Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Costco Jewelry vs local jeweler - Feedback please!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 9:46 pm
Whenever I go to Costco I cant help eying the diamond jewelry case.

I don’t have much jewelry at all but we have been saving up for a long time for a new piece in honor of several anniversaries and my kids (push presents).

Has anyone ever bought any jewelry from costco? Would love to hear feedback and see the actual item you chose for ideas.

Also, how do the prices and items compare, say, with what you can get jewelry shop?

Any input, feedback, and opinion appreciated! (Aside any bashing of any imas of course)

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:10 pm
I have purchased multiple pieces of jewelry at Costco. Diamond earrings for my DDs, my diamond wedding band, pearl drop earrings, and a few smaller pieces for gifts. As everything is super returnable, I brought the diamond ring to my jeweler for his opinion and he thought the quality was outstanding and appraised it for significantly more than I paid.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:43 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
I have purchased multiple pieces of jewelry at Costco. Diamond earrings for my DDs, my diamond wedding band, pearl drop earrings, and a few smaller pieces for gifts. As everything is super returnable, I brought the diamond ring to my jeweler for his opinion and he thought the quality was outstanding and appraised it for significantly more than I paid.

Thanks for the feedback!

West End Tova

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 12:56 am
https://www.jamesallen.com/complete-ring/
https://www.costco.com/round-b......html

I've never bought diamond jewelry at Costco, but I just checked their price for earrings against the online seller James Allen (they also have a showroom in the 47th Street area). FWIW Costco seems a bit higher than James Allen for a comparable product.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 12:58 am
West End Tova wrote:

I've never bought diamond jewelry at Costco, but I just checked their price for earrings against the online seller James Allen (they also have a showroom in the 47th Street area). FWIW Costco seems a bit higher than James Allen for a comparable product.

Super helpful! I hadn’t considered James Allen... I assumed prices there were inflated aince the company was bought by same owner as Kays and Jared etc
Do you or anyone you know have good experience with them?

West End Tova

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 1:03 am
I haven't bought from them either (!).
But I did check them out at Better Business Bureau and Yelp. They seem reputable. Some of the complaints have to do with delivery times, but the actual jewelry sounded pretty good.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 1:04 am
West End Tova wrote:

Wait- I just looked again and maybe I got the link wrong. What I see here the James Allen is like $1000 more despite lower quality grade diamond? I might be looking at the wrong thing..?

West End Tova

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 1:05 am
$2,350 at James Allen
$2,499 at Costco

1 ct tw 14K gold I color VS2 diamond studs

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 1:06 am
I have our purchased from Costco many times and always been happy with quality and pricing but it wasn’t the super expensive stuff

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 1:07 am
West End Tova wrote:
$2,350 at James Allen
$2,499 at Costco

1 ct tw 14K gold I color VS2 diamond studs

Oh somehow I had gotten to the 18k set on James Allen

Thank you so much !

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 1:08 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
I have our purchased from Costco many times and always been happy with quality and pricing but it wasn’t the super expensive stuff

Can you give an example of what you bought for inspo?

I’d be thrilled for something nice and quality that didn't break the bank.

West End Tova

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 1:08 am
No problem - let us know if you get something! (:-D

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 1:09 am
West End Tova wrote:
I haven't bought from them either (!).
But I did check them out at Better Business Bureau and Yelp. They seem reputable. Some of the complaints have to do with delivery times, but the actual jewelry sounded pretty good.

I’ve been saving up for that long, I can handle a delayed shipping lol

Metukah

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 2:41 am
I know someone who buys diamond jewellery in Costco, he has it checked by a professional who is always impressed by the quality and price.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:30 am
I've bought several pairs of earrings as gifts in the $200 ish range from Costco. They were given to relatives so I see the recipients often, and they are still enjoying the pieces years later and they look brand new. Really pretty and great quality.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:55 am
The trick with James Allen is to select your piece and then go back. Then you start receiving notices it's on sale.

I got a few pieces from BJs years ago. They were well priced and great quality. The diamond hoop earrings never went out of style. I also bought a diamond and pearl collar necklace.

What specific piece of jewelry are you looking for? Is it a diamond tennis necklace? I have been looking for one in advance of my anniversary, and I am going with my local jeweler.

Whether something is better quality and better priced depends on the jeweler and the specific piece. It took me awhile, but I found a jeweler that is well priced with great quality.

I have gotten higher end jewelry from Macys and Bloomingdales on sale. They beat the local jewelers prices.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics