Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Any herring experts out there?

judyjew

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 2:23 pm
This may be a silly question but, is there a way to make herring without salt? I'm assuming that the normal pickling process that herring goes through would contain lots of salt. Trying to get a hold of salt free or very low sodium herring. Maybe there's a way I can make it myself?

malki2

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:27 pm
Can you get a hold of fresh herring? If so, then you could probably pickle it in vinegar. (I’d add some sugar and pepper). It would taste like the herring in wine sauce you buy in a jar. (I’ve never done it though.)

judyjew

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 5:45 pm
Sounds like a great idea! Any idea where I can get fresh herring?

singleagain

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 5:46 pm
Where are you located? Call your local fish guy and ask.

They will get it for you if you want. (Get the prices before)

judyjew

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 5:58 pm
I tried calling some places, so far no luck. Anyone know of a place in the tri-state area that would customize the herring for me?

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:08 pm
You can leave sugar out but don’t think you can leave salt out. It won’t cure. Eat cooked fish.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:10 pm
You can't commercially get fresh herring that I know of. You might be able to make a special herring.

Herring is usually packed w salt in large cans. We take this herring out and mix w oil salt and onions to make herring. It will not taste good without salt.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:18 pm
judyjew wrote:
I tried calling some places, so far no luck. Anyone know of a place in the tri-state area that would customize the herring for me?

Did you call Acme fish company in Brooklyn? They have open warehouse hours on Fridays. I think the managers name is Jerry. Ask if they can customize a low sodium herring for you. Their fresh cut lox is amazing. We drive to pick some up for shabbos often

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:19 pm
Call rubashkin meat store. I don't know if they still do but they used to sell herring that you could make yourself. Otherwise maybe raskins - do they have a storefront? I would also try freunds.

malki2

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:59 pm
andrea levy wrote:
You can leave sugar out but don’t think you can leave salt out. It won’t cure. Eat cooked fish.

Really, I never knew that! So how do they make the pickled herring? It doesn’t taste like it has too much salt in it.

EishesYo

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 1:19 pm
bumping this!!

anyone know how I can make the oneg shabbos herring like Schwartz?
We dont live close enough to buy it and im in the mood!!

Mashy123

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 11:04 pm
I know this an old thread, but just bumped into this as I was looking for salmon fish recipes.

I would try Freunds fish store, they are known to have all specialties, but the might ask a nice buck for it.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 1:19 am
avrahamama wrote:
Did you call Acme fish company in Brooklyn? They have open warehouse hours on Fridays. I think the managers name is Jerry. Ask if they can customize a low sodium herring for you. Their fresh cut lox is amazing. We drive to pick some up for shabbos often

If you’re talking about the one in Williamsburg, be careful. The whole store doesn’t have hashgacha, only the pre packaged items. The fresh stuff not. I used to think you can buy everything there until I found out this mistake and I spoke to the hashgacha agency that certifies them.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:56 am
Could you find the lowest sodium brand out there and soak it a bit to get out the salt? And yeah, some flavor too but it might work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics