Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Not liking school

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 5:26 pm
My first grader does not like school. He's been quite clear about the reason for it- the work and general demands, and overall just less fun than Kindergarten. I get it. And I know first grade is a hard adjustment for many kids. He had some behavior issues at the start of the year, but eventually settled in and stopped misbehaving. The thing is, he still feels very negatively about school. He complains that it's boring and he doesn't like having to do work (the work level really is just right for him. He's not struggling with it, but he's also not breezing through it in 30 seconds). I just feel bad that he's feeling so negative about school. He's not crying or refusing to go or anything like that, but he does whine a lot about how there are a million other things he'd rather be doing and why can't he do those things all day. Is there anything I can do to help him like school more? He has many years of school ahead of him, of course, so I hope he can learn to like it.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 11:32 pm
Help him develop a good relationship with his teachers. Speak to them about giving him some TLC, some good "jobs", lots of praise and encouragement.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 11:50 pm
Is there an excessive amount of homework?

Is the school day very long?

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 12:02 am
Op I have the same here, my first grader does not like school! He comes after 4 girls and really resents the going to school on sunday when his sisters don't have to!
I give him good snacks (sometimes snack bags that are usually reserved for shabbos party in our house!)
I try to pick him up when I can because the bus ride definitely makes it longer at the end of the day.
His afternoon teacher gives him a mark on how he behaved, 1,2 or 3. If he gets a 3, he gets a special treat that I got especially for that purpose (it's the only way to get it!)

I feel bad having to bribe him already in first grade but I don't see many other option.
(I checked with teachers, he's doing fine!)

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 12:05 am
DrMom wrote:
Is there an excessive amount of homework?

Is the school day very long?

Not o.p but in our school 10 minutes of H.W at the most.
The school day is very long!! He's out of the house at 8 and comes home at 4.45!!
(My 4th grade daughter leaves at 8.50 and home at 3.50!)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:59 am
The day is long. He doesn't have much homework, no more than 10-15 minutes and he doesn't put up a fuss with that. He does have jobs around the classroom and he's allowed to take breaks when he needs them. I guess I thought he was settling in when he stopped having behavioral incidents, but it seems like he's just holding it together but doesn't like it. He's very popular with the other boys. And he even says he likes his teachers. He just doesn't like having to do work, because work is not fun and he'd rather play. Can't say I blame him, but, ya know, he's got many years of school ahead of him, I don't want him to be so unhappy!

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 7:47 am
This is my daughter since 1st grade she’s in high school! She hates school, there are just some kids like that! She’s actually a very happy child.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children