Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
WIC tips
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 3:41 pm
We just signed up for WIC today and I've got some questions for those that have used it (and others with ideas):
1. There's a high likelihood that some of this will be too much (for example we're getting 13 gallons of milk in total and we currently only buy like half of that right now) - what did you do? Just not get all of it? Get it all and give some away? It only says that you can't sell it, nothing about giving it away and I know people in need so...
2. I'd like to get as much value as I can - any good tips, ideas, and recipes that include the food items?
Thank you!

tryinghard

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 3:55 pm
The way it works now, at least in NYS, you just use the benefits as you need them (used to be a sort of “scavenger hunt” with certain combinations and you had to buy everything listed on a particular check. So just buy the milk you need and see how it goes.
There are those who will say to buy and give away the extra... do what you feel is appropriate, ask a shayla if you think you should do so.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:02 pm
I'm not in NY and the electronic system isn't starting until June, so we're using the checks. I don't want to do anything against the law, I just forgot to ask the WIC people today if I'm allowed to do that.
Any recipes with canned salmon, beans, corn tortillas, rice, etc? Milk, cheese, fruits and veg, bread, pasta, etc I know what to do with. The ones listed though I've only got a few ideas...

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:05 pm
We used to be on WIC and developed very healthy eating habits from it. It’s an amazing program. We used the chickpeas to make chumus, roasted chickpeas, and in salads. We used the cereal for breakfast and sometimes to make rice crispy treats. Baby jars - the carrots are great for carrot muffins. The Whole wheat tortillas / wraps - grilled cheese, tuna melts, chicken salad, anything.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:14 pm
I eat canned salmon all.the.time. I just mix it with mayonaisse and eat it as a sandwhich or with pasta but it has to be the red with bones type. is that what they give? My toddler also eats it.

Beans we love as well. I often make dairy tacos with sour cream, shredded cheese, and I sautee the beans with taco seasoning. I've started making up my own based on pennilessparenting.com's homemade taco seasoning, it tastes like the seasoning on barbecue chips, yum!

we also roast chickpeas- just had that today. My toddler will eat canned beans just straight. I rinse them first to get rid of the salt and if it's chickpeas take off skin but for pinto... I don't bother.

brown rice- I make a baked rice recipe I got from imamother. I serve it with fish, chicken, whatever really. It's a great carb side.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:32 pm
When I had WIC, DH used to take the milk we didn't use to shul.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 4:37 pm
Thanks so much! Do you have a recipe for the dairy tacos? and how do you make roasted chickpeas?
Yes, I realize this will iyH help us eat healthier (we already eat pretty healthy, and I grew up eating very healthy (funnily enough my parents used WIC for a few years when we were little and I'm seeing a lot of these items in my mother's weekly supper menu even though she hasn't used it in years) but recently the goal has been fast and easy because of life circumstances)

tothepoint

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:32 pm
Under which category does chickpeas fall under? Beans? Never realized I can purchase chickpeas

bsy

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:50 pm
tothepoint wrote:
Under which category does chickpeas fall under? Beans? Never realized I can purchase chickpeas

Yes

trixx

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:54 pm
http://overtimecook.com/2011/1.....alad/

You can make patties with canned tuna/salmon or combo

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:56 pm
I don't feel that there is anything wrong with taking the items you were given by wic, even if you won't use all of it. I give it to others who are struggling but are not on govt programs and can really use the help.
I understand that others may feel uncomfortable doing this, so you can ask your LOR if you'd like.
Regarding food items, you really have to see what works for you. You may be taking pb for 3 months and then realize that you have 5 jars of pb in your cabinet with nothing to do with it! So the for the next while don't get any pb and use up the ones you have.
I get pretty basic food items that I would use eitherway (bread, cheese, beans (use for cholent or get chickpeas), pasta, etc.)
The only thing I don't need is frozen juice. I have nothing to do with frozen oj.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:57 pm
You also can freeze milk so you don't have to worry about it spoiling before you have a chance to use it.

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:57 pm
Just don't buy what you don't need.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 9:35 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
You also can freeze milk so you don't have to worry about it spoiling before you have a chance to use it.

She'll be getting additional milk before she has a chance to use the frozen ones. BTDT.

My friend used the extra milk to make her own yogurt. Although, I think they give yogurt now, too.

I have no idea what their cheshbon with the milk is. My kids drink A LOT of milk. I never knew what to do with the amount they gave. Until I had more kids over 5 than under 5, then we enjoyed the extra milk.

baby12x

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 1:07 am
Here are some soups that use beans:

https://adimesaved.com/5-frugal-soups

Also check out:
Www.budgetbytes.com
Its sorted by food category and has a lot of great ideas

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 3:49 am
They give tonsa milk cuz they drink milk at supper when n we don't meat/dairy

Just wondering why yvy cant talk to them and explain. Give more yogurt and cottage cheese

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Jan 18 2020, 6:57 pm
You can made ricotta cheese with the extra milk or use it in pancakes, milchik soup, lasagna, white pasta sauce.

There's usually an option at your next appointment to get part soy milk and/or tofu

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Jan 18 2020, 7:58 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
We used to be on WIC and developed very healthy eating habits from it. It’s an amazing program. We used the chickpeas to make chumus, roasted chickpeas, and in salads. We used the cereal for breakfast and sometimes to make rice crispy treats. Baby jars - the carrots are great for carrot muffins. The Whole wheat tortillas / wraps - grilled cheese, tuna melts, chicken salad, anything.

I wish I can get Rice Krispies. NYC WIC does not cover Rice Krispies.

tryinghard

Post Sat, Jan 18 2020, 9:29 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
She'll be getting additional milk before she has a chance to use the frozen ones. BTDT.

My friend used the extra milk to make her own yogurt. Although, I think they give yogurt now, too.

I have no idea what their cheshbon with the milk is. My kids drink A LOT of milk. I never knew what to do with the amount they gave. Until I had more kids over 5 than under 5, then we enjoyed the extra milk.

When DD was about 2, I remember having an argument with the WIC nutritionist who was insisting that DD was drinking too much milk (mind you, within the amount that WIC provided!). I kept telling her that the pediatrician was happy with the situation, but she kept on referring back to textbook rules. It frustrated me that the this shnook of a dietitian KNEW that she knew better than my pediatrician, who has the medical degree, about 25 years more experience, and has been following DD since she was 1 day old!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Jan 18 2020, 9:35 pm
tryinghard wrote:
When DD was about 2, I remember having an argument with the WIC nutritionist who was insisting that DD was drinking too much milk (mind you, within the amount that WIC provided!). I kept telling her that the pediatrician was happy with the situation, but she kept on referring back to textbook rules. It frustrated me that the this shnook of a dietitian KNEW that she knew better than my pediatrician, who has the medical degree, about 25 years more experience, and has been following DD since she was 1 day old!

The WIC dieticians are terribly underqualified. I had one who tried convincing me that my lactose intolerant toddler needed to eat more cheese and yogurt. Can't Believe It
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics