Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Moving to Israel for one year?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 12:02 pm
Since I will be on mat leave starting in the summer for a whole year, a friend suggested taking the family to Israel for 1 year (as it would not impact their school year and hubby can potentially work remotely) to give them the experience of living in Israel. I was born in Israel and have lots of family there but I have no clue what would be involved with doing something like this now. Does anyone have experience with doing something like this? What would I need to consider?

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 12:09 pm
How well do your other kids speak Hebrew and how old are they?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 12:20 pm
Kids will be 9, 7 and 4. All have a fairly good understanding of Hebrew. Oldest speaks it a little (used to be a lot more when she was little)

ora_43

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 12:21 pm
Things to consider:

What you'd be hoping to get out of the experience, for yourself and your kids.

What you and they would do for a year.

What your budget is and where you could live/ would want to live.

Potential downsides (your kids missing their friends, etc. Also practical stuff - what would happen with wherever it is you're living now? sublet? etc).

For the logistical side of dealing with bureaucracy (you must be a citizen, does your dh need a visa? etc), sounds like something your closest Israeli consulate could help with.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 12:24 pm
Husband is also Israeli - would he need to go to the army?

The hope would be to sublet our house here.

What is tuition like in Israel for (modern) orthodox schools?

ora_43

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 12:26 pm
It could be great if you want to strengthen your kids' relationship with that part of the family, if you've always hoped they'd have good Hebrew skills, if you've always dreamed of unschooling, if your kids are up for the adventure.

It could be disappointing if you come with a vague idea of experiencing life in Israel, and end up in a place where you don't really know anyone and you and your kids are mostly bored and lonely.

(I've never tried it but I have close friends who've done it the other way around, ie spending 6-12 months in America or elsewhere overseas. It can be really great for family connections and language skills. The downside seems to be a bit more burden on the parent in terms of coordinating activities - eg your kids can't just spend the afternoon at a friend's house (for the first couple months, anyway)).

ora_43

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 12:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I doubt he'd need to go to the army. He's probably aged out.

Tuition is very reasonable but I have no idea how that would work with the kids' citizenship. I assume you have a right to schooling as a citizen, but then do you need to do the whole toshav chozer thing? Another question for the consulate.

There'd also be the language issue to consider. For some kids it's hard to suddenly be the worst in the class at reading (even if there's a really good reason for it). OTOH some kids have a great time. Very hard to say.

One other thing - health insurance. If you want insurance through the Israeli system you'd need to either make a lump payment (I think of like $3,000?) or wait a 6-month period.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 12:32 pm
Tuition is next to none. The schools are public schools registered as mamad schools for dati leumi; they only thing you have to pay for is a supplies/trips fee at the beginning of the year , not usually totalling more than a few hundred shekels. Are your kids Israeli citizens? I don't know how registration works for chutznikim.

As for army: assuming your husband is over 21, he's now in the clear.

Where would you want to live? Do you still have family here?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 12:37 pm
Bituach Leumi works likr that for non-citizens. Ask if you could have regular bituach Leumi as Israelis.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 3:12 pm
How much should we expect to pay rent in a place like yavne?

essie14

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 7:53 pm
If you were born in Israel you are either a ktina chozeret or toshav chozer. (Depending on the age you left)
Your children are all ezrach oleh and need Israeli passports before you come.
You have a complicated situation and you will have to speak with the consulate. Its going to be a lot of paperwork. AFAIK it's not going to be so simple to come for a year and then leave. It's going to impact any zchyot if you ever want to come back again.
You're also changing your kids status - they will now become ktin chozer instead of ezrach Oleh.

The other issue is uprooting your kids for just one year and then right as they get settled and feel comfortable, uprooting them again and taking them back.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 10:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Where do you live? We have thought of doing the reverse for a year or two so DH can finish up his degree (it's complicated). And the biggest issue is subletting, what to do with our stuff. We're not central (Jerusalem, Bnei Brak) but where we live gives the real Israeli experience and rent is cheap.
If you're interested post here and I'll set up an anon email so we can talk.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 10:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How much should we expect to pay rent in a place like yavne?

Check yad2.

Teomima

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 12:00 am
When I was 9 my family came to live, work, and study in Israel for 6 months. It was wonderful! We all loved the experience. I was a bit less thrilled when we made Aliyah a few years later but that was thirty years ago and I've made peace with it Very Happy

DrMom

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 12:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Kids will be 9, 7 and 4. All have a fairly good understanding of Hebrew. Oldest speaks it a little (used to be a lot more when she was little)

Sounds like they've cleared the most important hurdle.

Go for it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions