Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tamiflu does it really work??
Previous  1  2

Moonlight

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 7:58 pm
My son was diagnosed with flu and started Tamiflu on Thursday. Bh, he is feeling totally fine now. All my kids started it prophylactically, no one got sick, no side effects. Bh.

flowerpower

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 8:16 pm
We all tested positive for the flu last year. We took one dose and it worked instantly with no side effects.

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 8:30 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I'm really surprised by this statement. Tamiflu worked like a miracle for my child two years ago and it did the same for almost everyone I know who used it. You have to take it immediately for it to work - maybe that's what your doctor meant? 24 hours is best although I've read here online you have 48 hours. But my experience has been that if you take it within 24 hours of the first onset of symptoms it works like a charm.

In the studies that were done, Tamiflu was shown to reduce flu symptoms by one day. Now, people here have stated that they have improved faster than that, but that is anectodal evidence.

Many pediatricians prescribe Tamiflu, but many do not. It is still very controversial.

It is a risk vs benefit situation. There are risks to taking Tamiflu as well.

Rachel8177

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 8:38 pm
amother wrote:
My pediatrician warned me against taking Tamiflu last year. He said after researching it he concluded its harmful and zero percent effective. Just my two cents.

Same here.... pediatrician claims the side effects strongly outweigh benefits of tamiflu. Would not give it to his patients.

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 8:52 pm
Op here. Spoke to the Dr Tonight and he told me if she's not getting worse and the tamiflu is making her so sick I shouldn't give it to her.. let's hope she has a speedy recovery! My last kid to get the flu three years ago and refused tamiflu was so sick for almost two weeks! I really hope I'll be spared this time ..

Culturedpearls

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 12:13 am
Tamiflu is a life saver. DH & I get flu shots but we have Tamiflu on hand always for the kids who refuse.
Works brilliantly.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 6:17 am
when I had the flu a couple of years ago, it was 5 days of absolute torture with my temp being 104-105, followed by another few days of just plain misery 101-102. On day 5 of my illness 2 of my kids got it. they both started tamiflu immediately ( I had missed the 24 hour window), and fever was down to 101 by the second morning, and stayed there for 2 days, after which they were all better. They started the flu 4 days after me, and were done a few days before me.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 9:04 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
My pediatrician warned me against taking Tamiflu last year. He said after researching it he concluded its harmful and zero percent effective. Just my two cents.

https://www.lanierlawfirm.com/.....ower/

shanarishona

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 9:53 pm
During pregnancy it’s extra important to take it

Take it on a FULL stomach

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:21 am
I gave my daughter Oscillodoccinum and her flu lasted 1.5 days . Also big doses of vitamin D for the past few months .... and big doses (10,000 iu ) during the flu . My pediatrician does not recommend Tamiflu for kids at all due to psychiatric side effects.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:53 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I gave my daughter Oscillodoccinum and her flu lasted 1.5 days . Also big doses of vitamin D for the past few months .... and big doses (10,000 iu ) during the flu . My pediatrician does not recommend Tamiflu for kids at all due to psychiatric side effects.

I read in my news feed yesterday that some doctors don't like it because it could cause relentless vomiting.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:54 am
ice coffee wrote:
My doctor is very hesitant to give it because there are some very serious potential side affect ( psychosis, horrible nightmares..). I would stop giving and let it run it’s course

Every medicine I've taken (except for tylenol and advil) like antibiotics and allergy meds give me horrible nightmares. Never knew that was considered a side effect. What is it?

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:59 am
You can give your daughter elderberry, it also shortens the flu with zero side effects, and you can take it as a preventative too.
Add in some vitamins C or D for extra immune health boost.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:25 am
I heard tamiflu shortens flu by 6 hours. I've heard from people about children suffering vomiting. I'd be nervous about dehydration from fever plus vomiting.
It might work as a preventive but when dh and I had flu our kids didn't catch it ( no flu shot) and I had it worse than him so it's very individual. It might help that we only share 1 bathroom and they use another.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics