Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
P'tcha/Galla Help

leahshprintza

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:40 pm
I tried making galla last week with a recipe that I found on instagram but it never gelled.
My dh's colleague said I should reheat the frozen and refrigerated galla and add more knuckle bones to the pot and cook it overnight. He also said I should put in 4 garlic bulbs. Last time around, I put in 4 tbsp of garlic powder. I'm really anxious about this galla because I don't like cooking things I don't have a handle on.

I guess I'm just looking for help and reassurance.

egam

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 5:26 pm
Most probably you either had too much water, or didn't cook it long enough. I always cook it overnight, so that saving suggestion sounds right.
Don't know about garlic though. 4 bulbs sound a lot. I usually add crushed garlic to taste after I strained the p'tcha. And I don't think I ever used more than 1 garlic for a huge pot.

Good luck.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 5:54 pm
leahshprintza wrote:
I tried making galla last week with a recipe that I found on instagram but it never gelled.
My dh's colleague said I should reheat the frozen and refrigerated galla and add more knuckle bones to the pot and cook it overnight. He also said I should put in 4 garlic bulbs. Last time around, I put in 4 tbsp of garlic powder. I'm really anxious about this galla because I don't like cooking things I don't have a handle on.

I guess I'm just looking for help and reassurance.

How long did you cook it for? If it didn't gel then that means that it didn't cook long enough for the cartilage to break down and ooze out.
I wouldn't use garlic powder. Use 1 head/bulb of garlic for very 2 knee bones when putting it up to cook. Peel and halve each clove in the bulb.
Post the recipe. I'll help you break it down.

leahshprintza

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:00 pm
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb.....flojh

They wrote to use 2 packs of bones but I only had one pack of 2 bones.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:04 pm
I make it with bones that still have tendon on them. Cook for 48 hours. Always gels.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:06 pm
leahshprintza wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbmyMTGgOOF/?igshid=1x8rpzv1flojh

They wrote to use 2 packs of bones but I only had one pack of 2 bones.

For 1 package containing 2 knee bones, use a 3 quart pot (otherwise it will just end up as flavored water).
Add 1 head of garlic, each clove peeled and halved.
Add just enough water to cover the bones.
Bring to a boil, low heat to small simmer, and let cook for about 6-7 hours.
Scrape off all jelly from bones and then remove the bones from the pot. Mash everything very well (or use a blender but just for a bit, don't pulverize it, you need some thickness or else the texture/layers will be off).
Season the mixture generously with kosher salt and black pepper to taste. Pour into a pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight until firm.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

chestnut

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:06 pm
Crush fresh garlic when it's cooked already.

leahshprintza

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:10 pm
ra_mom wrote:
For 1 package containing 2 knee bones, use a 3 quart pot (otherwise it will just end up as flavored water).
Scrape off all jelly from bones and then remove the bones from the pot. Mash everything very well (or use a blender but just for a bit, don't pulverize it, you need some thickness or else the texture/layers will be off).
Season the mixture generously with kosher salt and black pepper to taste. Pour into a pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight until firm.

Should I use my "flavored water" or start from fresh?
Also when do I freeze it? After I refrigerate?

mommybrr

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:14 pm
Best to start from scratch. Refrigerate till jelled and then freeze. When u defrost it, if the texture seems off, put in a pot, bring to a boil and refrigerate. Will be like fresh.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:15 pm
leahshprintza wrote:
Should I use my "flavored water" or start from fresh?
Also when do I freeze it? After I refrigerate?

Start fresh.
If you freeze, it should be after it already firmed up in the fridge. Just know that if you freeze it, you will need to recook it, then refrigerate again, in order for it to gel up again.

leahshprintza

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:25 pm
Thanks ra_mom! Im going to try it again and will hopefully be successful.
What should I do with my "flavored water"? Put it in the cholent?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:31 pm
leahshprintza wrote:
Thanks ra_mom! Im going to try it again and will hopefully be successful.
What should I do with my "flavored water"? Put it in the cholent?

Why not, good idea! Use it instead of water for the cholent.

mfb

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:40 pm
Anyone make it in an instapot?

Sarah S

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 7:17 pm
I put mines strait into the freezer when warm. I don't let it gel 1st. Then I boil it and refrigerate

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:45 pm
mfb wrote:

Instapot Ptcha would be an excellent name for a rock band.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 9:33 pm
mfb wrote:

I’ve done it but in my opinion you have to stay on top of recooking multiple cycles until all the collagen Melts and it’s pretty simple to just leave in a pot on the stove. Also I buy like 15 pounds of bones so it just doesn’t fit.

chestnut

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 11:29 pm
mfb wrote:

Yes, it's awesome!

mfb

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 11:43 am
chestnut wrote:
Yes, it's awesome!

Do u have a recipe?

leahshprintza

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 1:20 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Should I add the mixture back to the broth or discard the broth?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 1:37 pm
leahshprintza wrote:
Should I add the mixture back to the broth or discard the broth?

There is no broth. It is one mixture that you mix all together and chill to gel. Do not discard anything but the bones once the soft parts have been removed. The liquid is part of the gala.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics