Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Hypothetical Discussion--Standardized "canned" lessons
Previous  1  2

nylon

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 9:54 pm
Both He'Atid and Westchester torah Academy use a blended model. It works well for some kids, not for all.

But the lessons can't just be canned--it doesn't work unless there's someone behind the scenes who is able to adapt content. That's why the blended model schools don't rely on it for more than a third of the time. It's not interactive and customized enough and the software isn't nearly at the point of being able to do that.

dankbar

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 10:11 pm
I would probably totally tune out

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 5:05 pm
nylon wrote:
Both He'Atid and Westchester torah Academy use a blended model. It works well for some kids, not for all.

But the lessons can't just be canned--it doesn't work unless there's someone behind the scenes who is able to adapt content. That's why the blended model schools don't rely on it for more than a third of the time. It's not interactive and customized enough and the software isn't nearly at the point of being able to do that.

Blended learning is definitely a niche model. It works for some but not for most as evidenced by the high student and faculty churn rate at westchester torah academy at least. I have not heard anything any He'Atid one way or the other.

Hopefully someone will one day conduct a study to evaluate how yeshiva students graduating from a blended learning model do in Hebrew High School as compared to those students graduating from yeshivas with conventional learning models..

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 5:11 pm
They tried this in Monsey. The boys broke through the filters and watched sports and p○rn. They also cheated a lot by communicating with each other.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:13 pm
Truthfully if you took the technology aspect out of this, it is more or less the same as giving each kid a workbook or huge packet to work through on their own. Which everyone would label as "busy work" and be pretty unenthusiastic about.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 6:23 pm
I teach in a special ed classroom where my students are a wide variety of levels so I can't teach the same material to everyone . We use computer programs like I-ready , dreambox, ixl, st math, for most of the math learning . It's not just a dry lesson. It's interactive and the students for the most part do well with it .

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 7:15 pm
Dreambox is decent. But it was not supposed to take the place of actual lessons. Just use for remediation/extension/practice of skills.
My students hated I-Ready.
All of these type of programs are meant to supplement the lessons, not be used in place of instruction...

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 7:18 pm
dankbar wrote:
I would probably totally tune out

The computer time is interactive at He’Atid, think educational games, not videos.

Zehava

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:12 pm
A 15 minute lesson a day combined with abcmouse has brought my son to above grade level in reading. Abcmouse is the treat. He loves it and begs for it. It’s a brilliant model that incorporates rewards into the program and proceeds at a child’s pace.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:18 pm
Sure, 15 minutes daily = supplementary to the lesson. Like an interactive mini lesson.

Not the main part or in place of, the actual lesson.

Zehava

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:21 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Sure, 15 minutes daily = supplementary to the lesson. Like an interactive mini lesson.

Not the main part or in place of, the actual lesson.

I wish
The fact is, these ARE the main lessons. He isn’t learning to read anywhere else.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:33 pm
Yikes. Confused
That is a shame, your son is obviously extremely bright if 15 min daily of just supplementary resources goes so far.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:44 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Truthfully if you took the technology aspect out of this, it is more or less the same as giving each kid a workbook or huge packet to work through on their own. Which everyone would label as "busy work" and be pretty unenthusiastic about.

I don't get your point. The point is that with technology, there's some form of feedback and guidance, unlike a workbook.

Though I do remember about 40+ years ago in middle school we had an enrichment system for free time called the SR something or other and it was self-propelled learning. But it was more like supplemental, not teaching actual required material, necessary building blocks of basic knowledge.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:52 pm
I've used these programs in the classroom. The kids did not learn more than they did when I taught them using a combo of hands on lessons+ some guided practice. Actually, we were supposed to heavily track the data for analysis so we could reteach as needed. What I came out with, even with feedback and automatic level adjustment, most kids would need reteaching of skills they learned solely through the online programs. Whereas, the ones taught by the teacher tended to be grasped quickly and retained at a better rate. For the most part, the skills they flew through were the ones I had already introduced in previous lessons.
So yes, these programs have their place. Good supplements, especially for review and extra practice. But they can't take the place of actual teacher instruction. Which is what I would say about busy work packets.

Zehava

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:53 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Yikes. Confused
That is a shame, your son is obviously extremely bright if 15 min daily of just supplementary resources goes so far.

It’s 15 minutes of a lesson with me, plus additional time with abcmouse.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics