Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Vacation Food- What to bring?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 12:50 pm
Wasn't sure what forum to post this in...

Going away with the kids for a few days and don't want to spend lots of money on food (eating out is always more expensive!) Can anyone share ideas of easy foods to bring and how to pack well so things don't leak or spill while traveling? Thanks!

So far ideas-
Pita and peanut butter and jelly
Cereals
Tradition soups
Mini pizzas and borekas

Dinner ideas?

For Shabbos-
meat and peas
chicken cutlets
deli sandwiches

Thanks!

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 12:54 pm
I bring a panini maker with bread cheese and ketchup for breakfast or lunch. I found that sandwich fulls everyone up very well and they aren’t looking to snack a half hour later.
You can also bring along olives/ spices to make it a bit more gourmet.

Annet

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 2:48 pm
Not sure where you are going and if you will have a kitchen but some ideas that you can either make in advance or there... pasta, pancakes (so many kinds - cottage cheese, veggie, etc), hard boiled eggs, kugel, shnitzel

sky

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 2:52 pm
Breakfast
Oatmeal packets
Cereal + milk
Yogurt
Muffins
Cereal bars
Hot cocoa
Coffee

Lunch
Peanut butter, tuna, cream cheese sandwiches
Sliced cheese
String cheese

Supper
Grilled chicken - can eat plain or in sandwiches
Deli sandwiches
Cup a soups

Is there nice weather. Can you bbq?

Are you driving? How long before Shabbos?
I’ve traveled with 2 crockpots. One with chicken for Friday night and one with cholent for day.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 3:02 pm
Will you have a kitchen where you are staying? If there is an oven, I make ahead and freeze 9x13 pans with baked ziti, lasagna or any other type of pasta that reheats well covered. I double wrap it at home and take along frozen and then pop in the oven.

If there is no oven, I always take along the following:
Electric Kettle - used for oatmeal, instant mashed potatoes, instant soups (which I don't normally let my kids eat, so it's a special vacation "treat"), hot cocoa.
Sandwich maker - We bring along cheese from home because that is hard to find kosher depending on where you are going, and then we go to a local grocery store or Walmart for bread, ketchup, eggs (so good in the sandwhich maker!), spices, etc. I don't shlep from home what can easily be bought on the road.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 10:13 pm
Thank you so much for all these suggestions! This was really helpful! I appreciate it!

jflower

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 3:40 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Will you have a kitchen where you are staying? If there is an oven, I make ahead and freeze 9x13 pans with baked ziti, lasagna or any other type of pasta that reheats well covered. I double wrap it at home and take along frozen and then pop in the oven.

If there is no oven, I always take along the following:
Electric Kettle - used for oatmeal, instant mashed potatoes, instant soups (which I don't normally let my kids eat, so it's a special vacation "treat"), hot cocoa.
Sandwich maker - We bring along cheese from home because that is hard to find kosher depending on where you are going, and then we go to a local grocery store or Walmart for bread, ketchup, eggs (so good in the sandwhich maker!), spices, etc. I don't shlep from home what can easily be bought on the road.

Eggs in the sandwich maker? Brilliant! Do they come out like an omelet?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen