Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Co worker leaving, I can't do it all

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 7:32 am
My co worker is looking to leave and I don't think my boss has started thinking about looking for a replacement (they are a bit lackadaisical in this company). If/when she leaves there will be a ton of work to be done that's actually impossible for me to do, but they will ask me to do it. Obviously it's not possible- I can't do the job of 2 ppl in the same amount of hours (and I can't increase my hours).

What is a professional yet firm way to approach this problem?

singleagain

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:29 am
Did your coworker give notice?

Is your coworker slacking on her job bc they are leaving?

hodeez

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:33 am
Would u do it if it came with a raise?

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:38 am
Ask for an informal meeting with the boss, present him with the facts and ask him a. what plans he has put in motion to replace Ms. Leaving Soon and what plans he has made to cover, delegate or postpone her share of projects until her replacement can be hired and brought up to speed.

Use statistics: you work X hours a week. complete Y assignments, Ms. LS worked Z hours a week and completed A assignments. It’s not possible for you to complete Y plus A projects in X hours, they need to either decrease the total workload or hire more help.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:41 am
zaq wrote:
Ask for an informal meeting with the boss, present him with the facts and ask him a. what plans he has put in motion to replace Ms. Leaving Soon and what plans he has made to cover, delegate or postpone her share of projects until her replacement can be hired and brought up to speed.

Use statistics: you work X hours a week. complete Y assignments, Ms. LS worked Z hours a week and completed A assignments. It’s not possible for you to complete Y plus A projects in X hours, they need to either decrease the total workload or hire more help.

She did not give official notice yet. She's waiting until she receives an offer. I feel funny doing this if she has not officially informed them.
But this is a good idea. Once it's official I'll do this. Thanks.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:43 am
You are correct. You cannot do it until after she officially gives notice.

singleagain

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:46 am
If she has not given official notice. Possibly your boss doesn't know she's looking to go?

But if she's already got a foot out of the door, is she slacking on her work. Bc that you can talk to boss about.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:54 am
singleagain wrote:
If she has not given official notice. Possibly your boss doesn't know she's looking to go?

But if she's already got a foot out of the door, is she slacking on her work. Bc that you can talk to boss about.

They do sort of know that she's unhappy and they know that 1+1=2. She is not slacking off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics