely normal. I was actually told that if you want actual answers to ask direct questions.
"did you play outside"
"who did you play with"
When young children are directed to a more specific question they are more likely to answer as well because at that age, abstract thought (how was your day) isnt really developed yet.

Exactly!

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 6:38 am
I seriously have no clue what goes on in 3 year old gan. My daughter doesn't tell me anything and she's my first girl in this gan so at the pta/erev imahot I was fascinated seeing their schedules and hearing about everything.
I always tell my husband that I want to put button cams on my kids. None of them are big talkes and I'm so curious.
It's good for me to take a step back, it's not easy though.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 7:29 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
"did you play outside"
"who did you play with"

I do that. What did you eat, with which friend did you play, etc. Sometimes I get an answer, often I don't. [b]

polka dots

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 7:59 am
The more I ask , the more she doesn’t want to answer.

What I do is I start talking about my day. So while I’m feeding her I tell her what I did in the morning, and what I had for lunch... somehow she also starts talking about her day more than if I ask directly. I tell her about my work and friends... of course only age appropriate stuff but she likes hearing it.

And if she doesn’t want to talk that’s ok. When she comes home she just wants to be home and eat and play...

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 12:46 pm
Sounds like my kid. Super verbal and smart and I know that he tells the teacher all about home life...I still ask questions everyday ...in time snippets of the day come out when he’s ready to share.

asweet

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 1:59 pm
My 3 year old also always says nothing when asked what he did today!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 5:02 pm
My almost-3-year-old always says "Nothing," too!

In the summer, I was wondering why... and then in September, it said in the newsletter to realize that if a child says they learned "nothing," the newsletter will keep us posted. I guess this is pretty common LOL

cbsp

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 5:28 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
My almost-3-year-old always says "Nothing," too!

In the summer, I was wondering why... and then in September, it said in the newsletter to realize that if a child says they learned "nothing," the newsletter will keep us posted. I guess this is pretty common LOL

That's funny.

My then 5yo son would tell me that if Morah wants us to know what they do in school she'll write it in the newsletter. If not, he's not going to tell us.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics